What's new

Time To Do A SE Razor Shaving Comparison

Shave 20200620
View attachment 1115711
Razor: RazoRock Hawk V3-OC, TiBam Titanium "Antique" Handle
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch w/Guard (7)
Brush: @Rudy Vey AS3M w/25mm Mühle STF Knot
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Soap: Zingari Man, 'The Wanderer':
Post-shave: Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Stetson Cooling and Moisturizing
Cologne: Original Stetson

WTG, XTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ (really close to BBS) with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Really comfortable, close, effortless - top flight! The V3-OC and the Colonial General V2 are definitely my current favorite AC razors. Getting the Blackland Vector for Father's Day and can't wait to compare it to these wonderful razors.

Outstanding shave! :)

Hi @never-stop-learning,
How do you compare MMOC with Razorock Hawk v3 OC?
I find that Hawk v3 OC serves me better than ATT SE1 does, especially in Adam's apple area.
I am now a bit interested in MMOC.
I appreciate your opinions a lot.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hi @never-stop-learning,
How do you compare MMOC with Razorock Hawk v3 OC?
I find that Hawk v3 OC serves me better than ATT SE1 does, especially in Adam's apple area.
I am now a bit interested in MMOC.
I appreciate your opinions a lot.

The MMOC (GEM blade) will shave differently than thr V3-OC (AC blade). Different type of blade = different overall feel. Have you shaved with a GEM blade razor?

The MMOC is very efficient and effective, capable of outstanding results. Care, focus and excellent technique are required.

The V3-OC offers the flexibility of dialing in more (or less) efficiency by using different brands of AC blades, with or without guard.

Both are very good razors. The MMOC is also a Classic.

If possible, get both. Both are excellent razors and will provide variety in your shaving experience.

The MMOC (GEM blade) will shave differently than thr V3-OC (AC blade). Different type of blade = different overall feel. Have you shaved with a GEM blade razor?

The MMOC is very efficient and effective, capable of outstanding results. Care, focus and excellent technique are required.

The V3-OC offers the flexibility of dialing in more (or less) efficiency by using different brands of AC blades, with or without guard.

Both are very good razors. The MMOC is also a Classic.

If possible, get both. Both are excellent razors and will provide variety in your shaving experience.

Hi @never-stop-learning,
I appreciate your quick relies very much.
I have not used a GEM before.
My only two SE razors: ATT SE1 and RR Hawk v3 OC.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hi @never-stop-learning,
I appreciate your quick relies very much.
I have not used a GEM before.
My only two SE razors: ATT SE1 and RR Hawk v3 OC.

Hi @Vincentchou,

Some prefer AC blade razors, some prefer GEM blade razors and some (like me) enjoy both formats.

If you do get the MMOC, get the Personna GEM or Ted Pella blades. Excellent results with either blade.

Hope this helps.

I really look forward to next year.
I'm itching to try a GEM type razor. I think I've settled on a Blackland Sabre. But my question is what base should I get? I guess I can answer my own question with another question of how I expect to shave with it.

I love using my Mongoose with Feather Pro, but I really only will reach for that on a weekend or other day off when I have more time to really focus on what I'm doing. 90% of the time I'm reaching for my Schick I1 with a Chick. I can be fast and don't have to think so much about what I'm doing. It's really a complete 180 from using the Mongoose. It also really only yields a DFS which is fine for me on a daily basis.

I'm also very interested in trying a different AC blade like a Titan Mild or Schick P-30. I've heard very good things about them. I've tried the Feather Pro Guard and did not like it at all. I did a better job using them in my King Cobra then the Mongoose. Putting them in the mongoose yielded results that were quite the opposite of what the blades are supposed to be good for.

I'm also considering the Ted Pella or Personna injector blades for my I1 just to see how I like them. Personnaly though, I think the Chicks are about perfect.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I really look forward to next year.
I'm itching to try a GEM type razor. I think I've settled on a Blackland Sabre. But my question is what base should I get? I guess I can answer my own question with another question of how I expect to shave with it.

