What's new

Time/Agitation Is Also an Ingredient When Building Lather

I don’t think the baking analogy works. Because in baking water is a minor ingredient in what’s going on, whereas in leather making, water is a major ingredient if not one of the most important ingredients. Also in baking, there are other chemical reactions going on.

Water is a major ingredient in baking, and I say that from personal experience. Bread, for example, is typically around 63 or so parts (63 %) water to 100 parts (100 %) flour by weight/mass. Shift down to 55 % or up to 70 % water and you'll have HUGE differences. Subjectively, I'd say that bread is more sensitive to the water-to-flour ratio than lather is to the water-to-soap ratio, but that's neither here nor there. There are other reactions going on in baking, as you mentioned, because of leaveners and enzymes, at least. Oh, time is very important in baking preparation, too, and should similarly be considered an ingredient in baking as it should be considered an ingredient in building lather. The analogy is good.

Water is a major ingredient in baking, and I say that from personal experience. Bread, for example, is typically around 63 or so parts (63 %) water to 100 parts (100 %) flour by weight/mass. Shift down to 55 % or up to 70 % water and you'll have HUGE differences. Subjectively, I'd say that bread is more sensitive to the water-to-flour ratio than lather is to the water-to-soap ratio, but that's neither here nor there. There are other reactions going on in baking, as you mentioned, because of leaveners and enzymes, at least. Oh, time is very important in baking preparation, too, and should similarly be considered an ingredient in baking as it should be considered an ingredient in building lather. The analogy is good.

In terms of water:product ratios though and the fact that the water-soap mixture is the only “reaction” going on, the comparison just isn’t similar enough to me.

Bread mixtures also change the properties of the ingredients completely and also lose water at a far slower rate than lather mixtures which, except for what little original moisturizer from the product evaporates with the water, retains its basic properties.

Of course any analogies break down at various points, so...idk. Continuing to throw out ideas and play devils advocate for the continuance of your research. :001_tongu

In terms of water:product ratios though and the fact that the water-soap mixture is the only “reaction” going on, the comparison just isn’t similar enough to me.

Bread mixtures also change the properties of the ingredients completely and also lose water at a far slower rate than lather mixtures which, except for what little original moisturizer from the product evaporates with the water, retains its basic properties.

Of course any analogies break down at various points, so...idk. Continuing to throw out ideas and play devils advocate for the continuance of your research. :001_tongu

I get that, Chris. Analogies aren't perfect. Sometimes, one person likes an analogy for one reason and another person doesn't like it for another reason. It's okay. I get your point about water evaporation. Thanks for the feedback and challenging discussion. :001_smile

LOL - don't go trying to shave with pancake batter! :)
I was simply referring to the mixing/agitation time...

Top Bottom