What's new

Time Machine

going backt to 1980- I want a new k-way jacket and some old school converse sneakers. Also rock achieved musical perfection in 1980 and I'd like to buy some tapes.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Nothing. You wouldn't disappear or anything. Quantum mechanics at work :smile:

There are so many things I'd love to see I don't even know where to start...

Woodstock
Fall of the Berlin Wall
Some biblical events
The Fall of the twin towers
Obama's inauguration
Meet my Great Grandfather

The list goes on. Of course I would also buy lots of vintage stuff cheap.

Just a sidenote: I'm not going to try to change any history because going back in time doesn't change anything, except in the new alternate time line you just created. Secondly, who's to say which things should be prevented and which shouldn't? I'd feel bad if I chose say ten disasters to prevent because then that means the others are being excluded, and allowed to happen.

It's fairly obvious that you didn't see it the first time, as I did, because if you did you wouldn't want to see it again.

It's fairly obvious that you didn't see it the first time, as I did, because if you did you wouldn't want to see it again.

Watching it on TV from Texas was heart wrenching enough. I'd give just about everything I had to avoid having to see that live, given the choice.

see the Armada steaming up the channel.

I admire your love of history, but theres at least one detail you seem a little hazy on...:biggrin1:

Fascintating thread, this. Philosopher, physicists, and writers have debated what the effects would be if time travel were possible. Would the world be a better place had John Lennon not died in 1980? Or John Kennedy in 1963? I think we ought to consider at least the possibility that things work out worse if we started messing with the past.

All I need to do is close my eyes and I can see it.

I would not want to actually live through it again, ever.

I would go back for some very lucrative Powerball wins, come back and buy your time machine from you (everyone has their price :biggrin1:), and then visit the future to do research on the nature of time, along with seeing what happens on near-term, medium-term and long-term future. I would then come back and write a book a la Nostradamus predicting the future and a book on the nature and physics of time.

I would also like to meet the true geniuses of humanity, those that had the vision and courage to change the course of human history, to find out how and why their vision differed from the rest of humanity alive in their era, and to identify the common thread (if there is one) that all of them possessed.

Last edited:
Changing the past is far too tricky.
However, if you do your research in advance, you can in effect be the tool of history, while coming out far wealthier than before.

Missing historical objects(like paintings, documents(a copy of the Constitution, or Declaration would be nice to have) Cars that people don't know where the remaining ones are. The Library of Alexandria.

These things, while historically significant, all went missing at some point in the past, and all you have to do, is pinpoint the time just before, and make them disappear yourself. After all, who is to say that your future self isn't the cause of it to begin with.

Observation is less tricky, and I would love to witness some moments in history.
Birth of this country being one, the start of wars, the ending of wars.
Technological breakthroughs(space travel)
One thing I would not do, no matter how much I want to, is visit Jesus.
I do not think that it would end well, for me in particular. I prefer to let my faith remain as that, and not have it become Knowledge.

As for going back and killing your grandfather, one of two things would happen.
Universe implodes from the impossibility of doing it, or it splits into a separate dimension, in which case, one is a universe where you never did it, and you are still brought into this world, and the other, where your family ended with your grandfather. Unfortunately, the one where you never come to be, is the one you would likely be stuck in unable to go back to the modern time(because you don't exist in that universe at that time) and unable to go to your universe, as you built a time machine, not a transdimentional machine.
The series of books by Simon Hawke, are a great easy to read time travel genera.
http://www.booksnbytes.com/authors/hawke_simon.html#QS886

Changing the past is far too tricky.
However, if you do your research in advance, you can in effect be the tool of history, while coming out far wealthier than before.

Missing historical objects(like paintings, documents(a copy of the Constitution, or Declaration would be nice to have) Cars that people don't know where the remaining ones are. The Library of Alexandria.

