What's new

Time consuming foaming with Stirling

Am I the only one who finds Stirling soap slow to lather?
I do lather on my face, but one thing is certain: Stirling is THIRST for water.

proxy.php

The Turtleship Coconut, which is also the base of the tallow, explodes into foam in 1 minute.
Stirling takes about 5 minutes adding water to get to the point.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I never had any trouble lathering Stirling soaps. If its new, it might be a bit dry, it will soften with use. It will absorb water and become easier to lather.

I loved my tub of Black Cherry.

No problems here. As with most soaps I used to load way too much. Since I have cut down on my loading, while keeping the same amounts of water, lather explodes on my face. Including Stirling soaps!

Regardless if I drop a sliver in my bowl or load and lather 🧽 n my face it is quick. Definitely one of the easiest soaps I know

I face lather also and never had an issue with Stirling lathering. It always lathers quick and luxeriously for me no matter what brush type I use.

Maybe try different methods, start with a dryer brush and add water as you go or try a wetter brush to start with. Let us know how it goes.

I've only used Stirling with a synthetic bursh (PAA Peregrino), and it only takes a minute or so of loading before lathering on the face. Seems like a solid product to me. 🤷‍♂️

Note: my face is already quite hydrated from the shower, and I don't squeeze the brush out completely before starting to load...

Stirling is a thirsty soap but quite easy to work with for me. Try loading less and with more water to make the process faster. I take about 5min bowl lathering and I enjoy the process.

When I face lather it with a two band, it comes up fast. Really fast. The two band holds enough water that I basically just shake it out, load, and go. Other brushes I have to either shake out less or wet the tips to get the ratio right. But mostly I bowl lather and it takes about a minute and a half to get it where I want it. Without knowing what kind of brush you're using I'd say start drier and add water incrementally until you get the consistency you want.

I should add, that if you bowl lather it with a moderate sized boar, the "Marco Method" will produce acre-feet of lather. I found that I actually don't always want it that wet even though I use straights exclusively, but it gives you a good baseline for just how much water the soap will take.

I see the time difference in the loading, but not in the lathering.

I never thought Stirling took more time until I noticed how much faster PAA and B&M omni load. It's all relative - it's still only 2-3 minutes versus 60 - 90 seconds (or faster) for PAA and B&M. I've also started letting Stirling bloom with a little bit of water while showering.

I never actually timed how long it takes me to make a good lather with Stirling. If I remember I'll have to time it.

Top Bottom