What's new

Time for a New .45 ACP

Kimbers Series II and on are plagued with QC and reliability options. Renowned 1911 pistol smith Hilton Yam on the subject

I agree with Ace that 1911s are overhyped and the 1911 is not a cheap weapon to get into if you want a good one.

Personally, I'd go with the M&P .45 as I linked to earlier. If you MUST have a 1911, a Springfield Loaded, TRP, or used Wilson CQB are good choices. It's not hard to find a good used 1911.

I have a Kimber Series I Pro Carry in my safe.

Here are your production 1911 rankings, from someone, moi, who probably has sold, handled and shot over 5,000 1911s factory, custom and whatever:

1. Colt SCG or any Colt from their custom shop
2. Wilson Combat
3. Les Baer
4. Colt Rail Gun
5. Colt Gold Cup
6. Colt XSE or standard 1911 if you want the retro style
7. Springfield TRP.

After that comes the SIG series guns, which arent true 1911s. Then follow the S&ws and the rest of the Springer line. Kimbers dont make the grade. Plastic guns dont deserve to be mentioned.

If you really want an auto, but dont need a .45, get the new SIG 210. Wayne Novaks shop and Bill Laughrides shop build excellent 1911s, on par with Bill Wilsons and the best colts, but they are "custom"

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I can't comment on the two brands you're asking about. I have done some reading on the Remington and am considering purchasing one. Another one in your price range that I have shot many times via gun range rental, is a basic model Para-ordinance 1911, this is probably what I'll wind up with. The Rock Islands look good for the price, they may not be still manufacturing, but there are still plenty to purchase

In your position I'd go with the springfield. In fact, I expect I will be in your position in a year or two and I expect I will go with the springfield. While it's true they aren't as tricked out and nice as some of the custom and semi-custom makers in your price range those guys aren't an option anyway and generally the springfields are well made and reliable.

CDNN is selling the mil-spec model for $570 right now. Heck of a deal. It also would serve as a good base to slowly upgrade parts later on down the line if you decide to go that route.

Of course, if you just want a single action .45acp that is dead reliable and very accurate the sig 220 is hard to beat.

I'm sorry, I can't comment on the two brands you're asking about. I have done some reading on the Remington and am considering purchasing one. Another one in your price range that I have shot many times via gun range rental, is a basic model Para-ordinance 1911, this is probably what I'll wind up with. The Rock Islands look good for the price, they may not be still manufacturing, but there are still plenty to purchase

Avoid the Paras.

Here are your production 1911 rankings, from someone, moi, who probably has sold, handled and shot over 5,000 1911s factory, custom and whatever:

1. Colt SCG or any Colt from their custom shop
2. Wilson Combat
3. Les Baer
4. Colt Rail Gun
5. Colt Gold Cup
6. Colt XSE or standard 1911 if you want the retro style
7. Springfield TRP.

After that comes the SIG series guns, which arent true 1911s. Then follow the S&ws and the rest of the Springer line. Kimbers dont make the grade. Plastic guns dont deserve to be mentioned.

If you really want an auto, but dont need a .45, get the new SIG 210. Wayne Novaks shop and Bill Laughrides shop build excellent 1911s, on par with Bill Wilsons and the best colts, but they are "custom"

I'll just bet you tried selling Kimbers and had to deal with the endless QC problems, eh?

Good list. I'd add the Springfield Pro if obtainable.

Getting annoying

He is right on Paras and Kimbers, although wrong on SIGs. I run Para with Taurus in terms of quality, to wit: none.

One I left off the list was the Ruger, it isnt refined and not particularly accurate, but it is a Ruger. That means its a forever gun.

Paras are rife with problems and have what's described as an "air soluble" finish. For the money, a Springfield Loaded is far better than a Para.

SIG's recent (2 years and counting) drop in quality is well known.

The new Springfield Range Officer looks very nice and has good reviews so far.

proxy.php

If you want American made, it's either Kimber or Colt. I bought a Custom II in your range and am happy with it. If you want the best bang for your buck I recommend looking into Springfield Armory's line up. Especially once you get into the 'Loaded' Variant you get more for your money, the price being that it isn't made in the U.S.A.

Wow...never thought this thread would have gone this far and odd as it may seem, two of the primary questions I submitted on Post #1 have yet to be addressed. This exercise has certainly demonstrated that in the wild, wonderful world of firearms, opinions are many and quite diverse; that's a good thing.

Thinking maybe I should have kept the Glock...nah, it had no soul.

Still have yet to find out:
1. Is the Remington R1 made (completely or partially) in Ilion, NY?
2. Why would Remington advise NOT to use +P in this firearm?

Oh, as far as "Made in the USA", let us not forget the 1911 offerings from Ruger (AZ), Ithaca (NY), Para (NC, or so I have been advised), and last but not least, Remington (NY, again so I have been told)...too bad Beretta doesn't make the M9 in .45. THAT would be something to own!!

1. Colt SCG or any Colt from their custom shop $1,850
2. Wilson Combat $2,250+
3. Les Baer $1,690+
4. Colt Rail Gun $1,029
5. Colt Gold Cup $1,029
6. Colt XSE or standard 1911 if you want the retro style $800+
7. Springfield TRP. $1,674

http://www.impactguns.com/brand-colt.aspx
I wonder what the profit margin is for those 4 digit $ firearms...

What is a Glock @cost now days? $430? retail is what $500 so what... $70 or 14% profit.

10% on $1,850 is $185. Getting firearms advice from someone with a stake in it is folly.

Last edited:
I would be willing to bet that 8 out of 10 civilians would shoot no better groups with the $1800+ custom shop Colt as they would with the Springfield GI model.

Top Bottom