What's new

Time for a new watch

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I'm finally at a place in life where I could afford just about any watch I want. Lol, IF the War Department approves the allocation of funds, that is..... but: now that I CAN afford one I find that I really just want quartz.
Why?

LOL! Because I can buy MORE watches! It'll be hard having to listen to her yell at me, but........ I'm worth it!!!
A quartz watch is cheaper than a divorce attorney. Plus you can look at your phone for the time 😁😂😎
Or better yet can you still call the operator and ask for the correct time? You could try that.
Or just buy a watch and make sure you intercept the mail when it arrives and then hide it and peak at it when she’s not around. 🤣

FarmerTan

FarmerStan the Man
A quartz watch is cheaper than a divorce attorney. Plus you can look at your phone for the time 😁😂😎
Or better yet can you still call the operator and ask for the correct time? You could try that.
Or just buy a watch and make sure you intercept the mail when it arrives and then hide it and peak at it when she’s not around. 🤣
Brother.....you been watching me through my cell phone?!?

You've just described our life in vivid color!
You've made me think of the NBC Peacock! True story doggone!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Brother.....you been watching me through my cell phone?!?

You've just described our life in vivid color!
You've made me think of the NBC Peacock! True story doggone!
Better reception through the quartz watch actually.
Watching you? I’m not saying it’s aliens but it’s definitely 👽

Slim :
1. Was that seiko 385 retail because street price on most Seikos is 15-30% of retail easily.

2. Assembling your own watch for 161.00 (the sum of all the materials listed above) is certainly a wonderful endeavor but value is not one of them. For 200ish, you could get a Orient Kamasu (dive) or an Orient dress model for 160 ish and have a warranty.

3. You cost of materials presumes no other tools needed and no parts damage when you assembly the watch.

4. To repeat, as an endeavor, self watch making is a noble thing and most respectful. As a value proposition...not so much.
At least not in this financial/feature space.
I come up with $155 with tools, but I’m nowhere near fully caffeinated.

Those parts are what I put in my fleabay cart in a five minute search. I may be able to cut that down, not sure. It’s still quite a bit less than $385. Also, I think I would like the process of assembling my own unique watch (similar to others sure, but not exactly like them). I checked high and low for a better price on the Seiko I was lusting after and couldn’t do better than $195 for a used one that had a suspicious looking “piece of lint or glare” on the edge of its crystal.

There are companies that sell watchmaking kits, but none have the look I want for less than $350. At that point I would definitely choose to spend the extra $35.

It’s all moot though because it was pointed out to me (rather forcefully) that I have other more pressing financial responsibilities for the present.

You might want to scan the listings on AliExpress, ebay, and similar places. Where you can find many variants including homages such as the 62mas, Willard using the NH35 movement. There was a few hundred page long thread on another watch forum of mostly satisfied buyers, but I don't recall exactly which AliExpress brands/stores were most recommended but I think "Steeldive" was one of them. I mention all that as another way to spend a similar amount for a prebuilt watch.

Just one example listing...I am not recommending this watch one way or the other, as I know very little about it:

Top Bottom