What's new

Time to clean out the blade drawer

This thread made me smile, and reminded me that as part of my foray into this grand and wonderful hobby, I purchased two blade samplers but never got past Astra SP. They just work well in every razor I have tried so far, so I have been disinclined to experiment further. Using just two blades convinced me to buy a 100 pack of Astra SP because I like them so much.

I have at least one tuck each of: Big Ben, Derby, Feather, Wilkinson Sword (German), Treet Silver, Treet Platinum, Laser, Personna blue, Red Personna, 7 AM, Merkur, Crystal, Rapira, Voskhod, and maybe one or two others that I am forgetting.

I want to try each one in each razor I own, but have been trying to minimize variables a bit while I try to get the technique down. So, if this qualifies I guess I am in.

Oh great, just what I needed... something else for my OCD! OK, I will be doing an inventory of my stash and see how many orphaned blades I need to use! I will check in tomorrow!

I don't bother to inventory, but I often use the rummage blades -- especially when I've deemed them second rate -- for travel or a quick shave. I often toss them after two shaves or less. At the same time, I like to keep at least one of every kind I've ever used.

For the past few weeks I have been cleaning up the 15 or 20 Astra SPs that I have. The second through 4th shaves on those blades are as good as any. When I finish them I think I'll tackle the odd Sharks that are laying about. But that won't be for a while with these Astras occupying my attention. Its a fine blade.

I finished up a tuck of Rapira Super Stainless and have moved on to Super Max Super Stainless. While I very much like the Rapira blades these Super Max are not great. Good thing it was just one tuck I have.

I don't think I have tried every blade know to man (yet).....

I do use a different blade and razor every day though

proxy.php

Well, I pulled my NOS Schick DE blade (14) from my Krona and looked to see what tuck orphan could take its place. In my bathroom cabinet I have one Perma-Sharp Super, a Feather, the last two of ten of the Kroger store brand DE (an Israeli-made Personna) blade, a lone Personna Platinum Chrome, and a couple Healthy Accent blades (Food Lion house brand) made in Viet Nam. I think my tuck of Wilkinson Sword is full or mostly full. A full tuck of Astra SPs. I won't count them. I'm leaning toward the Feather. They were my favorites from my first blade sampler and I bet I haven't used one in over a year, year-and-a-half. If I can get 14 shaves out of it, like I did with the Schick, it will be two razor blade month and that much longer before I clear out my strays.

Binned my Feather after 13 shaves and loaded three razors with the loose blades in my medicine cabinet. My last Perma-Sharp went into a Fat-handled Pre-War Tech, I put the Personna Platinum Chrome in a Gillette NEW SC, and I put the Healthy Accent into my Gillette Red Tip Super Speed. Depending on blade life, this should be my rotation for the month of April.

Actually, I often PIF those blades to new shavers - particularly individuals who are on a tight budget.

My local Hannaford Supermarket (owned by Food Lion) carries these, and I thought about taking a chance on them. How do they perform and how many shaves do you get per blade?

I thought they were fine, surprising so, really, considering the price. I think I paid $1.19. I was getting three comfortable shaves the last time I used them. But that was before I got bit by the Excalibur bug and extending the life of my blades.

Among my pile of blades I have a few Gillette Wilkinson "Saloon Packs" from India. Put a new one in a Tech this morning. I probably have 30 of these- I never noticed that there are 10 to a tuck. It was nice... real nice.

Put the last blade from a 5-blade tuck of Derbys into my Merkur 34c today. So far these have been decent blades for me. I still have two full 10-blade tucks of them, but I may save them for later and move on to one of the other lone tucks that is currently in my collection.

I just got a 50 blade sampler as I am working on finding "my" blade. I opened every tuck just to check out each blade and currently working on blade 1 from the Gillette PeramSharp (India blade) and now zipped them all up in a baggie. The funny thing about this is what do you do with the blades you don't like. Isn't it kind of hard to use them up if your face can't stand them. I think I have about 10 different blades and thinking some will be one shave and done.

I just got a 50 blade sampler as I am working on finding "my" blade. I opened every tuck just to check out each blade and currently working on blade 1 from the Gillette PeramSharp (India blade) and now zipped them all up in a baggie. The funny thing about this is what do you do with the blades you don't like. Isn't it kind of hard to use them up if your face can't stand them. I think I have about 10 different blades and thinking some will be one shave and done.
Hang on to the blades that you don't like or those that you believe don't work for you. A year, 5, or 10 years down the road you'll revisit those blades and have a totally different experience with them. That's how we all got the piles of odd blades that this thread is all about.

I still have

Vorskhods
Silver blues
Green 7 o clocks
Astra SP
Astra SS
Some unbranded Personna
And a few more. All untried

Mainly because I just love my feathers and Cromas too much. I shud put this on my list of things

Jon - R41.13;DE89LBL, Personna & Feather Blades. Imperial Barber Pre Shave, Soap & Aftershave

I had to bin two of my blade tuck "orphans" earlier than expected. The Healthy Accent went 6 shaves, twice what I've gotten out of them before but not as many as I hoped; the Perma-Sharps got pulled after 4 shaves, which was a surprise as I've gotten 16 shaves previously. Could of been the razors they were paired with, but I've battled irritation all last week and I was taking no chances. Bad shaves=binned.

Maybe there is a reason these blades ended up in the bottom of my medicine cabinet.

I have four German Wilkinsons in a tuck to use up. Put one in a Merkur "1904" open comb and got a great shave.

Top Bottom