What's new

Time To Do A SE Razor Shaving Comparison

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB :001_wub:
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (6)
Brush: Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Lather: La Toja Stick
Aftershave/Fragrance: PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum Aftershave-Cologne
20210516_132946~2.jpg

Love the way the Vector gets through my whiskers and how wonderfully it treats my face. Shaving with the Vector feels natural and very comfortable. :thumbup:

Superb razor! :cool:

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210517_141410~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Sabre L2 :001_wub:
Blade: Personna GEM (2)
Brush: Rudy Vey Keyhole (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Aftershave: RazoRock Unlabeled Project

The Sabre cruises through my whiskers - efficient and effective. Shaving with the Sabre is an absolute pleasure. :thumbup:

Superb shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210520_214102~2.jpg

Razor: Jones Shake Sharp v1
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (2)
Brush: Rudy Vey Lime Swirl (Shavemac D01 2-Band Badger)
Aftershave: Unnamed Prototype #3 (Combination of Bay Rums + Sweet Tobacco Fragrance Oil)

The Jones Shake Sharp v1 uses one to two stacked DE blades in a Single Edge configuration. It is an awesome razor and is definitely in my Big Dog Rotation! :thumbup:

Excellent shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'm enjoying this thread but I was curious if you had a relative ranking yet of the razors.

Here's my current thinking:

AC Blade Razors:
  • Blackland Razors Vector (OC & SB Plates)
  • Colonial Razors The General
  • RazoRock Hawk v3 OC
GEM Blade Razors:
  • Blackland Razors Sabre L2
  • GEM MMOC
  • GEM Featherweight Deluxe
  • Ever-Ready 1914 "Little Lather Catcher"
DE Blade used in a Single Edge configuration:
  • Jones Shake Sharp v1
  • Jones Shake Sharp v2
Hope this helps. :)

As always, YMMV. :cool:

Thanks! I've just gotten back to SE after exclusively using DEs (with and without a beard) for a few years. I'm really enjoying them again and really like the Hawk v3 Standard along with the ECO. As for the older GEMs I'm happy to stick with the Featherweight for now, but I might move up to the GEM 1912 again, but I don't think I'll be moving the the MMOC again since I prefer milder razors these days.

I would love to try the Vector someday but not sure I can justify the price since it seems just a bit better than the Hawk.

Looking forward to following more of your posts.

Thanks! I've just gotten back to SE after exclusively using DEs (with and without a beard) for a few years. I'm really enjoying them again and really like the Hawk v3 Standard along with the ECO. As for the older GEMs I'm happy to stick with the Featherweight for now, but I might move up to the GEM 1912 again, but I don't think I'll be moving the the MMOC again since I prefer milder razors these days.

I would love to try the Vector someday but not sure I can justify the price since it seems just a bit better than the Hawk.

@dabrock I just used a MMOC for the first time today. If used correctly it is actually “mild” in feel with a ridiculous amount of efficiency. I think it is as smooth as my Flying Wing and Featherweight. I just wanted to let you know as a new MMOC Guy, that you can still keep it on your list if you want.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Thank you very much. Appreciate your feedback. :)

The Vector is a very special razor and is definitely my favorite AC blade razor. The more I use it, the more I appreciate it. :)

@dabrock I just used a MMOC for the first time today. If used correctly it is actually “mild” in feel with a ridiculous amount of efficiency. I think it is as smooth as my Flying Wing and Featherweight. I just wanted to let you know as a new MMOC Guy, that you can still keep it on your list if you want.

Thanks, I might bring it out again, but I remember it being rather irritating with the PTFE coated blades. My Featherweight and Pushbutton were the only GEM razors I could use with fresh PTFE blades without feeling irritation until I had 3 or so shaves on them. I seem to recall that there were a number of people that found PTFE to be irritating when fresh.

Yes! That’s why some of the folks, like @woodfluter , recommended palm stropping before the first use. Removing the micro burr without using the face.

But what fun would that be? 🤣 At least I've found that I don't have any issues if I do a couple of shaves first in my Featherlight or Push Button, so it's not horrible. I used to do palm stropping but didn't find it helped much for the MMOC but I think for the 1912 it did help.

Ha, good timing to see this thread on new. I just came by to thank @Blackland Razors for making the Sabre because I just tried the L1 for the first time with a fresh blade and it was the first time I had enjoyable shave on a fresh Gem blade, Featherweight didn't quite do it for me. Speaking of which, the Sabre is anything but feather-weight. I guess maybe a particularly impressive ostrich feather? At any rate, thanks Shane, I really enjoy the MMOC and now I can use it more often because this is a great way to get the blades ready.

Thing is, this was also the first time I palmed stropped a Gem blade as I'd not run into that advice until a few months back (not sure how, seems like it's widely known ...and months because Gem blades last forever and my straights beckon). So more experimentation is in order, I guess @never-stop-learning is apt for this hobby, always more experiments.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Ha, good timing to see this thread on new. I just came by to thank @Blackland Razors for making the Sabre because I just tried the L1 for the first time with a fresh blade and it was the first time I had enjoyable shave on a fresh Gem blade, Featherweight didn't quite do it for me. Speaking of which, the Sabre is anything but feather-weight. I guess maybe a particularly impressive ostrich feather? At any rate, thanks Shane, I really enjoy the MMOC and now I can use it more often because this is a great way to get the blades ready.

Thing is, this was also the first time I palmed stropped a Gem blade as I'd not run into that advice until a few months back (not sure how, seems like it's widely known ...and months because Gem blades last forever and my straights beckon). So more experimentation is in order, I guess @never-stop-learning is apt for this hobby, always more experiments.

Thank you very much! :)

I like to learn something new about our shaving hobby every day! :cool:

So just for "fun" I decided to break out my MMOC and see how well I could use it. This was actually my second shave of the day so I wasn't really looking for efficiency, which I know is very good, but I was trying to see if my technique was good enough that I could get a shave without irritation or nicks.

I just did a single pass and had no issues with it so I'm confident that I can use it to get a great shave in the future. The only question is how often I'll rotate this and my other GEM razors in since I have way too many good razors!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB :001_wub:
Blade: Schick Proline (1)
Brush: Rudy Vey "The Favorite" (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave/Fragrance: Bootlegger's El Dorado
20210523_115234~2.jpg

Shaving with the Vector is a pleasure - absolutely effortless and highly effective. It doesn't get any better than this. :thumbup:

Top Tier Razor, Superb Shave! :cool:

Top Bottom