What's new

Time to buy some cheap soaps. Reviews needed please.

Arko Shaving Creams are good budget creams. Their scents are different and nice.
proxy.php

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Vitos Extra Super Coco 1000ml block.

VITOS Extra Super Coco Shaving Soap - https://connaughtshaving.com/648556.html

Much to read around the forum about it lately. I havent tried it yet, its still en route. Cella Extra Extra Bio is another I have on the way along with ARKO! @FarmerTan :)

I see the Cella Extra Extra Bio is out of stock. I got in at just the right time...

Cella Milano Bio Organic Aloe Vera Shaving Cream, 150ml | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products - https://www.maggardrazors.com/product/cella-milano-bio-organic-aloe-vera-shaving-cream-150ml/

@Smooth and Sharp. Two weeks ago I went on a hunt similar to yours. I wanted the best Italian soaps I could get. SV was recommended as the best hard soap so I ordered the new SV 4.3 Desert Vetiver. For soft soaps I was recommended Cella Extra Extra Bio and Vitos Extra Coco.

If I like Vitos I'll be ordering the 1000ml block. There are a few threads around for storing that much soap and it doesnt need anything fancy.

Both Cella and Vitos are inexpensive. SV not so much but I understand its a very hard soap that will last a long time. That makes it inexpensive, long term.

If you like creams, CRS is hard to beat and well worth its very modest price.

Cyril R Salter Shaving Cream Bowls - https://connaughtshaving.com/cyrilsc.html

I've been using my CRS Wild Rose about two years now and its half gone. My CRS Indian Sandalwood will outlive my Rose. CRS scents are spectacular and the performance is right on the heels of my #1 soap, Wickham 1912, also at Connaught. CRS tubs, by the way, are large at 165g or 5.8oz.

Wickham cost me $22CAD per tub, shipped. I have 4 tubs and have been using my first Wickham soap for over two years. I still cant see the bottom of the tub.

The big razorock tubs (Santa Maria, Dead Sea).
arko and tabac are allready listed.
Palmolive
I am Dutch so vergulde hand fresh.

stirling Big Bang for the buck

proraso makes pro size tubes

cella, vitos, there are many more affordable Italian soap makers.

some say mdc is cheap because it lasts forever. Have some samples I will see lol

in general harder soaps are longer lasting anyhow.

I must say, out side of Tabac, my favorite soap that was resonably priced (with a splash it came to less than $30 Can), is RR Blue Fougere. you get 300g of it. It's super slick. The wife doesn't like the scent though, so it's early morning shift stuff.

PdP and Cella original both mentioned above. PdP is more than $9.00 but lasts forever. That's my only complaint, I will probably throw my Cella out again before it's half way, it just doesn't disappear before it dies....

A shop in holland has many Italian / european soaps for a low price
just to give you an idea what is out there
And the tfs, figaro, speick soaps are no slackers!

It's hard to beat What The Puck @ $4 a tub shipped. Triple milled hard pucks that will be much like the everready bunny.
Murphy and McNeil has an apgraded base that is much harder and a generous 5.5oz helping of very elite quality product. I have @20 shaves on their triskele and see just a slight reduction of soap in the tub. If I pulled a 3017 on it, I would think I could get at least 12/18 months out of that tub of triskele.

Get Williams Mug. Then you can pick a side and join the tempest in a soap mug that breaks out at least once a month about Williams.

There are those who use a glycerine soap as a preshave. The cheap way to do that is to get Conk (I have lime and amber).

Even cheaper for a preshave would be a bar of Pears from Dollar Tree.

Got some Ogallala Bay Rum. It builds a dense and impressive lather, but there's no residual slickness. I've used it all week & can't get a close shave lasting more than a few hours, before rough stubble again appears - kinda like shaving with an electric. I've added a few drops of castor oil and a few drops of glycerine to a bowl & it seems to help give a little longer-lasting shave, but still no residual slickness. Same razor & blade combinations used with other soaps last 12-14 hour by comparison.

I liked using col. Conk. I used the lime and the almond. The lime, to me, smelled like hard candy lime, and the almond really smelled fruity before being lathered. Once lathered it smelled like I had almonds all over my face 🤣 one thing I personally didn’t like was the soapy glycerin smell, wasn’t bad or anything, just got in the way of the added fragrance. Another was the taste if you got it into your mouth, but that may not matter to you.

Lathered fast and thick. Personally not the most slick after rinsing, but definitely good enough for its $3 asking price. If you don’t razor buff then it doesn’t really matter, I guess lol.

my favorite part about the col. Conk soaps, other than the prices, is the ability to melt it down. Just microwave it and it conforms to your bowl or mug. Also does the “stick to bottom” if you wet your bowl or mug then leave the soap at the bottom to dry onto it overnight.

I don’t use them anymore since I moved on to mentholated soaps/creams but for sure if they made a menthol version I would have some in my rotation.

as always that’s my 2¢, YMMV

I liked using col. Conk. I used the lime and the almond. The lime, to me, smelled like hard candy lime, and the almond really smelled fruity before being lathered. Once lathered it smelled like I had almonds all over my face 🤣 one thing I personally didn’t like was the soapy glycerin smell, wasn’t bad or anything, just got in the way of the added fragrance. Another was the taste if you got it into your mouth, but that may not matter to you.

Lathered fast and thick. Personally not the most slick after rinsing, but definitely good enough for its $3 asking price. If you don’t razor buff then it doesn’t really matter, I guess lol.

my favorite part about the col. Conk soaps, other than the prices, is the ability to melt it down. Just microwave it and it conforms to your bowl or mug. Also does the “stick to bottom” if you wet your bowl or mug then leave the soap at the bottom to dry onto it overnight.

I don’t use them anymore since I moved on to mentholated soaps/creams but for sure if they made a menthol version I would have some in my rotation.

as always that’s my 2¢, YMMV
A little bottle with some menthol crystals dissolved in ethanol will let you make ANYTHING menthol ... even the cat food ...

Top Bottom