These things, while historically significant, all went missing at some point in the past, and all you have to do, is pinpoint the time just before, and make them disappear yourself. After all, who is to say that your future self isn't the cause of it to begin with.

Observation is less tricky, and I would love to witness some moments in history.
Birth of this country being one, the start of wars, the ending of wars.
Technological breakthroughs(space travel)
One thing I would not do, no matter how much I want to, is visit Jesus.
I do not think that it would end well, for me in particular. I prefer to let my faith remain as that, and not have it become Knowledge.

As for going back and killing your grandfather, one of two things would happen.
Universe implodes from the impossibility of doing it, or it splits into a separate dimension, in which case, one is a universe where you never did it, and you are still brought into this world, and the other, where your family ended with your grandfather. Unfortunately, the one where you never come to be, is the one you would likely be stuck in unable to go back to the modern time(because you don't exist in that universe at that time) and unable to go to your universe, as you built a time machine, not a transdimentional machine.
The series of books by Simon Hawke, are a great easy to read time travel genera.
http://www.booksnbytes.com/authors/hawke_simon.html#QS886

I go by Asimov -- The End of Eternity.

I want to travel back 63,000,000 years ago with an infrared thermometer, a camera, and a Jeep full or camping gear, weaponry, and gas. That trip should help settle at least 6 issues.

Watching it on TV from Texas was heart wrenching enough. I'd give just about everything I had to avoid having to see that live, given the choice.

All I need to do is close my eyes and I can see it.

I would not want to actually live through it again, ever.

Funny, having been there, I would like to go back and "un-see" it.

I should have rephrased the beginning of that post, I'm sorry. I wrote "love to see" before I knew i was going to write the fall of the twin towers on the list.

I was in Grade 8 when it happened, and I only heard of it in passing. I was young and didn't really "get it". I hadn't even heard of the twin towers before.

This event obviously impacted our world greatly, and its effects are felt in my life EVERYDAY. My going back would be to get a feel for what it was like, to gain a better understanding of the event. I wouldn't necessarily watch it live. Being in a public area watching the news would be enough.

I would obviously NOT enjoy watching this, but would have a greater understanding of what the events means.

I'm sorry if my post was misunderstood and I offended anyone, I should have been clearer.

Last edited:
I should have rephrased the beginning of that post, I'm sorry. I wrote "love to see" before I knew i was going to write the fall of the twin towers on the list.

I was in Grade 8 when it happened, and I only heard of it in passing. I was young and didn't really "get it". I hadn't even heard of the twin towers before.

This event obviously impacted our world greatly, and its effects are felt in my life EVERYDAY. My going back would be to get a feel for what it was like, to gain a better understanding of the event. I wouldn't necessarily watch it live. Being in a public area watching the news would be enough.

I would obviously NOT enjoy watching this, but would have a greater understanding of what the events means.

I'm sorry if my post was misunderstood and I offended anyone, I should have been clearer.

I'm not offended, I just didn't think you understood as you explained. Frankly, I think most of us still dont understand what it was that happened.

Most of my working age family were in Manhattan that day, many of us in lower Manhattan either witnessed the events directly or were involved in the immediate aftermath. I was 3 blocks away at the second impact and decided immediatley to get the heck out of there. Unfortunately by the time I got to a subway they had stopped running. I was fortunate enough to get a cab uptown to my office and didn't witness the full horror of the day as many that I know did.

Sometimes we sit and talk about what went on, but I have found that a lot like our fathers who served in WWII and choose not to talk about what they did and saw, we choose to only talk about what humor and good we can extract from that day.

Frankly, I recall more of the few days following than I do of that exact day...I mean the blocks long mosaics of make shift missing persons posters; the military check points at and below Canal St.; the smell; the smoke; and the newly rediscoverd cameraderie between New Yorkers, that of persons that have gone to war together. That feeling is gone now and if I could take one thing from that day out of the time machine, that would be it.

I'm not offended, I just didn't think you understood as you explained. Frankly, I think most of us still dont understand what it was that happened.

