What's new

Time For A Shave Safari

Blade #5: Shark Super Stainless

Well, this was unexpected. When I was choosing which sample packs to buy on Amazon, I read quite a few reviews on all the different blades and, one way or the other, came away with the impression that the Shark was a budget blade to be approached with low expectations, which is exactly how I felt about it as I loaded it into my razor. Three BBS shaves later, during which I threw the blade around with my sometimes less-than-cautious zeal, and even added ATG passes for the first time since I started this experiment, and the Shark has moved into the top tier of blades tested so far, along with the Gillette Platinum.

This is a tremendously forgiving blade, for me, that would make for an easy, no-brainer, daily driver (caveat below). I was fearless in the speed I used, or running back over a section with little-to-no cream left, using a less than perfect angle or reversing the attack. Felt like I could do no wrong and each shave ended without irritation and possibly the three best shaves I've had to date.

The caveat: despite the fine outcomes, there was a noticeable blade dulling from shave 1 to shave 2. The drop off to shave 3 wasn't as bad, though there was some. While I realize these blades can be had very inexpensively, I think I'd like to have a go-to blade that goes 3-4 shaves, before sharpness really drops off. Right now, I have the time for extra passes, but once things return to normal that won't be the case.

Also, my beard must be made from copper wire because I can't believe when I read about some of you guys getting 5-6-7+ shaves out of a single blade.

Tell me there are other guys out there who have the same issue?

Top Bottom