What's new

Time for another episode of “Guess the Coti Vein Game”!!

IMG_0565.jpg
IMG_0564.jpg
IMG_0567.jpg
Ok, so this is fast on slurry and water, but also finishes well under light pressure and/or running water.

They both have orange, black and white non-toxic occlusions…. I really like the hone and slurry stone used together. They seem to be the same density, so it takes a bit to raise a slurry…

Attachments

• E86FE07C-C907-4ECB-A70E-E7B1A4BA758D.jpeg
    E86FE07C-C907-4ECB-A70E-E7B1A4BA758D.jpeg
    763.5 KB · Views: 38
  • B6525729-3E85-4744-92BD-3CC1B95FC7AF.jpeg
    B6525729-3E85-4744-92BD-3CC1B95FC7AF.jpeg
    770.3 KB · Views: 33
  • E4D995CA-70B5-41B8-9EBD-012C46C3B27A.jpeg
    E4D995CA-70B5-41B8-9EBD-012C46C3B27A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
If there are white spots on the BBW side too, it could be a 'la grise' vein coticule, IIRC. Otherwise, no clue.

On the other hand, if that is a streak of Coticule down in the BBW, rather than a scratch, it would be a very strong indication that it came from 'la Veinette' instead.

I really hate my new iPhone. It doesn’t focus well for closeups…
I'd guess la gris on the base stone, I have no idea on the other. I have my la gris to my boy, he's 9. He sharpens arrowheads, hatchets, throwing knives and buck knives of it and it seems to give the perfect amount of tooth with little desire to grab skin. His slurry stone is also la gris though. I don't know what your slurry stone is, but it's not la gris. It's the big stone harder than the little one. La gris can be hard and fine or fast, coarser, and toothy(I think). It's the only one I've had. They will cut any steel you put to them, usually quickly from what I've seen. His will auto slurry on a knife but I only tried a razor once, a long time ago, a and I don't really remember. Very useful rock, if for nothing but knives.

I'd guess la gris on the base stone, I have no idea on the other. I have my la gris to my boy, he's 9. He sharpens arrowheads, hatchets, throwing knives and buck knives of it and it seems to give the perfect amount of tooth with little desire to grab skin. His slurry stone is also la gris though. I don't know what your slurry stone is, but it's not la gris. It's the big stone harder than the little one. La gris can be hard and fine or fast, coarser, and toothy(I think). It's the only one I've had. They will cut any steel you put to them, usually quickly from what I've seen. His will auto slurry on a knife but I only tried a razor once, a long time ago, a and I don't really remember. Very useful rock, if for nothing but knives.

The big coti is most certainly a La Grise. The small one, dunno

The big coti is most certainly a La Grise. The small one, dunno
I've got a very small la veinette that had those same yellow lines with a very thin steak of manganese. I use it as a slurry stone because it will make subpar coticules worthwhile. It came with a 1.5" x 1.5" of les lat as a "minimalist travel hone". I like small stone so it was a win for me and now the les latneuses is a les lat slurry stone and the La veinette is used on old coticules. I hope yuppies is what mine was. It's a fun rock. Not aggressive but fine. I think it rounds out the garnets in some of the coarser stones.

The pics suck, honestly. I can't figure out how to get my new iPhone to focus properly.

I have a lot of La Grise and this doesn't look or feel like that. It feels and looks more like the La Veinette (definitely identified because it is Select Plus directly from Ardennes) that I just bought, but its faster, and there is a definite crunchy feedback on slurry. It is the same color, though--a creamy light beige. All my La Grise are glassy or feel like they are coated in wax. This one produces swarf if you just touch the blade to it.

I do wish I had better pics. Hopefully I'll get this phone figured out soon. I miss my Samsung.

I was thinking it might be La Dressante based on how fast it is, and the orange occlusions and blue smudges. It does finish really well given how fast it is.

I only have the descriptions and photos in those old PDFs to go by unfortunately

View attachment 1631636View attachment 1631637View attachment 1631638Ok, so this is fast on slurry and water, but also finishes well under light pressure and/or running water.

They both have orange, black and white non-toxic occlusions…. I really like the hone and slurry stone used together. They seem to be the same density, so it takes a bit to raise a slurry…
The large one looks allot like one of mine.
I am not sure what vein it is from. It does not feel anything like my other two la veinette from Ardennes.
It can easily match the performance of my La Veinnette stones.

Mine is really thin. For all I know it might be a La Grise from a good part of the vein.

It is fast on water and slurry. It also has a more lubricated feel with slurry.
My La Grise has a more dry feeling with slurry.

Attachments

• 20230404_085322.jpg
    20230404_085322.jpg
    722.4 KB · Views: 19
If there are white spots on the BBW side too, it could be a 'la grise' vein coticule, IIRC. Otherwise, no clue.

On the other hand, if that is a streak of Coticule down in the BBW, rather than a scratch, it would be a very strong indication that it came from 'la Veinette' instead.

This one is slate backed, so no BBW. I do have some La Veinette slurry stones that are natural combos that do have the white streaks in the BBW, so I know what you mean.

I think it might be La Veinette. It looks a lot like a piece of Select Plus LV that is currently my favorite. Except for the occlusions this one has and that this is faster than my LV. The orange streaks and blue smudges and how fast/aggressive it is was making me think Dressante

The large one looks allot like one of mine.
I am not sure what vein it is from. It does not feel anything like my other two la veinette from Ardennes.
It can easily match the performance of my La Veinnette stones.

Mine is really thin. For all I know it might be a La Grise from a good part of the vein.

It is fast on water and slurry. It also has a more lubricated feel with slurry.
My La Grise has a more dry feeling with slurry.
My LG all have a draw, or stickiness to them. Lots of stiction especially under running water. But on slurry they almost feel soapy, and then glassy, and then sticky as the blade starts conforming to the stone.

This one and my LV both feel a bit more crunchy at first—like you know that the slurry is taking off some metal and you see that as the slurry becomes dark grey, and you feel and hear it like sand paper—at first—then as the edge is polished they both become more smooth and glassy if using light pressure. They will cut swarf even on plain water with a little pressure

All of these stones end up providing excellent edges, by the way. Some are just a little bit more efficient in doing so.

Reactions: JPO
Top Bottom