What's new

Time exposure Brownie

Still putting Delta 400 through the upgraded Hawkeye flash.

Decided to try out longer exposures to see how the camera and film worked out.

Local Esso station, couple hundred feet back and late enough to minimize traffic.
15 sec exposure and a lot of brightness reduction post scanning.

gas bar.jpg

Also a nearby church that is kind of tucked away on a quiet road.. kind of creepy while I got the shot.
Again, 15 sec but dim enough that brightness adjustment wasn't as called for.

This little vintage Bakelite cube just blows my mind!!

img166 (Medium).jpg

Still putting Delta 400 through the upgraded Hawkeye flash.

Decided to try out longer exposures to see how the camera and film worked out.

Local Esso station, couple hundred feet back and late enough to minimize traffic.
15 sec exposure and a lot of brightness reduction post scanning.

View attachment 1251628

Also a nearby church that is kind of tucked away on a quiet road.. kind of creepy while I got the shot.
Again, 15 sec but dim enough that brightness adjustment wasn't as called for.

This little vintage Bakelite cube just blows my mind!!

View attachment 1251638
Nicely done. It has always amazed me how good the shots were from the Hawkeye. I never understood why people accepted the quality of the Instamatic cameras. They were far inferior. I think it’s likely due to the negative size.

Nicely done. It has always amazed me how good the shots were from the Hawkeye. I never understood why people accepted the quality of the Instamatic cameras. They were far inferior. I think it’s likely due to the negative size.

You're probably right, I can take a decent 120 negative and enlarge it on screen to a point
that is nearly on par with a digital pic.

Case in point..
My first shot of the church was take at the entrance of its really long lane (sorry the frame is tilted.
In the dark, it's tough to see the edges of the small viewfinder).

The distance is several hundred feet so the exposure was approx. 25 sec.
After scanning, there wasn't much else in the shot so I cropped the church which enlarged the image.

At first I thought there was just the usual dust and lint on the image but..
did my little Hawkeye manage to capture the constellation Orion?

distance.jpg
Orion.jpg

You're probably right, I can take a decent 120 negative and enlarge it on screen to a point
that is nearly on par with a digital pic.

Case in point..
My first shot of the church was take at the entrance of its really long lane (sorry the frame is tilted.
In the dark, it's tough to see the edges of the small viewfinder).

The distance is several hundred feet so the exposure was approx. 25 sec.
After scanning, there wasn't much else in the shot so I cropped the church which enlarged the image.

At first I thought there was just the usual dust and lint on the image but..
did my little Hawkeye manage to capture the constellation Orion?

View attachment 1252059View attachment 1252060
Very impressive. You usually don’t see stars in shots that are properly exposed for front lit scenes like the church.

Although I wonder if you could alter the exposure in post processing. The church is a little too bright. The top part looks okay, so you would have to apply a gradient that darkens the bottom and leaves the top alone.

that’s way past my Photoshop/Lightroom skills.

Top Bottom