Razor: GEM Featherweight Deluxe
Blade: GEM Personna (6)
Brush: Mühle 35K256 25mm Silvertip Fibre
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Post-shave: Dickinson's Hydrating Toner
Aftershave Balm: Bath and Bodyworks Hyaluronic Acid Gel
Aftershave: Brut Classic

WTG, XTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

BBS (Bride approved) with zero weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

The GEM Featherweight Deluxe is my kind of razor. Shaves so naturally and comfortably. Absolutely effortless. Nimble - adapts to the contours of my face. Great hand and face feel.

My kind of shave! Awesome! :)

YMMV

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200426
shave 20200426.jpg

Razor: Blackland Sabre, Level 2
Blade: GEM Personna (7)
Brush: Made Rite 34, 24mm Maggard Synthetic Knot
Aftershave: Floïd

The Blackland Sabre Level 2 takes all of the good attributes of the GEM Featherweight Deluxe and ramps up the efficiency a good notch or so. That means that it is not quite as "auto pilot" as the Featherweight Deluxe. As with the Featherweight Deluxe, it shaves naturally and comfortably. Absolutely effortless. Nimble - adapts to the contours of my face. Great hand and face feel.

Really great razor!

My kind of shave! :)

YMMV

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MicroMaticMonday or GEMonday, April 27th 2020- Well I thought I would do some experimenting today with the Gem Featherweight Gen#1 head VS Gen #2 head and I have both heads other than the handles and that is basically the difference.(It's not a perfect shaving world in my Den) All I did was WTG 1st pass followed by ATG 2nd pass on the left side with Generation #1 the original Featherweight in all it's glory(toughest beard side under the jaw line for me also)with no touch ups to see how best to accurately gauge the shave. And on the right side I went with Generation #2 head(Gem G-Bar) with same procedure. WTG 1st pass and 2nd pass ATG to see if there is a difference. If you go to a 3 pass shave it is hard to mark a lot of differences because all I'm using is feel of my hand. And the winner for the closest 2 pass shave goes to Generation #1 head for the best performance with a new Gem Personna SS PTFE (1) that was placed in the Gen #2 head after first side completed. Cheeks were very similar in closeness on both sides but under the jaw lines Gen #1 (Featherweight Gen#1 was noticeably better for closeness).
Looks like a different MMMonday today with a 2 razor shave which is a rarity for myself but also had a little fun also. :lol: :out::001_wub:
Razor: Gem Featherweight Gen #1 -MFG 1950-53
Razor : Gem G-Bar with Gen #2 head that was also on the Featherweight later models from 1953-55/G-bar MFG 1955-58.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (1) great all around blade.
Soap: Razorock "The Dead Sea" great scent with good lather qualities IMO.
Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24mm- great bush that I have used a lot over the last 3 1/2 yrs.
Preshave: Showered- washed the face with regular hand bar soap.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2.
Post shave: Razorock "The Dead Sea" aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea Men balm.
Result :Gem Feather weight)CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 tiny weeper= :thumbsup: good shave for a 2 pass shave.
Results:Gem G-Bar) CCS,DFS,BBS + minor irritation + 2 tiny weepers = :wink2: reasonable shave for only a 2 pass- I need a 3 pass with a G-bar for it to shine IMO.

