What's new

Time to buy some cheap soaps. Reviews needed please.

Couldnt find some of the stuff mentioned or it was out of stock (la toja) but ordered this so far : cella soap (kg), tabac stick, Palmolive cream, arko soap, and 1 col conk amber mostly for the scent. On my list still Stirling, a&e, la toja and few others. Gonna try these first and give feedbacks. Palmolive and another ships from UK so might take long. Thanks all.

A little bottle with some menthol crystals dissolved in ethanol will let you make ANYTHING menthol ... even the cat food ...
maybe I’ll melt it down with some menthol crystals inside, that’d be interesting
Couldnt find some of the stuff mentioned or it was out of stock (la toja) but ordered this so far : cella soap (kg), tabac stick, Palmolive cream, arko soap, and 1 col conk amber mostly for the scent. On my list still Stirling, a&e, la toja and few others. Gonna try these first and give feedbacks. Palmolive and another ships from UK so might take long. Thanks all.
No problem. Enjoy the col. conk. Out of all those I only tried that, but I’m interested in the Palmolive since I heard good things about it. I’d be interested in your thoughts.

:jump:

Just took a look at razorock and ended buying some as they look nice and lot at 5 bucks. Ended with a 68$ cart to get free shipping. Im exited to try that lime scent. I should be good for few years now. Screenshot_20200712_104852.jpg

Palmolive stick is unbelievable. Not only unbelievable for the money, but unbelievable period. The lather is slick and yogurty, and I like the scent better than some soaps that are similar or slightly better in quality (Speick). And it's very inexpensive.

I really like ToBS, Shannon's Soaps and Stirling. I've got some cheap soaps that perform almost as well, and one in particular that lathers well, but still gives a poor shave - no residual slickness. I found a solution ... homemade Snake Oil. Well, sorta'.
I mixed equal parts of glycerine and castor oil, then added a little lanolin. Lanolin didn't dissolve, so I melted i in the microwave - 5 seconds on medium power, then mixed it all and added a few drops of ethanol.
Several drops added to my shave bowl while whipping up that great lather that wasn't slick enough, seemed to make a great improvement. NOW -- on to see if I get a 12+ hour shave, or if roughness appears again after only about 5 hours.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
My $0.03

Tabac - great performance! I kind of have to be in the mood for the scent. I'll bust it out again in the fall.

Cella - one of my all-time favorites! Great performance. Great scent. Great history. What's not to love?

Arko - eh, not for me. Performance was fine, but I could never get on with the "toilet bowl cleaner" scent. And, I don't prefer sticks.

La Toya - I like the cream much better than the stick. The "salty" scent kind of takes some getting used to. Great performance.

Wilkinson - never tried it. I like the blades okay. Best logo in shaving - crossed sabers, baby! If you ain't Cav, you ain't...

Williams - File under "juice not worth the squeeze". The scent is a nice, muted, fake lemon. I got pretty good, and REALLY slick, lather...after, like, a LOT of whipping. If you like to baby your lather, and dribble in the water, and really make an art out of it and feel like you earned it - this stuff is for you. If you just want to whip it a little to feel like grandpa and get on with the shave - not so much. Face lathering - forget about it. YMMV - a LOT!

Col Conk - never tried it. Glycerin soap just doesn't "spark joy" to me when there are so many great "fatted" options. Not saying its bad, just not for me.

Top Bottom