What's new

Time for a New .45 ACP

I own and carry a springfield 1911 45 acp on a daily basis when not deployed. Yes the Colt is nice but you are paying the price for the name, Kimber is a nice weapon, but a factory loaded 1911 officer or full size is a tried and true platform. This pistol has been imitated by how many companies, countries and calibers? Dont shortcut yourself.

Let me throw in my two cents. One of my 45s that I shoot the most is the Auto Ordanance I got for Christmas years ago. It is a good shooter and have never had misfire of any kind, even with my reloads. I probably have a couple thousand rounds thru it. Love my Kimber, it is a nail driver. And since you are in the Bayou State, I will mention the 45 Sig that was a former La State Police issue. There is a shop in BR that took these guns from the state and now sells them. Heard they were going for about 500 last year. Good luck and enjoy that gun.

Let me throw in my two cents. One of my 45s that I shoot the most is the Auto Ordanance I got for Christmas years ago. It is a good shooter and have never had misfire of any kind, even with my reloads. I probably have a couple thousand rounds thru it. Love my Kimber, it is a nail driver. And since you are in the Bayou State, I will mention the 45 Sig that was a former La State Police issue. There is a shop in BR that took these guns from the state and now sells them. Heard they were going for about 500 last year. Good luck and enjoy that gun.

Do you know which shop? BR Police Supplies?

I don't recall. I will try to contact some of my Trooper buddies to see. I will let you know. BR police supplies don't sound right. I want to say it is a Mans name but it escapes me now. It is the same shop that is the dealer for their new Glocks.

I don't recall. I will try to contact some of my Trooper buddies to see. I will let you know. BR police supplies don't sound right. I want to say it is a Mans name but it escapes me now. It is the same shop that is the dealer for their new Glocks.

I assumed they got them from Lipsey's Distributors, I be interested to know just for trivia's sake.

I joined this forum for information on shaving but found quite an enclave of firearms aficionados here. I enjoy the use and study of firearms, especially the historical, traditional, and classic models.

I came in on the tail end of an era where, if one wanted a .45 automatic, he had a choice of a new or used Colt or else a surplus military contract pistol. I'm still a fan of the authentic Colt product. I'm also not much enthused at all about highly customized, tweaked 1911-type pistols or any Commander or shorter length variations. Plain, unmolested Colt Government Models or those same ol' G.I. pistols appeal to me most. I'm entertaining picking up a new Colt Series 70 reissue Government Model by year-end though I keep looking longingly at the nicer Government Models of the post-WWII to 1970 era on the firearms auction sites. Since this will be a usin' gun I probably ought to stay away from the fine older ones.

I've shot off a large pile of .45 ACP ammunition over the years. The Colt pistols have always been reliable and trouble-free. Whether it's a really old one or a not so old one I'll stick with Colt for .45 automatic pistol shooting.

1918 vintage Colt 1911
proxy.php

1979 vintage Colt Series 70 Gold Cup
proxy.php

I have owned a couple of Auto Ordanance 1911s and a Colt 70 series standard govt model. I have sold them both but still have the Remington-Rand pistol I bought from a WW2 vet 30 years ago.
It gets shot about once a month.

Can't really comment on the current manufacturers. I know Bill Laughridge of Cylinder & Slide, I was born in Fremont, NE. I would take anything out of his shop before spending the big dollars for a factory made "custom".

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Two words.....SPRINGFIELD ARMORY. If you shy away from a 1911 variant, then go with a SIG 220.

^^^^
This

That said, I have a highly modified (only original parts are frame, slide, barrel & sights) Kimber that is my EDC.

proxy.php

proxy.php

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
John Browning was a genius. First the 1903, which evolved to the larger caliber 1911- the most copied gun in the world. Second, the 50 cal which is still used by our military to this day.

Top Bottom