What's new

Time for a new razor

I just ordered the Henson Al13 medium, any suggestions for blades or technique? I wasn't sure whether to get the mild or medium as reviews vary so much. I've been pretty happy with a Progress on 3 or 4, would you say the medium is comparable? Thanks, Mark
Henson says the Al13 was engineered to work best with Astra SP blades. I get BBS from both the mild and medium Al13. I prefer the mild on the face, medium for head shave. The only difference for me is a bit more blade feel on the medium.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Less worried about you, plenty of twisty rabbit holes for you to stumble into and figure out. Treat LOTH right and it all falls into place. IMHO although it's the same razor she might prefer a 38c... longer handle. Add in some Stirling Witchy Woman and move in for the kill.

The Henson will feel like a lightweight compared to the Progress. Technique will be almost automatic due to the Henson design. I would say the medium Henson will be close to the Progress on 3. I can get equal quality of shaves from both. I bought the Ti22 in medium for the added weight. I like it better than the AL13 for that reason. I've had great luck with Astra SP, Bolzano, Rapira Swedish Super Steel, Polsilver, and German Wilkinson Sword. The Henson has become my go to most mornings. Hope you like it as well.
Thanks so much, this is great information. I tend to like lighter razors so this should work out. I was into aggressive razors for a while and was using an R41 for daily shaves and realized that my face was getting sore from such a close razor, although it was a smooth shave IMO. I switched to the Gillette skin guard for a little bit (even though I swore I would never pay Gillette prices again!) to let my skin calm down and realized my face prefers mild razors although it takes longer to shave. They have a 100 day full refund return policy so if it's too aggressive I can return it and get the mild. Thanks again! Mark

Henson says the Al13 was engineered to work best with Astra SP blades. I get BBS from both the mild and medium Al13. I prefer the mild on the face, medium for head shave. The only difference for me is a bit more blade feel on the medium.
Thanks so much, that's helpful. I guess I'll just have to try it and see.

Thanks so much, this is great information. I tend to like lighter razors so this should work out. I was into aggressive razors for a while and was using an R41 for daily shaves and realized that my face was getting sore from such a close razor, although it was a smooth shave IMO. I switched to the Gillette skin guard for a little bit (even though I swore I would never pay Gillette prices again!) to let my skin calm down and realized my face prefers mild razors although it takes longer to shave. They have a 100 day full refund return policy so if it's too aggressive I can return it and get the mild. Thanks again! Mark

I think you'll find the Henson to be on the mild side and smooth. Just be careful about adding pressure since it's lighter weight. I had to watch that aspect when I first received the AL13. You can also unscrew the handle a quarter to half turn to add a bit more efficiency if required (it will still hold he blade very tight). I have not had to do this as the medium works great for me as is.

I tried the Henson Medium, in aluminum, with Feather blades. It's just perfect. There is virtually zero effort needed, no need to be careful even, it's just awesome. Very different than the progress (Progress requires care).

Honestly, after trying 10+ razors over the last few years (including the progress which was one of my favorites but awkward in balance and weight imo) this gives me by far the best shave I've had. I really was not expecting to like it as every company says "the last razor you'll ever buy" but in this case...that may be true. For me I prefer the lighter weight, it allows for more control of the shave and the ability for a feather touch.

I've only tried the Astra and Personna Platinum, I've never liked the Astras much but the Personna blade is great. I should probably try some others as well. I do need to do 3 passes with touch up, which takes a little longer but so worth it.

Top Bottom