What's new

Time/Agitation Is Also an Ingredient When Building Lather

One of the things that just occurred to me is that when I shave, I make an effort to minimize the time between getting out of the shower and shaving so that my skin is still fully hydrated when I start to lather. I set up my razor and soap on the sink so I can be shaving 30 seconds after I get out of the shower.

It someone spends 3-4 minutes making lather after getting out of the shower, it seems like their face and whisker would be completely dry by the time the lather went on. Maybe that has something to do with it? Starting with completely saturated/hydrated skin and whiskers because neither one drys out in 60 seconds of lathering?

Just a thought.

Minute Method™: Experiment 1

I think you're on to something with the Minute Method Grant so I had to test it out for myself. I dusted off the old RR Monster and rinsed out bowl this morning for my Saturday shave. This morning was day one of a 7 day blind test of Gillette Silver Blue vs Gillette Minora. The razors were two identical RR TeckII's. Each razor is apportioned one half of the face a la Blade Wars. No preshave other than showering. My soap was Cella, a reliable favorite. My Saturday shaves are 6 passes. A Muhle R41 with a Feather (first use) carries out the final 3. Postshave with Afterburn aftershave. It's a demanding shave that quickly highlights any deficiencies in technique.

It occurred to me when I got my brush and bowl out that it would indeed be nice to have a food scale to measure the soap and water for the purposes of comparison and description, but it was too late for that, so off I went. I added my "normal" amount of soap and water to the bowl, set my timer for 60 seconds, and began to lather. The bubbles are large indeed. Based on every photograph you've ever seen of lather you would say that it was underdeveloped. Nevertheless, I have a great deal of faith in Grant, so I charged ahead.

I was surprised to find that the slickness did indeed seem much improved over prior brush lathering attempts. It wasn't at the level I've grown accustomed to with hand lathering, but it was much better my usual brush lather, and it was also my first attempt at the Minute Method. I don't doubt that dialing in the water/soap ratio & quantities will improve it significantly.

Pass one WTG went surprisingly well. It was noticeably slicker than my normal brush lather. I did notice that my skin was drying out between passes and that the second pass seemed noticeably less slick and smooth than the first. There was almost a "scratchy" feeling that was unfamiliar, and I don't think can be attributed to the newness of the blades.

When I hand lather, I use my left hand and basically "perma-lather". My left hand never stops face lathering throughout the entire shave and I add a few drops of water to my palm every 30 seconds. This ensures that no patch of skin is ever exposed to the air for more than a second and that my face & the lather remain fully hydrated.

At any rate, I decided to rinse off the 2nd pass lather altogether, and fully re-hydrate my face with a few splashes of cold water before re-lathering and resuming the shave. That seemed to improve things, and the second pass ATG went as smoothly as the first. For the second pass however, I changed my normal brush technique to mirror my hand technique of "perma-lathering". I kept the brush in my left hand, and would brush fresh lather over exposed skin as soon as the razor passed by. The third pass was fine from the get-go, with no need to splash my face with water between passes. I continued the perma-lather technique throught pass 3 to keep things slick and hydrated. All 3 passes yielded slightly more irritation than my usual shave, but not to an extent that the shave felt unpleasant.

The R41 came out for pass 4 and started out a bit scratchy. Mid-way through pass 4, I could tell it was not going well. I finished out the 4th pass but I could feel that there was significant irritation. The R41 is a funny little beast for me because it never feels particularly comfortable to me, even when it's shaving "well". Sometimes during the shave I envision the dozen weepers that will doubtless bloom with the aftershave, only to find no weepers at all. Like I said, it's a quirky razor. This time was something different though and was materially more irritating than I am accustomed to. The TeckII is forgiving, the R41 is not. I decided that discretion was the better part of valor, and finished passes 5 (ATG) and pass 6 (XTG) with the TeckII. The final passes were less enjoyable than I am accustomed to.

My post-shave is a homemade concoction that I have nicknamed "Afterburn". It's basically a liquid litmus test for shave quality. If there is even the slightest nick, Afterburn will light it up like napalm. The recipe is 1 cup 91% isopropyl alchohol, 1 cup witch hazel (which itself is 14% alcohol), and 2 tsp clove essential oil. The clove essential oil is basically the mirror image of menthol. There is a delayed reaction but rather than a cooling sensation that slowly builds to a crescendo, it creates a heat sensation that builds to a spectacular & fiery finish before slowly fading away. Clove essential oil is also one of the most potent antibacterials known to man. Pharmaceutical companies have filed dozens of patents using it in just the last few years alone. Put succinctly, it burns like fire for 60 seconds, kills all the wee beasties, and fades out to nothing in about 60 more seconds, unless of course you have a nick. If you have a nick, the sensation is something that is both hard to describe, and completely unforgettable.

Suffice to say, after applying my homemade concoction, I'm unable to to accurately report much of anything other than that the face staring at me in the mirror had a very peculiar expression before the world faded to darkness. Kidding of course, but it truly was a "Home Alone" aftershave moment. I'm not sure which stage of the shave caused the irritation (possibly all of them), but I'm sure that pass 4 didn't help. I did indeed have a half-dozen small weepers, which hasn't happened to me since my first experiments with the Fatip Piccolo.

So my results were mixed, but I think positive over-all. I never would have attempted my 6 pass Saturday shave with my normal brush lather. The first 3 passes with the Minute Method lather were sufficiently confidence inspiring that I felt comfortable giving it a go. Which is to say it's the best lather I've made with a brush. And in fairness, a 6 pass shave is asking an awful lot of any lather.

