What's new

Time for another Timeless, or an ATT?

While I do enjoy my Timeless .68 OC shaves, there are days when I would like 'something' that shaves just a tad closer, but retain that smoothness.
Maybe it's because of Winter time (in New Zealand) and my whiskers grow quicker now? It could be a seasonal thing, and the Timeless will be fine again in Summer.
I had the .95 OC plate too but sold that as it was a tad too much for every day shaves (for me).
I could just buy another Timeless razor. Dimpled handle, scalloped cap and scalloped .95 base.
Would that give me what I want?
Or do I change to an ATT set for those 'other' days? Maybe a polished stainless setup with R1 and H1 plates (or R2, H2)?
I have a Gillette Black Beauty, so could adjust that out to maybe an 8 or 9 setting, but prefer not too.
Had a Fatboy, but sold that too. Wasn't quite what I wanted either.
Which brings me to adjustables. A Rex Ambassador maybe...but I read a lot of negative remarks on some forums (also read some positive reviews too).
The latest version is the 'O' series numbers.
Are they improved, smoother, shave closer, etc?
Tending towards another Timeless at the moment but maybe an ATT fan (or Rex fan) can point out the error of my ways.
Can get a Nickel plated Karve with B and C plates at the moment, but not been a fan of the Karve. Had one on order but cancelled about 2 years ago.
Don't want anymore vintage...hey, most of my vintage stuff I bought when it was brand new.
What are your thoughts? (yeah, I know. I'm hard to please. Finding the perfect razor is harder than finding the perfect woman).

It seems you are a fan of "smooth". Do you dislike "blade feel"? If you started to like blade feel there are several razors that are more efficient than the Timeless OC .68. R41 with a better handle, Timeless Bronze OC .78 (but handle is 85g and whole razor is 129g) Blackland Dart, Ikon B1, Karve OC with E and F plates etc etc.

I'm surprised the Timeless OC .95 didn't suit you - that's smooth and not much blade feel, and Karve is pretty smooth too.

I love my ATT Satin SSR1 head with titanium handle because it is smooth and mild but it looks like you want something more aggressive so R2 or maybe even H plate will work better for you

Graydog

Biblical Innards
There is a thread here on B&B that writes about a Timeless Ti ,68 that the user makes it more aggressive by loosening up the handle with a 1/4 turn making a little more .
That is a Vintage Gillette trick that Gillette Advertised back in the old days.
I whish I could remember the name of the person that posted it ,he just loves the way that it works and can't say enough about it.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Enjoying a second week of titanium shaves, and was struck by an idea ... A 100-year old Gillette idea.

I unscrewed the head about a quarter turn, and the Ti68 head went from mild to wild! A much more aggressive shave is the result, for anyone who doesn't know this trick. Ridiculously close, two weepers prove it! So. It's an adjustable!

A mild head can be made to shave closer, but one that's already mean .. don't do it.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
There is a thread here on B&B that writes about a Timeless Ti ,68 that the user makes it more aggressive by loosening up the handle with a 1/4 turn making a little more .
That is a Vintage Gillette trick that Gillette Advertised back in the old days.
I whish I could remember the name of the person that posted it ,he just loves the way that it works and can't say enough about it.

Guilty (perhaps) as charged! I didn't invent it, but will promote it.

At this point, it's just a smidge loose … but oh-so-effective.

I'm just loving the Ti68 not-quite-tight shaves. It really is an adjustable razor … well. All three pieces are or can be.

The PAA guy discusses this at length on his site. (HE didn't invent the technique either). But seriously; I wonder how many people returned this head … "Nope. Not aggressive enough." You like weepers, back it off a half turn! Makes R41 look mild.

AA

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Guilty (perhaps) as charged! I didn't invent it, but will promote it.

At this point, it's just a smidge loose … but oh-so-effective.

I'm just loving the Ti68 not-quite-tight shaves. It really is an adjustable razor … well. All three pieces are or can be.

The PAA guy discusses this at length on his site. (HE didn't invent the technique either). But seriously; I wonder how many people returned this head … "Nope. Not aggressive enough." You like weepers, back it off a half turn! Makes R41 look mild.

AA

Going to Timeless today to pick up my new.68 Ti sb :) because of you my friend :)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Going to Timeless today to pick up my new.68 Ti sb :) because of you my friend :)

Wow! Awesome x2! Enjoy the shaves. Hope you find a Ti handle you love, as I did. Nothing better than this space-age metal, IMHO.

Ask the maker about this "slightly loose" technique; love to hear from him.

What a great product! Glad I'm not going ... I'd be spending some money!

Though I have stopped using all other (30-40) razors, some day ... in the back of my mind ... would love a Ti half-open comb, half-solid bar in Ti68 ...

AA

@Iron Paw
Since the .95OC didn't work out as you'd expected I would suggest the .95SB instead of the SC. I have one in Ti and part of a DC in SS and have found them to be very good.

If you want mild smooth razor you will love it. If it is the case then you also get ATT SSR1, it's too difficult to choose which one is better so close they're. It's just titanium feels softer on your face

My current razors (Picollo, Timeless, NEW SC, etc) are fine still. They shave smooth and close, but by early afternoon I now have stubble. Whiskers are growing quicker!
Problem may be a seasonal one. Winter here now, lots of snow with frosts, etc. I think my body is adjusting to our cold conditions and trying to keep my old body warm by shoving out more hair growth. Maybe it's a part of growing older (but I'm only 72 in July, so that can't be the problem).
So, I don't have a problem with the actual shaves I'm getting. Still love the Timeless, but it seems that just now I need a closer shave than the .68 can give. Back when the weather was warmer I could shave in the morning and no stubble showing until early evening. The razors, blades, soaps, etc haven't changed. I think my technique hasn't changed either.
My first thought was just get another complete Timeless razor with the scalloped .95 base and scalloped cap. But also wanted to explore other makers offerings too.
Thanks for the suggestions. I may 'need' a couple of new razors for my Winter shaves..."Look Dear, I now have 2 complete sets of razors. That's my Summer time razors over there, and these are my Winter razors".
What better way to 'enable' self into buying another couple of new razors?

If you are considering a Rex you may look into the (vintage) Gibbs adjustable which appears to have been (at least part of) its inspiration. It’s very smooth, efficient and without blade chatter/movement. Also Timeless is planning a polished Titanium in the near future which sounds exciting.

Best of luck
AJ

I have similar dilema like @Iron Paw: I'm looking some razors as similar agressive as R41 (definitely no more agressive!), but little bit more heavier. Timeless and ATT are very pretty and really good manufactured, but.. which one?

I have similar dilema like @Iron Paw: I'm looking some razors as similar agressive as R41 (definitely no more agressive!), but little bit more heavier. Timeless and ATT are very pretty and really good manufactured, but.. which one?
If your looking for heavier than an R41 in a Timeless razor it would be Stainless first and then Bronze, with the Bronze being the heaviest... I've never had an ATT so I can't speak to that brand.

Top Bottom