Most of my working age family were in Manhattan that day, many of us in lower Manhattan either witnessed the events directly or were involved in the immediate aftermath. I was 3 blocks away at the second impact and decided immediatley to get the heck out of there. Unfortunately by the time I got to a subway they had stopped running. I was fortunate enough to get a cab uptown to my office and didn't witness the full horror of the day as many that I know did.

Sometimes we sit and talk about what went on, but I have found that a lot like our fathers who served in WWII and choose not to talk about what they did and saw, we choose to only talk about what humor and good we can extract from that day.

Frankly, I recall more of the few days following than I do of that exact day...I mean the blocks long mosaics of make shift missing persons posters; the military check points at and below Canal St.; the smell; the smoke; and the newly rediscoverd cameraderie between New Yorkers, that of persons that have gone to war together. That feeling is gone now and if I could take one thing from that day out of the time machine, that would be it.

I think you just explained exactly what Joshua Da Silva was saying he didn't understand and wants to. Thank you. Oddly enough, I was at work listening to it on the radio and knew it was huge. I didn't get a real feel for what it meant to you New Yorkers until I visited Ground Zero a year or so later. Thank you for this post. You exemplified the very essence of experiencing history as opposed to studying it.

I think you just explained exactly what Joshua Da Silva was saying he didn't understand and wants to. Thank you. Oddly enough, I was at work listening to it on the radio and knew it was huge. I didn't get a real feel for what it meant to you New Yorkers until I visited Ground Zero a year or so later. Thank you for this post. You exemplified the very essence of experiencing history as opposed to studying it.

Exactly.

Brodirt, your post gave me a whole new perspective on that day. Like I said, I was only in grade 8 at the time, and living in Canda so it was a totally different experience for me. A better understanding of that day would help me...I dont even know how to phrase this. Essentially, I don't think I understand the extend of the emotional/mental impact that day had on the world because it went right over my head. If I had a better idea of that I could better understand what it meant to people. This still isn't coming out right, but I hope you get what I am trying to say.

P.S. This is a hell of a coincidence Brodirt, your post count right now is 747. Wierd.

Exactly.

Brodirt, your post gave me a whole new perspective on that day. Like I said, I was only in grade 8 at the time, and living in Canda so it was a totally different experience for me. A better understanding of that day would help me...I dont even know how to phrase this. Essentially, I don't think I understand the extend of the emotional/mental impact that day had on the world because it went right over my head. If I had a better idea of that I could better understand what it meant to people. This still isn't coming out right, but I hope you get what I am trying to say.

P.S. This is a hell of a coincidence Brodirt, your post count right now is 747. Wierd.

I, at least, understand what you are saying. I knew, when the second plane struck, that this was going to change everything. That was before the towers fell. I still don't think I fully comprehended it until years later, if at all. New Yorkers saw a side of humanity that most of us forgot existed. My Aunt works and lives just across the Brooklyn Bridge. We are getting far away from the fun spirit of this thread, so I won't tell her experience. Suffice to say, it gave me a whole new perspective.

I, at least, understand what you are saying. I knew, when the second plane struck, that this was going to change everything. That was before the towers fell. I still don't think I fully comprehended it until years later, if at all. New Yorkers saw a side of humanity that most of us forgot existed. My Aunt works and lives just across the Brooklyn Bridge. We are getting far away from the fun spirit of this thread, so I won't tell her experience. Suffice to say, it gave me a whole new perspective.

I dont mind sharing my experiences...I didn't lose anyone that day. If my experiences would help anyone either understand or come to terms with what happened that day then we would be taking a step toward healing. I think that the PTSD that we have all sufferred since that day has made things quite hazy, and I'm not ascribing any political value to that at all.

I would suggest those interested in learning about recent history from those who experienced it post a thread. I think there are many, many people here who have a lot to share.

Top Bottom