What's new

Time For A Shave Safari

A78B165C-035C-4F94-AF30-2515AA009EC6.JPG

Gents,

Long time lurker here; first time poster. After wearing a beard for the past few years, and having now found myself with an unexpected stretch of time at home to experiment, I've decided to shave the beard in favor of a fine, jaunty mustache. Why should Errol Flynn have all the fun?

Despite my wife and daughters' lack of enthusiasm for the 'stache (though my 13 year-old son is fully in favor; chip off the old block, that one), I'm quite enamored with the new look. As such, I've rummaged through my toiletries and (re)assembled a proper shaving kit.

To wit: Merkur 34C, Semouge 1800, Pre de Provence Shave Soap, Thayers Original, Keihl's Multi-Purpose Facial Formula (balm). Huzzah.

For my next trick, I shall embark upon a shave safari to hunt down what will become my go-to razor.

The rules:
1. I change none of the above gear, only the blade.
2. I shave every other day (as I would if the world was still spinning on its proper access).
3. Each blade gets 3 shaves.
4. For right now anyway, each shave is, more or less, a three passer: WTG, ATG, Clean up
5. After the initial round of single elimination, the top three blades will be pitted in a 5 shave contest to determine the winner.

While I consider myself a DE novice, I have previously been able to use a handful of different blades with good results and without bloody incidents. That said, this will be the first time I will be shaving regularly in more years than I can remember, and I recognize that my technique will improve and my face will adjust to the new routine. To account for some of that, I am starting with what *most* consider smoother/duller blades and working my way up(-ish). Down the road, I'll also revisit an earlier tested blade or two if they seemed intriguing, in order to make sure I'm giving them a fair shake.

Here are the blades I have 5 packs of that will be tested (in no particular order):

Derby Extra
Wilkinson Sword (German)
Gilette Platinum
Gilette 7 o'clock Super Stainless (Green box)
Feather
KAI
Shark Super Stainless
Voskhod
Astra SP
Astra SS
Personna Red (Israel)

(Note: at some point, I hope to get my hands on GSB and Personna Lab Blue to add to the test ... but, at this point, I don't really feel like paying $4 in shipping for $2 of blades from tryablade.)

My beard is moderately thick, but the hairs themselves are incredibly thick. More time will tell, but I assume I have average sensitivity, which is to say I don't think I'm probably particularly more or less sensitive than the gen pop.

I'll report my findings here. Perhaps I'll stumble across something someone else might find useful, or perhaps I'll need to consult the wisdom of the group, or perhaps the entire exercise will be super lame and no one will care, but it'll give me one more way to procrastinate when I should be doing, you know, actual work. Either way, sounds like a win to me.

Cheers,

CMP

I started this experiment last week, and began with ye olde Derby Extra, to set a baseline. The consensus on the Derby is that it won't give you the closest shave, but it will give you one sans irritation ... and that was certainly my experience. (Yawn). However, I won't use the word "smooth" to describe the Derby, as others have. I think many people use the word "smooth" to say "no irritation," but I don't think they are the same thing. I'm only one shave into blade #2 in the test, but literally two or three strokes into it and "smooth" took on a whole new meaning, compared to the Derby. All of this is to say I found the Derby to be uninspiring, unremarkable and boring. Fortunately, there are many more blades to go. Onwards!

Last edited:
My hat's off to you CMP !! This sounds like it will be quite an exhilarating "safari." Enjoy the experience.
It seems to me that you're off to a great start, and I wish you the best of luck as you embark on your journey.
For many of us here on Badger & Blade, shaving is so much more than a grooming exercise which must be done
to maintain a smooth face ---- it's a wonderful hobby with a tremendous amount of terrific products to explore
and enjoy. Have fun, find your "best stuff," and keep us posted. I'm looking forward to reading about how you do.

Welcome to B&B CMP! You have assembled a great kit to start off with and have a good plan in place. I'm looking forward to seeing how thigs turn out. BTW, PM me your addy and i'll send you a tuck or two of the the GSB's and Personna Lab Blues.

marty

Reactions: CMP
Thanks so much for at the warm welcome, all!