MMMonday Featherweight GEN1 VS GEN2 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
MicroMaticMonday or GEMonday, April 27th 2020- Well I thought I would do some experimenting today with the Gem Featherweight Gen#1 head VS Gen #2 head and I have both heads other than the handles and that is basically the difference.(It's not a perfect shaving world in my Den) All I did was WTG 1st pass followed by ATG 2nd pass on the left side with Generation #1 the original Featherweight in all it's glory(toughest beard side under the jaw line for me also)with no touch ups to see how best to accurately gauge the shave. And on the right side I went with Generation #2 head(Gem G-Bar) with same procedure. WTG 1st pass and 2nd pass ATG to see if there is a difference. If you go to a 3 pass shave it is hard to mark a lot of differences because all I'm using is feel of my hand. And the winner for the closest 2 pass shave goes to Generation #1 head for the best performance with a new Gem Personna SS PTFE (1) that was placed in the Gen #2 head after first side completed. Cheeks were very similar in closeness on both sides but under the jaw lines Gen #1 (Featherweight Gen#1 was noticeably better for closeness).
Looks like a different MMMonday today with a 2 razor shave which is a rarity for myself but also had a little fun also. :lol: :out::001_wub:
Razor: Gem Featherweight Gen #1 -MFG 1950-53
Razor : Gem G-Bar with Gen #2 head that was also on the Featherweight later models from 1953-55/G-bar MFG 1955-58.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (1) great all around blade.
Soap: Razorock "The Dead Sea" great scent with good lather qualities IMO.
Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24mm- great bush that I have used a lot over the last 3 1/2 yrs.
Preshave: Showered- washed the face with regular hand bar soap.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2.
Post shave: Razorock "The Dead Sea" aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea Men balm.
Result :Gem Feather weight)CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 tiny weeper= :thumbsup: good shave for a 2 pass shave.
Results:Gem G-Bar) CCS,DFS,BBS + minor irritation + 2 tiny weepers = :wink2: reasonable shave for only a 2 pass- I need a 3 pass with a G-bar for it to shine IMO.

MMMonday Featherweight GEN1 VS GEN2 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!
Excellent comparison!

Thank you, @Ron R :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200427
20200427_134321~2.jpg

Razor: GEM MMOC
Blade: GEM Personna (8 & retired)
Brush: Vielong (Epsilon) 24mm Horsehair Fan
Aftershave: Epsilon Mediterranean Blue
Cologne: Classic Match Blue Eau de Toilette Spray (Polo Blue clone)

WTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with zero weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

The GEM MMOC is one of the best razors out there. Really efficient, without being brutally aggressive.

With the MMOC, go steep or go home. This razor loves a steep angle. Much more natural (to me) with the MMOC.

Really great razor!

YMMV

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200428
shave 20200428.jpg

Razor: Occam's Razor, 3-dot cap
Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional (1)
Brush: Omega EVO 28mm Synthetic
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Sport
Cologne: Aqua Velva Musk

DFS+ with zero weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

The combination of the Occam's Razor with the 3-dot (most aggressive) cap and the Feather Artist Club Professional blade produced the best results I've experienced with this razor. Definitely an improvement over my previous shaves with this razor. :)

YMMV

Shave 20200422
View attachment 1090606
Razor: GEM Junior 1912, Bakelite Handle
Blade: GEM Personna (4)
Brush: @Graydog 26mm Silver Synth
Post-shave: Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

DFS++ (BBS everywhere except between my nose and top lip) with no weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

The GEM Junior 1912 with the big Bakelite handle is such a cool razor. Comfortable to hold and use. Provides a smooth, close and comfortable shave! I really like this razor. :)

Really a great shave! :)

YMMV

love that razor!

especially love that brush!!!!! and I dont get all excited about brushes often.

camo

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
It's not really a comparison if you love them all. 😂

I like to optimize each razor with blade, angle and overall technique to get the best possible performance. Doing this, I can usually get DFS minimum shaves from every one of the SE razors included in this comparison.

Doesn't mean that I would reach for every one of the razors every day. ;)

I've tried to list any positive and deficient attributes for each razor. If you read my notes, I don't think these are too many questions regarding which razors are my favorites. ;)

Trying to be objective, I've been keeping a relative score for each razor. They are all pretty close when I take, as much as humanly possible, my personal preferences and biases out of the equation.

Please feel free to contribute your comments on specific razors if you disagree or think I've missed the boat. That's the kind of discussion I'd hoped to generate by doing this thread. :)

Just my opinions and YMMV. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200503
20200503_083748~2.jpg

Razor: GEM Junior G Bar
Blade: Personna GEM (1)
Brush: Omega 28MM EVO
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat ("Once you've had 'The Fat', you never go back" ;))
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Aftershave: Floïd
Cologne: Lagerfeld Classic EdT

First shave with my new (to me) GEM Junior G Bar Lather Catcher. Intuitive, natural, comfortable, efficient, wonderful razor!

