What's new

Time for New Shoes: Stay or Try?

Stay with same Eccos, or try something new?

• Get the same Ecco. It's practically perfect for you.

• Try something new. Suggestion below, please.

Results are only viewable after voting.
So, it is time for me to replace my favorite shoes. I've had them for probably 4 years, and they've held up pretty well. Especially since I didn't do anything to take care of them. But, the color is pretty scuffed up around the edges and they are noticeably not as comfortable as they once were. They are Ecco Hilsinki Bike Toe shoes - black.

So, my question is, since they worked so well for me, should I get the same thing, or try something new? I wear these shoes with jeans, my suit, and with khakis/chinos. I love the convenience of the slip off, so that feature would need to stay. And they need to be comfortable and similar priced. What say you, friends of B&B?

Not my style at all but if you loved them go for it.

I'm not a fan of square toes or bike toes. They are pretty routinely mocked among fashion types. I might look at the Grenoble or Holton from Ecco as similar shoes with a sleeker toe and more traditional shape. Sky is the limit of you want to spend more of course.

I would also recommend a second pair of shoes to rotate. You don't want to wear the same shoes every day as it wears them out much faster. They need to dry out properly. That would be a good time to get a brown shoe maybe in a different style like a wingtip or boot. Also I would recommend a pair of cedar shoe trees and some shoe cream which will keep the color of your shoes looking nice. Only need to use it when they are looking worn and scuffed.

Not my style at all but if you loved them go for it.

I'm not a fan of square toes or bike toes. They are pretty routinely mocked among fashion types. I might look at the Grenoble or Holton from Ecco as similar shoes with a sleeker toe and more traditional shape. Sky is the limit of you want to spend more of course.

I would also recommend a second pair of shoes to rotate. You don't want to wear the same shoes every day as it wears them out much faster. They need to dry out properly. That would be a good time to get a brown shoe maybe in a different style like a wingtip or boot. Also I would recommend a pair of cedar shoe trees and some shoe cream which will keep the color of your shoes looking nice. Only need to use it when they are looking worn and scuffed.

What good advice !

Maybe the 2nd pair should be an ankle, boot in a cordovan finish. I would get shoe trees for each pair, and you might be fixed for life.

Ron I

I have no idea about your tastes. There are an endless variety of shoe styles. Just do some surfing to find what you like. Good luck.

I've had 2 or 3 pair of Eccos. All of them have been quite comfortable. i found the last pair at Macy's online on sale for $99 (post sale price went up to $170).

These are squaretoe; the previous were biketoe; the previous previous were roundtoe.
I've also gotten Timberland and enjoyed them but they are incredibly heavy compared to the Eccos.

Zappos often lists the weight of the shoe in their details which i find quite helpful.

None of which answers your question but allows me a chance to talk. :laugh: :a44::a44:

If you like them that much, go for it. Having said that, I'm not a big fan of square toe shoes either. I also second the recommendation of getting several pairs of shoes to rotate. Unless the shoes serve a specific purpose (i.e. work shoes), you really don't want to wear the same shoes every day if for nothing else than that shoes need to dry and air out after being worn. Also, by rotating shoes and with some minor maintenance, your shoes will last much longer. I have shoes that are over 10 years old and still look and feel great (although they've been resoled). I also make it a habit to give my leather shoes a quick dry buff with a shoe brush (literally like 15 seconds per shoe) after wearing them for the day and putting shoe trees in them to keep their shape.

Thanks everyone for the responses so far. I probably should have mentioned that I do have other shoes that I "rotate" through. I will admit to not always giving the shoes a day of rest between, but I try to do so. I have a pair of brown slipons (different brand/style) which I will probably replace soon as well. I also have a pair of black boots that I wear during the fall/winter. And a couple pairs of steel toes for work and a pair of cowboy boots I wish I wore more. I don't have trees for everything, but haven't had an issue with anything losing shape either.

One thing I DID notice is that the pair of ECCO's I have is "accepted by the american podiatric medical association". Now, I've never had issues with my feet before. But I did wonder if this had something to do with why they were so comfortable. The only other shoe they have with this same "acceptance" is a pair I find much less attractive (Fusion). I haven't looked yet to see what is different about these shoes from others, or what the "acceptance" thing even means.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Why wouldn't you get another pair of shoes that you like and work well for you? And get some shoe cream for crying out loud. A bit of shoe cream and a brush will only cost you about a minute on most days. And now you know that 4 years is just a little too long - comfort is everything.

Top Bottom