What's new

Time to Buy a Camera

So, I've decided to get into photography. I've been shopping around and am fairly certain I want to go with Canon, and that's about it. I originally learned on a Canon 10D, and, seeing their prices on the used market, I'm tempted to go with that or maybe a 20D. However, I also work at an electronics retailer, and get a nice discount on most any new DSLR, roughly 10-15%. The XSi and T1i (450D/500D) look solid, but I don't care for the feel, both in size and heft. However, at just over $1100, it's a little too rich (with adequate prodding, I could probably convince myself, but SWMBO is another story).

I guess the question is, should I go new or used? Is there a good reason for me to go with a new Rebel over the older units? Thanks for the help, guys! :thumbup1:

I guess the question is, should I go new or used? Is there a good reason for me to go with a new Rebel over the older units? Thanks for the help, guys! :thumbup1:

The prices on new ones keep dropping as the technology increases, so it wouldn't hurt to go with a new one.

As far as getting an entry level unit goes, don't go hog-wild until you get comfortable with the basics of Digital Photography. Its a lot different from using a film camera. A lot of the work comes AFTER you click the shutter, so give some thought into getting a good piece of software to process your pictures after you take them, to add cropping, contrast and brightness control, and other special effects.

I'm currently running Photoshop 7, and I think I have CS4 kicking around too, but I haven't had a use for either for a while. Also, I took a digital photo class last year at uni, and am in a photography for biologists course now, which is what got me interested again.

The changing technology is a big part of my concern. It's been my experience, with computers at least, that last year's high-end is usually superior to this year's entry-level stuff. Is it the same with cameras? Would I be gimped by the lower resolution in the older cameras, or would the savings be better applied towards lenses?

However, at just over $1100, it's a little too rich (with adequate prodding, I could probably convince myself, but SWMBO is another story).

:thumbup1:

You can get that camera for way less than 1100. For that much you could get an awesome package deal and get just about everything you would need. Just run a search on line. I found them starting around 450.... Now that you can get it for more than half what you thought you were going to have to spend, there is no reason not too! All you have to to is show SWIMBO the price for 1100 and another one for 500, and your good..... LOL... Just think of how much shaving gear you can buy with all the money you saved.....

Just think of how much shaving gear you can buy with all the money you saved.....

Since I've been favoring Proraso for the past few months, I'd say it would go a long way! :w00t:

I'd be very careful about buying a used digital camera.

Yeah, I've had a good track record so far, but I'm sure my time is coming. :thumbdown I'm just having a hard time warming up to the Rebel series, the bodies seem too insubstantial. It's probably nothing, but the x0D series feels so solid in comparison.

Regarding buying new, would I be better off going for the T1i, or would the lower models be adequate. I remember printing 16x20 portraits from the 20D, so I don't really buy into the higher resolution marketing. At least not on the smaller sensors.

What are you going to use the camera for, and what lenses / accessories will you need?

Camera bodies come & go, but lenses typically remain.

For me, I got the answer by going to a local shop and holding 4 camera bodies (Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax). That gave me my answer.
(Yes, I also bought at that store -- I do try to keep local merchants in business.)

I got a video on how to use my canon XS 1000D. It's actually for the 450 D and the 1000D. (The 1000D is a Europeon Model. And for now, there is more than enough for me to Learn, and master. These cameras these days litterally have a photo shop built into them. What ever camera you do gte, I suggest you get the 20 dollar video that goes with that camera. Alot of the basic photography stuff you will already know, but you they go iinto the mopre complicated functions.

Bracketing White balance, adding contrast and tint, the list goes on and on.

I'm just having a hard time warming up to the Rebel series, the bodies seem too insubstantial. It's probably nothing, but the x0D series feels so solid in comparison.

I've been toting my Digital Rebel (i.e. 300D) around after my kids for 5+ years now and it's been banged around quite a bit with no ill effects. It's a workhorse for me and will print spectacular 16x20s from RAW images with only a 6 megapixel sensor.

Plus you can Hack the firmware to enable many 10D functions if you're so inclined.

Just sayin'

Have you looked at the Nikon D40?

I had considered it since the kit was going for $350 after it was discontinued, but it was just too small for my hands.

What are you going to use the camera for, and what lenses / accessories will you need?

Camera bodies come & go, but lenses typically remain.

For me, I got the answer by going to a local shop and holding 4 camera bodies (Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax). That gave me my answer.
(Yes, I also bought at that store -- I do try to keep local merchants in business.)

I'm mostly interested in nature and street photography, but I'd expect to try just about anything. Also, SWMBO is a plant taxonomist, and I'd probably take some shots of specimens at various botanical gardens, so macro is in the future as well.

I've been working on the lens issue from the beginning, since I have a handful of old (~1970) Nikon lenses, but their performance was sub-par on the newer cameras; no information transfer between lens and camera, no autofocus, image quality wasn't to great, etc. However, I do plan on inheriting my Dad's Canon lenses from the late eighties, which he used on 35mm Rebels.

The only shop I have to get hands-on experience is Best Buy, which only carries Canon and Nikon in-store. I was hoping to catch a discontinued 40D, but that's not happening, so I'm left with either a 50D or 7D and the Rebels, of which I'm leaning to the T1i/500D. My only problem is that the 20D is half the price, at $350. Add in one or two lenses, and I'm still about $100 less, with (presumably) better glass. I'll definitely check out the Rebels a little more, you guys have definitely convinced me to give them a fair shake! :thumbup1:

I've been toting my Digital Rebel (i.e. 300D) around after my kids for 5+ years now and it's been banged around quite a bit with no ill effects. It's a workhorse for me and will print spectacular 16x20s from RAW images with only a 6 megapixel sensor.

Plus you can Hack the firmware to enable many 10D functions if you're so inclined.

Just sayin'

That's a huge help! I'm incredibly clumsy, and will probably run this through the wringer. Firmware hacking also sound tasty. . . Is that a common trait across the product line? Can you cross flash T1i/50D?

Thanks for all the responses! I was considering a few different fora to bring this question to, but B&B topped the list!

I know what you're saying about the Rebel vs. the X0D line. It really is a personal preference, if you have large hands the Rebels just don't feel right and they are much lighter. Lighter can be a good thing, however, particularly with some of the heavier glass, but the magnesium frame does feel more substantial.

Discount notwithstanding, I expect that the 40D model should be pretty much on clearout most places now that the 50D and 7D are out. You may find it cheaper to buy from another store than you would get the 50D with your discount, and many people consider that the 40D was a better camera. The 50D never did sell very well, not a big advance from the 40D and the tighter pixel density seemed to cause some issues.

Top Bottom