What's new

Time for the Slant?

Ok, I have seen the other posts and pictures regarding proper blade alignment. Just so I am straight (no pun intended), the blade should be installed aligned with the head, not angled with the bar.

Sorry did not see this before. You are correct, sir.

I align mine by looking at the razor from a bird's eye point of view and aligning the edge of the blade using the "bumps" on the bar as a guide. I find that to be easier than using the cap to align. The "bumps" are flat on top and reflect light. And so they form a sort of line that's perfectly straight and easy to use to align a blade.

Always time for a Slant.

The only question should be "Which should I buy first, the HD Gold or Barber Pole?"

Agreed. It's always time for a slant, but there's only one to get and that's the chrome HD handle. The others are optional, but the chrome HD handle is a necessity.

Ok, I have seen the other posts and pictures regarding proper blade alignment. Just so I am straight (no pun intended), the blade should be installed aligned with the head, not angled with the bar.

Is there some pictures in a thread somewhere? Would appreciate the thread

Sorry did not see this before. You are correct, sir.

Has anyone confirmed this with Merkur? While I agree that loading the blade this way gives a good close shave (it's the way I do it, after reading one of those earlier alignment threads), after some thought I'm not so sure that was the way to load the blade that Merkur intended.

Seems to me a poster in one of those earlier threads nailed it - loading the blade parallel to the cap gives you an HD with a wider blade gap on one side. Loading the blade parallel to the guard bar, however, would give you a slanted blade. All the analysis of how the Slant is supposed to work that I have read seems to be premised on the blade being skewed so that it slices whiskers - if that is the case, the blade would need to be parallel to the bar instead of the cap. Parallel to the cap = no skew to the blade, doesn't it? :confused1

Maybe all these years of Slant production have depended on the blade being loaded "improperly" (parallel to the cap) because if the blade is loaded "properly" (parallel to the bar) it is a face shredder? Is the Slant a happy mistake due to misuse of the intended design? :confused1

If you've been DE shaving for a while and are yearning for something a little different, that shaves closer, I recommend you jettison DE thoughts altogether and pick up a 1912 Gem or Ever Ready SE.

Sure, they don't slant (the blades are too rigid for such trickery) but they cut the toughest beards so easily you'll be laughing. Slants are cool looking and a neat thing to have, but for pure function, it's hard to beat a good Gem.

(and they're like $10 shipped via the 'bay)

Has anyone confirmed this with Merkur? While I agree that loading the blade this way gives a good close shave (it's the way I do it, after reading one of those earlier alignment threads), after some thought I'm not so sure that was the way to load the blade that Merkur intended.

Seems to me a poster in one of those earlier threads nailed it - loading the blade parallel to the cap gives you an HD with a wider blade gap on one side. Loading the blade parallel to the guard bar, however, would give you a slanted blade. All the analysis of how the Slant is supposed to work that I have read seems to be premised on the blade being skewed so that it slices whiskers - if that is the case, the blade would need to be parallel to the bar instead of the cap. Parallel to the cap = no skew to the blade, doesn't it? :confused1

Maybe all these years of Slant production have depended on the blade being loaded "improperly" (parallel to the cap) because if the blade is loaded "properly" (parallel to the bar) it is a face shredder? Is the Slant a happy mistake due to misuse of the intended design? :confused1

Here's what I suggest: try it yourself. Load the blade by aligning it so that it sits squarely and shave one side of your face. Then load it so that is misaligned and shave the other side of your face.

Load the blade so that it is properly aligned and you'll get great effortless shaves. Load it improperly and you'll get nicked. Actually, you may well get much worse than nicked.

The slant is not unique in this: I have to align the blade in all my old Gillettes, I have to align the blade in my new Ikon, in my Mergress and in other razors as well.

If the blade is loaded as I indicated, it will be parallel to the edge of the cap. If you try to load it parallel to the edge of the cap, you certainly can do it, but it's just a bit more difficult.

The slant of the blade is not the result of loading the blade on a slant. The "slant" is the product of the blade being twisted resulting in a guillotine action when the blade cuts whiskers. The term "slant" is just a nickname and it's not all that descriptive. It's really a twisted blade not a slanted one.

I loaded the blade improperly once - that's all it took. There were no massive nicks, but my face felt bruised and battered. When I checked on the forum and reset the blade properly, I got great shaves.

Been DE shaving for a just over a year now.
Started with a Futur, get on very well with it. Got a HD after reading all the rave reviews, like it a lot but not as much as the Futur. But saying that, i can sometimes get quite awesome shaves with the HD.

Now thinking about getting a Slant...................
For the chaps who have both, whats the main differences (apart from size) between the Slant and Futur? Can i expect drastically different performance.

I have a thick coarse beard, usually have a 3 pass shave- with, across and against.

Thx

What can I say? I hung up the Gillette's and the HD for a Slant and never looked back.

The slant of the blade is not the result of loading the blade on a slant. The "slant" is the product of the blade being twisted resulting in a guillotine action when the blade cuts whiskers. The term "slant" is just a nickname and it's not all that descriptive. It's really a twisted blade not a slanted one.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or stir pots, I love my Slant, I'm just genuinely curious. Where is the twist or slant or skew or whatever, if the blade is aligned parallel to the cap? Where is the guillotine action when the blade and the cap are parallel to each other?

My understanding is the efficiency of this razor comes from a blade being on an angle in relation to the body of the razor, in something akin to what you get with the Gillette Slide. But I'll be darned if I see any angle or twist to the blade when I load my blade parallel to the cap.

The only way I got even close to BBS with a DE razor was when I switched to a Slant. It's now the only razor I ever use. It's NOT as scary as its reputation and is an awesome shaver.

can anyone recommend a slant razor to me? i am looking for a special one--what is the best current and/or classic slant razor?

Merkur currently makes two models, the HD and the Barber Pole Slant. The HD comes in both a gold plate and chrome finish, while the Barber Pole is only in Chrome.

Which should you get first? It depends a lot on personal preference - whether you prefer longer and heavier razors, or shorter.

If you're going for the HD, and can afford the extra $$, I say go for the Gold as it will make aligning the blade much easier.

Samouraï;1661906 said:
can anyone recommend a slant razor to me? i am looking for a special one--what is the best current and/or classic slant razor?

Go for the HD slant in gold! I wasn't sure how much I would like a gold plated razor but it is gorgeous. I got mine from the BST forum for $35. Just post up a WTB and be patient.

There is also a gentleman around here and on ebay that sells a very nice vintage Merkur slant. My only complaint is the pencil thin handle but it shaves as well, if not better than a new HD slant.

The other advantage of the gold HD is that the gold color provides a good contrast for properly aligning the blade as mentioned in previous posts. Ignore those who say it doesn't matter. It absolutely does! The blade in a slant is still slanted regardless of how the blade is loaded but if it's not correctly aligned with head it's vicious.

had a 39c, fantastic shaver, to agressive though if i shave everyday. corse thick beard with sensitive, oily skin.

Sold it, because it was collecting dust save for the few times a year after the exam beards. i imagine an adjustable would have been more functional.

fantasmic shaves though, good luck with it:thumbup:

I bought this after trying the 38c...and Love Love Love it! I agree with the earlier post it really makes mapping important..but I cannot get the same closeness/ lack of irritation with my vintage Gillette. and I loved those.....well heres to ending RAD....wait...is that a custom handle 39c I spy on the horizen?...it has friends...oh no....wheres my wallet

Top Bottom