I love using my Mongoose with Feather Pro, but I really only will reach for that on a weekend or other day off when I have more time to really focus on what I'm doing. 90% of the time I'm reaching for my Schick I1 with a Chick. I can be fast and don't have to think so much about what I'm doing. It's really a complete 180 from using the Mongoose. It also really only yields a DFS which is fine for me on a daily basis.

I'm also very interested in trying a different AC blade like a Titan Mild or Schick P-30. I've heard very good things about them. I've tried the Feather Pro Guard and did not like it at all. I did a better job using them in my King Cobra then the Mongoose. Putting them in the mongoose yielded results that were quite the opposite of what the blades are supposed to be good for.

I'm also considering the Ted Pella or Personna injector blades for my I1 just to see how I like them. Personnaly though, I think the Chicks are about perfect.

Regarding the Sabre, you have a choice of the L1 plate (mild), L2 plate (moderate) or both.

I use the L2 plate and find it to be smooth while still efficient. The Sabre is definitely in my regular rotation.

Okay time for my update on the Sabre . . . (It's been long enough eh?)
Having been a member here for a little while now, and also being an analyst by trade, I've established a good working process to experiment with the new razor.

It helps to know that I participated this year's One Blade February and also the Fixed Four for March Madness. So, that being said, I basically took the February challenge and extended it through March. I used one setup and rarely varied. It is my experience that in order to really be proficient with a razor I need to use it (and it alone) for a good solid month.

Here was my setup:
I don't use preshave products but do typically shower before shaving.
Razor: Blackland Sabre - I have both base plates to use.
Blade: GEM PTFE - I used this blade for the entire month of February, only changing it out for March which I really needed to do by the time the new month rolled around.
Soap: Proaraso Green (tub) 3017 Baby ! ! ! - I finished what was left of this soap in early April. I honestly thought that I wasn't going to make it through March with it.
Brush: Razorock Plissoft Synth - Italian Flag (pairs nicely with my Italian soap:))

Having previously used a King Cobra, Schick Injector (I1), and Mongoose (M1), I certainly had enough technique to get myself started.
The 1st thing I did was mistakenly use the level 2 plate with a fresh blade. It didn't feel right. It's really hard to describe but it seemed almost too dull and tuggy. I figured that that was the coating that hadn't worn off yet, but I just couldn't get past it. So I tried changing to the level 1 plate and that worked a whole lot better. It was much, much smoother than the previous shave and amazingly comfortable to use (almost as nice as my Schick).

Typically when I shave I start WTG and then do XTG in one direction before going to ATG. With the level 1 plate I found that I wasn't getting as close as I'd like (also kinda like the Schick), so I added a second XTG pass in the opposite direction and that brought things down low enough for a nice ATG. Some minor clean-up and buffing were also necessary if I had the time. But at that point it was a nice DFS and definitely very, very comfortable.

Fast forward 15 days into the February challenge and I'm now taking way more time that I need to to shave (according to SWMBO) and was considering swapping out the blade. Instead I swapped out the base plate for the level 2. Best decision I could have made! It was like putting a fresh blade in the razor and my shave time was reduced and my shaves were so nice, I was starting to get board with the experiment. I may have swapped out the soap on the weekends once and a while to change things up a little (but you didn't hear that from me ;)).

Fast forward to March and the process starts anew. New blade, back to base plate 1, and I'm a very happy camper. The March challenge was a breeze and getting through it was a matter of preference and more of a determination to 3017 my soap more than anything (which didn't happen).

All in all, I think that the Sabre is a top notch razor, wonderful to use, and a definite keeper for my SE rotation.

However, with all that being said, there is a matter of issue with the blades. When I first received the razor, I purchased 5 'GEM style' assorted blade packs from 'try-a-blade'. The pack contained 1 GEM PTFE, 1 GEM SS, 1 Blue Carbon, and 1 Regular Carbon. Needless to say I will not be using any blade in the future for the Sabre except the PTFE coated blade.

