What's new

Time to buy some cheap soaps. Reviews needed please.

Get Williams Mug. Then you can pick a side and join the tempest in a soap mug that breaks out at least once a month about Williams.

There are those who use a glycerine soap as a preshave. The cheap way to do that is to get Conk (I have lime and amber).

To make it really cool and convenient:

A) melt it in a microwave (just takes a few seconds, don't overdo it),
B) toss in some menthol crystals (instantly dissolve, a gram or a scant teaspoon will chill things a lot),
C) pour it into a plastic shave soap tube. If you didn't overheat it, it will set up pretty quickly.

That soap seems very nice, also red comments in another thread about it. They dont have it on where I order and if I go where they have it they are out of stock of tabac and only have the small cella. Choices have to be made... What scent of a&e do you recommand?

They have a bunch of options. Depends on what you like. I went through them all and read each description. They all have descriptions of what it smells like, unlike many of the artisan soaps that will describe the smell with an arbitrary idea of what something smells like; For example, “a beach after rain.” A&E just transitioned all of their soaps to the newest soap base, “Kaizen,” meaning to continuously get better.

A&E: I happen to like a bunch. My favorites are:

1- SoCal Hipster
Notes: Pink peppercorn, pineapple, banana, passion fruit, mango, cade, oakmoss, sandalwood, cedarwood and musk.

2- Peaches & Cognac
Notes: Bergamot Lemon, 2 wonderful, but uniquely different Peach notes, Orange Blossom, Cognac, Tobacco Absolute, Mimosa, Leather, Vanilla, Dried Fruits, Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Himalayan Cedar

3- Kaizen
Scent Notes: Mandarin, Calabrian Bergamot, Lemon Peel, Neroli, Honeysuckle, Green Apple, Rose, Tobacco Absolute, Haitian Vetiver, Sandalwood, Cedarwood

4- St Barts
Notes Include: Bergamot, Lime, Mandarin, Coconut, Indian jasmine, Sweet Hibiscus, Ylang-Ylang and Ginger. The Base includes Sugar Cane, Musk, a slight hint of Sandalwood and White Rum.

5- Spartacus
Notes: bergamot, blackcurrant leaves, apple, pineapple, pinkberries, birch, patchouli, jasmine, musk, oakmoss, ambergris, vanilla.

6- Platinum
Notes are: Rosemary, lavender, neroli, galbanum, clary sage, jasmine and geranium on a base of amber, sandalwood, oakmoss, vetiver and cedar.

If you can get your hands on the impossible, Little Fictions with Grey Matter is what I’m dying to smell!

7-“Little Fictions” with notes of: Coconut – cedar – bitter orange – bergamot – lavender – clary sage – juniper berries – white rum – white tea – lemon – amyris -musk – honey dew – ocean mist.

... I’d rather be shaving! [emoji631]

Other amazing options I love are:
-Declaration Grooming (“Milksteak” base, which is locally sourced Bison tallow based)
You mentioned sandalwood and woodsy smells. Their soap named “Original” is a blend of sandalwood and bergamot.

Stirling Soaps look amazing and lather amazingly, but I have a tree nut allergy and they use Almond oil in their base, except for the Glacier line of scents.

A&E, as well as these, all are thirsty soaps. You’ll want to put a thin layer of water over the entire soap before loading your brush. Use 3 fingers to pinch at the base of the hairs, closest to the handle, to achieve more backbone. Only use the tips and do not mash the tips down. You’ll see bubbles... keep loading. If it gets thick, add a few drops of water and continue loading the brush. Once loaded nicely, quickly swirl just the tips in a bowl, scuttle or directly on your face. If it gets really thick, add a few drops as necessary. When you think it’s good to go, lather for 30-60 more seconds and you’ll be AMAZED how perfect it gets!

Do let me know if you try any of the soaps. Or any other scent.
-Dan

Get Williams Mug. Then you can pick a side and join the tempest in a soap mug that breaks out at least once a month about Williams.

There are those who use a glycerine soap as a preshave. The cheap way to do that is to get Conk (I have lime and amber).

To make it really cool and convenient:

A) melt it in a microwave (just takes a few seconds, don't overdo it),
B) toss in some menthol crystals (instantly dissolve, a gram or a scant teaspoon will chill things a lot),
C) pour it into a plastic shave soap tube. If you didn't overheat it, it will set up pretty quickly.

Great idea with the glycerin soap! Only thing I’d suggest is to use a hot water bath or double boiler method instead of the microwave. The microwave tends to have a negative effect on the soaps I used to try that with. Def works if you rather not go through the hassle of setting up the double boiler tho. ;-)
Once it’s warm, a gentleman gave me the idea to smush it down into glass sugar bowls with lids. They look great sitting out in the bathroom, too. That works extremely well with glycerin soaps but was tougher with tallow harder soaps.

La Toja creams are excellent.
Kept scrolling to see if someone would mention that!!

I was considering that very question after Maggard canceled my La Toja stick order. Coulda, woulda, shoulda asked for the cream to be substituted.

+1 on RazoRock's very affordable triple milled Italian soap line up. I have the three original WTP pucks, plus the four 'color' labeled WTP shave sticks. All fine performers, Lime and Black might be my top scents.

Cheap Soaps? Everything on my list should be under $9.

I've used Willaims and I like it. Buy 3 or 4 picks and learn the fun of dousing them your favorite aftershave or cologne to rescent them. Load it heavy on a drier brush and it makes fine lather. At $1 a puck it may be the low cost champ.

You got Arko so no reason to repeat that.

Find a Palmolive stick. Simple clean scent with great performance.

Someone mentioned Ogallalla's and if you want to explore the bay rum world it's a fine soap at its price point.

If you haven't tried the Proraso soaps you should. The Red is a good Sandalwood, but the rest are good as well. The White may be my favorite.

I rather enjoy the VDH Luxury soap. I think it punches far above its price point.

Last but certainly not least is the marvelous Speick shave stick. Such a delightful soap. Great unique scent and a terrific performer.

Conk and Wilkinson in the blue tub? I finally gave up on both of them. Couldn't figure out how to make a good lather with either of them.

Monsavon was OK.

Arko, Derby, Tabac are great.

Godrej Shave Rounds are very good, not great.

My favorite cheap shave soap, however, is Palmolive. If you're in the States, it's not cheap, but very cheap in Europe.

Top Bottom