What's new

Time out! 18 little-known facts about time zones

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
With Daylight Saving Time ending (and changes back to standard time), at 2 a.m. on Sunday, 1 November 15, meaning you will gain an hour of sleep, but what's the story behind time zones
proxy.php

Here are 18 surprising facts you probably didn't know.

MSN Travel - 14 Sept 15

"As the kids head back to school and the memories of summer vacations begin to fade, it's time to talk about time. With vacations over for a while, you're likely having to get up a little earlier - and perhaps wishing you had a few more hours in the day.

And on November 1 (at least in most of the US and Canada), you'll also be setting your clocks back to make the most of the fewer hours of sunlight during the winter days.

But who decided how our time zones should work - and how do they work? Well, the answer may surprise you. $Savings Time Clock.jpg

attachment.php
Did you know, for example, that time zones are not constant - and can be changed by a country deciding that it wants to be in a different time zone? North Korea, for example, adopted a new time zone on Aug. 15, 2015, to mark the anniversary of its liberation
from Japan".

Read More: http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/article/time-out-18-little-known-facts-about-time-zones/ss-AAe31Ts#image=1

proxy.php
"Time Zones: They're not just an accessory..., but a way of life". Author Unknown

Last edited:

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Time is just Mother Nature's way of making sure everything doesn't happen all at once

Interesting thread. Thanks.

By the way, the proper name for DST is Daylight Saving Time (no plural). Many if not most speakers and writers add the superfluous "s" to saving in error.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Interesting thread. Thanks.

By the way, the proper name for DST is Daylight Saving Time (no plural). Many if not most speakers and writers add the superfluous "s" to saving in error.
Thanks for that. I always thought DST meant Damn Stupid Time

If it is shown again, I recommend checking out the documentry: "How we got to now - Time". A teaser clip about chaotic nature of time before standardized time zones were established.

Cancun in the state of Quintana Roo, decided to force the whole state to change their time zone by setting their clocks one hour ahead, and then not observing DST when the rest of the country does in order to "boost tourism" by having slightly longer evening daylight. Now they are saying maybe, just maybe they will observe DST in 2016.

Messing with time zones and not being definitive about their intentions is pretty silly when dealing with tourism and especially airline schedules. Time zones are not something the average person thinks about often, but they have more effect on our lives then we realize.

No matter which time zone I'm in, I always seem to run about 15 minutes late...

In actual time travel news:
When I travel to Japan, I leave Newark around 10am on a Saturday. I arrive in Japan about 2pm on a Sunday, and the sun never sets for the entire duration of the flight.
~28 hours clock time.

On the return trip, my flight leaves at 6pm on Saturday, and I arrive back in Newark at 7pm on the very same Saturday, I see the sun set twice, yet the total clock time was only about one hour.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
No matter which time zone I'm in, I always seem to run about 15 minutes late...

In actual time travel news:
When I travel to Japan, I leave Newark around 10am on a Saturday. I arrive in Japan about 2pm on a Sunday, and the sun never sets for the entire duration of the flight.
~28 hours clock time.

On the return trip, my flight leaves at 6pm on Saturday, and I arrive back in Newark at 7pm on the very same Saturday, I see the sun set twice, yet the total clock time was only about one hour.
Seraphim:
The jet-lag must be brutal on you, huh? :blushing:[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp] [/FONT]"Jet lag is your soul trying to catch up after flying”. Ryan Ross [/FONT]

Last edited:
My father was a Merchant Marine, and made countless Trans-Oceanic voyages ... he used to say that "East is Least and West is Best" meaning that he got paid for more hours when the ship was Westbound than when headed in the other direction. Even though the actual transit-time was the same, the payroll was calculated on local time wherever they happened to be.

When I was in the Navy, we traversed many time zones and had to adjust our clocks accordingly. But my own Bio-clock never seemed to make the adjustments, and I was frequently late to work when we crossed a time zone. Either that, or I was sleepy and hungry and totally out of sync with everyone else when the adjustment was in the other direction.

I was born and raised in NJ. When we were taught about the Prime Meridian going through Greenwich, England,
the teacher had to make it very clear to not confuse it with Greenwich Village, which is part of New York City LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting video. At the end the narrator asks the question will we ever simplify things and just use universal time everywhere. I could see than happening decades from now. Personally I don't care if breakfast time is 8am or 13:00 or whenever, just as long as I can brew coffee in roughly 3-3.5 minutes with a pour-over filter.

+1 ... Universal Time should be universal.

The military does it. Amateur Radio Operators do it. Everyone should.

I can't get over some people that can't do the conversion to figure out if its 12noon on the East Coast what time is it in California ... but lots of people are stumped by this.

Universal Time would make it a lot easier to figure out when to make a phone call or when to pick up your friend at the airport who is flying in from overseas. Life would be much simpler.

Top Bottom