OMG the carbon blades are horrible!! Like trying to shave with an old broken piece of glass. It felt so dull and tuggy that I thought that instead of cutting the hair that it was simply yanking them all out. I even gave it the old collegiate try, and tried them a couple of time before changing them out. I put the other unused blades down in my tool box for my utility knives. At least they might get more use that way.

The non PTFE stainless blade was okay for a few days but it really didn't seem to have the longevity of the PTFE coated blades and seemed to dull quickly. I did manage to eek out a few extra days by changing to the level 2 plate, but not too many more.

Overall, this definitely feels like a success on my part for getting to know a new Blackland Sabre. I do hope that my experiences help someone else in their shaving adventures.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Having been a member here for a little while now, and also being an analyst by trade, I've established a good working process to experiment with the new razor.

It helps to know that I participated this year's One Blade February and also the Fixed Four for March Madness. So, that being said, I basically took the February challenge and extended it through March. I used one setup and rarely varied. It is my experience that in order to really be proficient with a razor I need to use it (and it alone) for a good solid month.

Here was my setup:
Blade: GEM PTFE - I used this blade for the entire month of February, only changing it out for March which I really needed to do by the time the new month rolled around.
Soap: Proaraso Green (tub) 3017 Baby ! ! ! - I finished what was left of this soap in early April. I honestly thought that I wasn't going to make it through March with it.
Brush: Razorock Plissoft Synth - Italian Flag (pairs nicely with my Italian soap:))

Having previously used a King Cobra, Schick Injector (I1), and Mongoose (M1), I certainly had enough technique to get myself started.
The 1st thing I did was mistakenly use the level 2 plate with a fresh blade. It didn't feel right. It's really hard to describe but it seemed almost too dull and tuggy. I figured that that was the coating that hadn't worn off yet, but I just couldn't get past it. So I tried changing to the level 1 plate and that worked a whole lot better. It was much, much smoother than the previous shave and amazingly comfortable to use (almost as nice as my Schick).

Typically when I shave I start WTG and then do XTG in one direction before going to ATG. With the level 1 plate I found that I wasn't getting as close as I'd like (also kinda like the Schick), so I added a second XTG pass in the opposite direction and that brought things down low enough for a nice ATG. Some minor clean-up and buffing were also necessary if I had the time. But at that point it was a nice DFS and definitely very, very comfortable.

Fast forward 15 days into the February challenge and I'm now taking way more time that I need to to shave (according to SWMBO) and was considering swapping out the blade. Instead I swapped out the base plate for the level 2. Best decision I could have made! It was like putting a fresh blade in the razor and my shave time was reduced and my shaves were so nice, I was starting to get board with the experiment. I may have swapped out the soap on the weekends once and a while to change things up a little (but you didn't hear that from me ;)).

Fast forward to March and the process starts anew. New blade, back to base plate 1, and I'm a very happy camper. The March challenge was a breeze and getting through it was a matter of preference and more of a determination to 3017 my soap more than anything (which didn't happen).

All in all, I think that the Sabre is a top notch razor, wonderful to use, and a definite keeper for my SE rotation.

However, with all that being said, there is a matter of issue with the blades. When I first received the razor, I purchased 5 'GEM style' assorted blade packs from 'try-a-blade'. The pack contained 1 GEM PTFE, 1 GEM SS, 1 Blue Carbon, and 1 Regular Carbon. Needless to say I will not be using any blade in the future for the Sabre except the PTFE coated blade.

OMG the carbon blades are horrible!! Like trying to shave with an old broken piece of glass. It felt so dull and tuggy that I thought that instead of cutting the hair that it was simply yanking them all out. I even gave it the old collegiate try, and tried them a couple of time before changing them out. I put the other unused blades down in my tool box for my utility knives. At least they might get more use that way.