Blade #2 was the Wilkinson Sword. What a strange blade. The first few strokes of the first shave almost made me say WOW out loud; the razor glided effortlessly over my face, it didn't just feel "not irritating" it felt gooooood. (It's what got me started thinking about what exactly we mean when we say "smooth.") However, by the time I got to my chin (I always start at my sideburn on the right side), that amazing blade feel was gone and it actually felt a lot like the Derby, not amazing, but a very easy shaver. That's when things got weird.

Upon close inspection of the results, the right side of my face -- where I started -- was cut noticeably closer than the left. Both sides had felt more or less the same when I did my clean up, but the visual was indisputable. Kinda strange, I thought, but maybe it was just me. Maybe I didn't do as good of a job as I'd thought.

Then came the second shave. That super smooth blade feel was gone and even the Derby-ish-ness (is that a word?) seemed to degrade with every section of my face shaved. The blade seemed to get scratchier and scratchier as the shave progressed. So much so, that I thought for sure I was going to have some serious irritation and/or razor burn once I was done. Once again though, things were not as expected. Despite how scratchy the blade felt, the results were outstanding. Super clean, close shave. No irritation. Weird.

All-in-all, a very strange and uneven experience. Given how the blade feel degraded over the course of the shave, I won't be giving that blade a third attempt. It felt pretty lousy by the time I was done with that second shave.

Anyone else ever had a similar experience?

I guess the upside is I now have a white rabbit to chase; the sensation of those first few strokes ... if I can find that in a blade that stays consistent over the course of multiple shaves -- that'd be the trick.

Not sure what I'll move to next for tomorrow's shave. Maybe the Gilette or the Shark.

Might I suggest Bic Chrome Platinums in your blade list. These are my best performing blade in all my razors. Best for sharpness and longevity. For a reference on other razors already in your list that agree with me, you Gillette Platinums and the ASTRA SPs. If you don’t get along with them, you will likely wish to pass on the Bics.

Rusty,

Thanks for the tip on the Bics. Duly noted. I'll likely give the Gillette Platinum a run next. I'm saving the Astra SPs for a little later in the test, as I know as they are widely considered a favorite amongst many and I want to be sure I've had a varied experience with a handful of blades before I get to the Astra SP/Voskhod/Personna group.

Rusty,

Thanks for the tip on the Bics. Duly noted. I'll likely give the Gillette Platinum a run next. I'm saving the Astra SPs for a little later in the test, as I know as they are widely considered a favorite amongst many and I want to be sure I've had a varied experience with a handful of blades before I get to the Astra SP/Voskhod/Personna group.
I was late to the Astra sp and the Gillette platinum party, but they were great for me, just trying to help with identifying similar blades, if it’s even somewhat possible.

Thank you for your posts, I’m enjoying your reviews. If you still want to try GSB & Personna Lab Blues, send me a PM with your address & I’ll mail you some.

Of your listed blades I regularly use Feather and Voskhod, with Astra SP sneaking in once in a while.

I have used Derby Extra and Personna Red (Israel), but did not take to them.

I also currently have Supermax Blue Diamond and Rapira Platinum Lux in my line up. If you would like to try either or both, PM me and I’ll send you some.

Enjoy your test runs. I’ll be interested to see what you decide to adopt.

Blade #3: Gillette Platinum

3 shaves, 3 really great results. Close, smooth, clean as a whistle every time. Probably had at least one more good shave in the blade; will revisit longevity if it makes the final group. I was rushing a bit today and probably moving faster than I should, but the easy blade feel allowed me to whip it around with impunity. This is daily driver material. If I ended the search right now, I could shave with nothing but this blade and be perfectly happy. Exceedingly user friendly. Good stuff.

Last edited:
I have received a pair of the German Wilkies from @CMP .

The test plan for side-by-side shaves is shaping up. It seems to involve a lot of blade shuffling.

