What's new

Time for a New .45 ACP

I would be willing to bet that 8 out of 10 civilians would shoot no better groups with the $1800+ custom shop Colt as they would with the Springfield GI model.

Well put. My friend's Stoeger 12 gauge cost about $350. He cranks out maybe 25 rounds a year. Should last him quite a while. My Browning Citori cost one helluva lot more than $350 and shooting maybe a thousand rounds a year, will probably last longer than his Stoeger. He is as accurate with that Stoeger as I am with the Browning. So...what logic dictates he spend a WHOLE lot more $$$ for a high end shotgun he will barely use but once a year? Why does one need a Maserati to drive to the market once or twice weekly and pick the kid up from soccer practice on Saturday?

Being that it's the 100th Anniversary of the 1911, there's a lot of great pieces out there now from a variety of manufacturers. Why not go with where it all started and get the Colt? To me, that would be the F150 of them all...the original!

Well put. My friend's Stoeger 12 gauge cost about $350. He cranks out maybe 25 rounds a year. Should last him quite a while. My Browning Citori cost one helluva lot more than $350 and shooting maybe a thousand rounds a year, will probably last longer than his Stoeger. He is as accurate with that Stoeger as I am with the Browning. So...what logic dictates he spend a WHOLE lot more $$$ for a high end shotgun he will barely use but once a year? Why does one need a Maserati to drive to the market once or twice weekly and pick the kid up from soccer practice on Saturday?

We hope to encourage people to shoot more, be shooters instead of owners.

I wonder what the profit margin is for those 4 digit $ firearms...

What is a Glock @cost now days? $430? retail is what $500 so what... $70 or 14% profit.

10% on $1,850 is $185. Getting firearms advice from someone with a stake in it is folly.

LOL....You make 15 points on Glocks all day long, day in and day out. We MAYBE get two-three SCGs a year. You wait as much as 3 months for Wilsons, 6 months for other Colts. In fact, unless I go down th the shot show and drop $100K on Colt orders, I wont see any at all. Finacially, we are far better off whoring out Glocks at $500 then saying to folks, naw, dont buy a Glock, buy a SGC.

Want an SGC from us? get in line, there are 14 advanced shooters ahead of you willing to wait. If you cant wait, buy the lesser Colts, or even worse, buy JAPFG.

Meanwhile, the SCG you wait for and buy at $1850 (we sell them cheaper by the way) is gonna be worth that in 20 years. Your Glock isnt.

Last edited:
Hey Granaura, Us Canucks are allowed to own guns too.
You just have to pass a safety course and pay the $80 to the government for the licence.
Then you can buy most rifles, shotguns, and pistols.

Deleted my original comments, arguing about firearms with random internet people is tired. PM me if you want my opinion.

Last edited:
Well, thanks for all the input. Based on all (including but not limited to what I received here) input I'm going with a Para GI LTC. Looks like it is the best choice all things considered. Thanks again for your collective advice.

Well, thanks for all the input. Based on all (including but not limited to what I received here) input I'm going with a Para GI LTC. Looks like it is the best choice all things considered. Thanks again for your collective advice.

Congratulations, I would love to here what YOU think of the gun after having it awhile, I'm very interested in that one.:thumbup1:

Late to the game, but I'd say, for a pistol that you are going to use as you describe, just buy what you want and to heck with what we think.

If'n I was you, I'd get a vintage military pistol, 'cause they have soul. But I ain't you.

It's good that we have developed the 1911 platform to the point where every atom of the pistol is gone over and refined, because those old guns that punks like Alvin York used where complete disasters. Why, if they had custom pistolsmiths specializing in highly modified 1911s back in the day, we might have won those world wars.

Have fun! Post a picture, too!

I've loved by 1911's, Sig 220, ParaOrd Colonel and even my Smith and Colt 45acp revolvers but I recently got a Springfield XD 45 compact-what a gun! Comfortable, incredibly accurate, high cap, feels great in the hand and priced right! If I could have only one 45 this would be it --- well, except for my Colt Combat Commander!

I have a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry and an STS Pro Carry as well as a Ruger P90. They've all functioned reliably for me both on and off the job.

Jury is in...

Para Ordnance GI LTC .45 has shaped up to be one of the better pistols I have owned over the years. Nice finish, great balance, DEAD ON sights from 15 yards..easy to keet a 3 1/2 " group going through an 8 round magazine in <10 seconds. The alloy frame lets you know if you're firing +p rounds, but that's not going to be an issue. Even the local Sheriff's office has come off +p and gone to regular Speer 230 gr. HP. For sure, if it's good enough for them, it's fine for me.

Carries very well in a High-Noon IWB tuckable holster. Waistband or inner (leather motorcycle) jacket pocket both interface will with the High-Noon. Well worth the price of admission. It will prove to be a nice addition to the arsenal.
http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/files/4/1/0/2/4/para45.jpgsion.

Last edited:
I have heard good things about the Ruger 1911 45 ACP.

I've been looking at purchasing my first modern pistol as a .45acp 1911 since it IS 2011 and not 20GLOCK haha. Regardless I researched at the beginning of this year, and some good firearms for you to look at might be that used Colt as mentioned above, EMF Hartford 1911, and auto-ordnance 100th anniversary ED 1911. I don't know much about those except they are all made in the US, and it seems that might be important to you?

The pistol I am mainly thinking to purchase is the Ruger SR1911 that I've heard a lot about, which is 100% US and is about $600 to $700. Research those a little bit, they might be your best bet. I have almost exclusively seen great things about the SR1911, unlike the controversial Remington 1911 that I also once considered.

Rugers do look nice; I own a couple of their rifles and they are fine pieces of work. Bad thing about their 1911 is that they seem to be in VERY short supply. Have yet to talk to a dealer that has seen one in hand.
Just to mention about the "Made in USA" concerns for 1911 platform pistols on today's market:
Ruger=USA
Colt=USA
Para Ordnance=USA
Kimber=USA
S&W=USA
Springfield Armory=Brazil
Taurus=Brazil
Sig Sauer=I don't know anymore, New Hampshire?
Remington=USA
Glock=doesn't make a 1911 platform pistol

And of course there are myriad other companies all over the world out there who manufacture 1911s

Top Bottom