The non PTFE stainless blade was okay for a few days but it really didn't seem to have the longevity of the PTFE coated blades and seemed to dull quickly. I did manage to eek out a few extra days by changing to the level 2 plate, but not too many more.

Overall, this definitely feels like a success on my part for getting to know a new Blackland Sabre. I do hope that my experiences help someone else in their shaving adventures.

Excellent review. Really glad that you and your Sabre are getting along! :)

Mine is on tap for today's shave. :cool:

Regarding blades, I use the Personna GEM blades from Connaught Shaving in England or the Ted Pella treated Personna GEM blades available on the auction site. YMMV.

Here was my setup:

Great review and results. The Blackland Sabre (both plates) is my favorite razor (I think).
I always start a new GEM PTFE blade with the L1 plate.
Glad you like it.

Here was my setup:

Great write-up! As far as I'm concerned, the PTFE-coated Personna blades are the only viable GEM option.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Monday 20210503
Razor: Blackland Razors Sabre L2
Blade: Personna GEM (1)
Brush: Zenith S10 26mm Synthetic
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave: Clubman Osage Rub
20210503_205448~2.jpg

The Sabre is my preferred GEM blade razor. :thumbup:

Outstanding shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (5)
Brush: Simpson The Duke 2 in Best
Lather: Haslinger Schafmilch
Aftershave: Stetson Original AS
Fragrance: Stetson Original Cologne
20210509_110756~2.jpg

The Vector is a very special razor - right up there at the top of my Big Dog rotation! :thumbup:

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (5)
Brush: Simpson The Duke 2 in Best
Lather: Haslinger Schafmilch
Aftershave: Stetson Original AS
Fragrance: Stetson Original Cologne
View attachment 1264255
The Vector is a very special razor - right up there at the top of my Big Dog rotation! :thumbup:
@never-stop-learning Looks like an Awesome shave!! I’m convinced now, going to the SE dark side, lol. What SE blades do you recommend for my first SE Vector blades? I appreciate your insight. I can’t wait for the Vector to come in, I just purchased the straight bar version first, see how I will like it, but I’m sure I will. Thanks for your reviews, they’re really helpful.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
@never-stop-learning Looks like an Awesome shave!! I’m convinced now, going to the SE dark side, lol. What SE blades do you recommend for my first SE Vector blades? I appreciate your insight. I can’t wait for the Vector to come in, I just purchased the straight bar version first, see how I will like it, but I’m sure I will. Thanks for your reviews, they’re really helpful.
I haven’t used a SE for many years, decades even. Like you I am considering a journey to the dark. 😎

Having just recently embarked upon my journey into the world of SE razor shaving, I have really appreciated this entire thread
and all the intelligent writings by "never-stop-learning" and all the other B&B gentlemen who have contributed. Thank You !
I am now three shaves into my journey, and I am enjoying some wonderful experiences with my brand new RazoRock Hawk V3
and its beautifully matched Haloed UFO handle and Schick ProLine P-30 blade. I have been very lucky, over the past five years,
to have gotten incredible shaves with many high quality DE razors, and am now starting to appreciate the wonders of SE shaving.
(I currently rotate through my Timeless Bronze, Rockwell 6C, Razorock Old Type, Timeless Aluminum, and RazoRock Lupo .72.)
I have no plans to give up with my terrific DE razors, but am now enthralled with the Hawk, and the beauty of SE razor shaving.
Yes indeed, we are certainly lucky to enjoy this terrific hobby of traditional shaving, and to share our thoughts here on B&B.

CC8CB10B-7031-4865-A427-011CF2E624E1.jpeg
CC8CB10B-7031-4865-A427-011CF2E624E1.jpeg
C5D7E8CD-B3BB-4806-93EA-B599CF2EAA12.jpeg

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the Dark Side. :)

I mostly use Schick Proline and Kai Protouch MG blades. :)

Top Bottom