Blade 1 - 3 shaves vs my mainline Rapira Platinum Lux using three different razors
Wunderbar/Gillette New Short Comb/FaTip Lo Storto
Arko

Blade 2 - 3 shaves vs Feather, three more razors
Karve OC-C/RazoRock German 37/PAA nickel DOC
CBL Roasted Oatmeal Stout

And we’ll see how far the Wilkies go beyond shave 3. Any further shaves will use the Wunderbar (my only duplicate razor). I’m intrigued to see if I have an oddball experience similar to CMP’s.

Wilkinson v Rapira Platinum Lux test 1

Twin Wunderbars, Wilkie R, RPL L
Arko / Vulfix boar
One day growth

The Wilkie got off to a strong start, smoother and quieter on the first two passes, with closeness tied or better than the RPL. The initial smoothness of the Wilkie impressed, with the RPL catching up on the second pass.

The third pass is strictly touch up on the R and L neck whorls. The R whorl is the toughest spot by far, hardly ever worth it to attempt BBS. The Wilkie did a creditable job there, got as close as I usually try to get. I then gave the RPL a shot and it got just a little closer, to the level I would expect with a best blade on shave 1 in the Wunderbar (my high standard).

I used my alum block and Florida Water to test for irritation. No problems with either side, but I have to say the Wilkie/R side was practically zero sting, a very high standard with the Florida Water. And that is even after doing extra touch up on the right side. So the Wilkie smoothness was not illusion.

Bottom line - the Wilkie far outperformed the German trio, Merkur/Timor/Bolzano on shave 1. Versus RPL, smoother but not as close in the toughest spot. So far, it could make it into my blade brood.

Next up, Gillette vintage. I will be extremely interested in how the Wilkie holds up on shave 2.

Wilkinson v Rapira Platinum Lux test 2

Rhodium replate New Short Comb, Wilkie L, RPL R
Arko / Zenith boar
One day growth

The Wilkie was just a shade less smooth/sharp than shave 1 on the first two passes, with closeness a little behind the RPL. The RPL was a little smoother than shave 1, but also less sharp.

Touch up with the Wilkie was a little more effort and a little less close than day 1. The Wilkie was no slouch, but when given last innings it couldn’t improve on the RPL’s result on the difficult right whorl.

I gave the shave plenty of attention and would rate it DFS+. I used my alum block and Clubman to test for irritation. Both sides had very little sting. Call it a tie.

The Wilkie is still the best German blade I’ve used by a wide margin. There was no dramatic change on shave 2.

Wilkinson v Rapira Platinum Lux test 3

Fatip Lo Storto OC slant, Wilkie R, RPL L
Arko / Vulfix boar
One day growth

The Wilkie was clearly smoother and shaved closer than the RPL on shave 3. Touch up with both blades didn’t get to full DFS. Call it DFS minus with too much touch up work required.

The Wilkie had the superior score on both alum and bay rum. To me this is a clear win for the Wilkie, with the caveat that this RPL did not live up to my expectations on shave 3.

Interesting results, Tanuki. I'm glad you got good shaves from the Wilkie. My (limited) experience with that blade was so odd, I'm definitely going to revisit it at some point, just to see how it goes. Also looking forward to trying out the RPL and Super Max you sent my way!

Blade #4: Gillette Seven O'Clock Super Stainless (Green)

Meh. From some of the reviews I'd read, I had high hopes for this blade, but my experience was unremarkable. Decent but not great shaves. No irritation, but not what I'd call a smooth shaving experience. Felt rough on the face, a lot of drag. Thought maybe on first shave I didn't quite have the lather quite dialed, but the PdP is pretty damn near idiot proof and successive shaves bore same results.

Between having high hopes for this blade and being unimpressed, and having low expectations for the blade I'm using now and getting (on shave 1 anyway) the best shave I've had to date ... the one thing that is becoming abundantly clear is that it is damn near impossible to know what is going to work best for you until you actually load but the blade and take it for a spin. So many surprises.

Top Bottom