Outstanding Sunday shave! :)

YMMV

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200504
20200504_100535~2.jpg

Blade: Personna GEM (2)
Brush: Zenith S10 26mm Synthetic
Aftershave: Clubman Osage Rub
Cologne: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve

The second shave with my new (to me) GEM Junior G Bar Lather Catcher was just as intuitive, natural, comfortable, efficient and wonderful as the first. Great razor! :)

Outstanding shave! :)

YMMV

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Shave 20200504
View attachment 1097570
Blade: Personna GEM (2)
Brush: Zenith S10 26mm Synthetic
Aftershave: Clubman Osage Rub
Cologne: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve

The second shave with my new (to me) GEM Junior G Bar Lather Catcher was just as intuitive, natural, comfortable, efficient and wonderful as the first. Great razor! :)

Outstanding shave! :)

YMMV
Looks like you are enjoying your Gem Junior bar Lather catcher, I find it one of my more enjoyable shaves with the audio feedback and almost a carefree shave a person can ask for. I put a Gem Personna SS PTFE blade in mine and with the sharpness of the blade and the perfect engineering that Gem put into this razor is almost a perfect shave every time.
Have some great shaves!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200505
20200505_100635~2.jpg

Razor: GEM Featherweight V1
Blade: Personna GEM (3)
Brush: PAA Solar Flare 24mm Nexus Hybrid Synthetic
Soap: Le Père Lucien Oud-Santal
Aftershave: Reuzel
Cologne: Classic Match version of Polo Supreme Oud

Shaved with the non-Deluxe V1 silver version of my favored Featherweight Deluxe. Comparing the heads, both appear to be V1. Similar shave to the Deluxe - close, comfortable and smooth.

Very satisfying shave! :)

YMMV

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200507
20200507_105124~2.jpg

Razor: GEM Featherweight Deluxe
Blade: Personna GEM (4)
Brush: @Graydog 26mm Full Moon "Chubby"
Soap: Stirling Electric Sheep
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Electric Sheep
Cologne: Pinaud Clubman Citrus Musk

The Featherweight Deluxe (including the regular Featherweight V1, which is very close to the Deluxe) and my new (to me ;)) GEM Junior Bar are my favorite GEM razors. They just flat work and give me really close, really comfortable, really smooth and really effortless shaves every time.

Very satisfying shave! :)

YMMV

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200508
20200508_145013~2.jpg

Razor: RazoRock Hawk V3-A
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch w/Guard (4)
Brush: PAA Peregrino 24mm Roswell Hybrid Synthetic
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

DFS with zero weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

The RazoRock Hawk V3-A arrived yesterday. The RazoRock V3-OC (ordered a week before the A) is still stuck at Customs in Chicago.

First shave with the V3-A: This is not an aggressive razor, quite the opposite.

Tried to go steep - nope. Very inefficient. Seems to have a very narrow angle (shallow side of neutral) where you can actually get a nice, fairly efficient shave.

At the effective angle, the V3-A is a mild razor that provides a smooth, irritation-free DFS. Not particularly long lasting.

I'll try the V3-A tomorrow with a Feather blade (no guard) and see if I can coax some additional efficiency out of it.

YMMV

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200509
shave 20200509.jpg

Razor: RazoRock Hawk V3-A
Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional (2)
Brush: @Graydog 26mm Silver Synth
Cream: La Toja
Aftershave: La Toja
Cologne: Preferred Stock

BBS (Bride Approved) with zero weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

What a difference a different blade makes! The RR V3-A is still not what I would call an aggressive razor but the change to the Feather blade really balanced out the shave. Still not a razor that likes a steep angle but now the preferred angle (shallow side of neutral) is reasonably efficient without being brutal. I feel that I can get consistent DFS or better shaves with this combination.

YMMV

Top Bottom