I'm sufficiently impressed that I'm going to bring my food scale, a syringe, and some distilled water up to the shave den and experiment some more. Maybe I can dial the lather in a bit and finally learn to shave properly with a bowl and a brush.

Awesome report, Nick! Thanks! I wish that I'd tried Cella by now so that I'd have an optimum water-to-soap ratio and lather-building time for you. Next time, when you measure mass, try a water-to-soap ratio of 10. That's a good starting point. Congratulations on the success with a brush lather. A minute of building lather seemed to be an improvement, which is great to hear. It's possible that 45 seconds or 30 seconds might work better. Remember, there is no fixed best time. We all build lather at different paces, for one thing. Also, one minute might be best for one soap, and then not an optimum for another. For AOS shaving cream, 45 seconds seemed to work best for me. Currently, I'm finishing up evaluating Declaration Grooming (formerly L&L Grooming). 60 seconds worked fine, and 45 seconds seemed to yield similar results, but with slightly more dense lather. Tomorrow morning, I'll try 30 seconds with slightly more soap and water, expecting more dense lather again. I'm not sure what the optimum time is yet for this soap, and there might not be much of a difference in the time zone that I'm looking at, but it takes about 20 seconds at the optimum water-to-soap ratio for all of this soap to get incorporated, so 30 seconds is the lowest time that I'll test with it.

One of the things that just occurred to me is that when I shave, I make an effort to minimize the time between getting out of the shower and shaving so that my skin is still fully hydrated when I start to lather. I set up my razor and soap on the sink so I can be shaving 30 seconds after I get out of the shower.

It someone spends 3-4 minutes making lather after getting out of the shower, it seems like their face and whisker would be completely dry by the time the lather went on. Maybe that has something to do with it? Starting with completely saturated/hydrated skin and whiskers because neither one drys out in 60 seconds of lathering?

Just a thought.

You could have a point there. Skin and stubble hydration matters.

Awesome report, Nick! Thanks! I wish that I'd tried Cella by now so that I'd have an optimum water-to-soap ratio and lather-building time for you. Next time, when you measure mass, try a water-to-soap ratio of 10. That's a good starting point. Congratulations on the success with a brush lather. A minute of building lather seemed to be an improvement, which is great to hear. It's possible that 45 seconds or 30 seconds might work better. Remember, there is no fixed best time. We all build lather at different paces, for one thing. Also, one minute might be best for one soap, and then not an optimum for another. For AOS shaving cream, 45 seconds seemed to work best for me. Currently, I'm finishing up evaluating Declaration Grooming (formerly L&L Grooming). 60 seconds worked fine, and 45 seconds seemed to yield similar results, but with slightly more dense lather. Tomorrow morning, I'll try 30 seconds with slightly more soap and water, expecting more dense lather again. I'm not sure what the optimum time is yet for this soap, and there might not be much of a difference in the time zone that I'm looking at, but it takes about 20 seconds at the optimum water-to-soap ratio for all of this soap to get incorporated, so 30 seconds is the lowest time that I'll test with it.

I was just kidding about the Minute Method™ of course.:001_tongu I know you never said that all folks should use exactly one minute for all soaps. I just thought it was a catchy name that simply communicates the idea that good lather can be made in about a minute rather than the 5 minutes many people have grown accustomed to.

My first experiment with it was really very positive. A 6 pass shave incorporating a R41 is something that I find difficult even under the best of circumstances. Sometimes it goes sideways just because I haven't had my coffee yet. I've never attempted it with brush lather before. I figured if I could even come close to pulling it off with brush lather using your method, you're probably on to something.

Too bad about the Cella; I was hoping you might have some data for it. If you haven't tried it yet you really should. It's amazing stuff. It's the only soap I own that can be applied once and has enough residual slickness to carry through a 6 pass hand lathered shave. Not even Grooming Dept soap can manage that. With every other soap I own, I have to re-lather after pass 3.

Currently in the den I have the soaps below. If you've tried any of these, I'd be keen to hear your recommended weights. Otherwise, I'll carry on with the recommend 10:1 ratio.
  • Cella
  • Grooming Dept Tacit
  • Haslinger Schafmilch
  • Wholly Kaw: Man From Mayfair (DM)
  • Wholly Kaw: Monaco Royale
  • Tallow & Steel: West Indies
  • Tallow & Steel: Maya
  • Proraso White (soap)
  • Arko
  • Proraso Red (cream)
  • Cremo Creme
  • RR XXX
  • RR Amici

I was just kidding about the Minute Method™ of course.:001_tongu I know you never said that all folks should use exactly one minute for all soaps. I just thought it was a catchy name that simply communicates the idea that good lather can be made in about a minute rather than the 5 minutes many people have grown accustomed to.

My first experiment with it was really very positive. A 6 pass shave incorporating a R41 is something that I find difficult even under the best of circumstances. Sometimes it goes sideways just because I haven't had my coffee yet. I've never attempted it with brush lather before. I figured if I could even come close to pulling it off with brush lather using your method, you're probably on to something.

Too bad about the Cella; I was hoping you might have some data for it. If you haven't tried it yet you really should. It's amazing stuff. It's the only soap I own that can be applied once and has enough residual slickness to carry through a 6 pass hand lathered shave. Not even Grooming Dept soap can manage that. With every other soap I own, I have to re-lather after pass 3.

Currently in the den I have the soaps below. If you've tried any of these, I'd be keen to hear your recommended weights. Otherwise, I'll carry on with the recommend 10:1 ratio.
  • Cella
  • Grooming Dept Tacit
  • Haslinger Schafmilch
  • Wholly Kaw: Man From Mayfair (DM)
  • Wholly Kaw: Monaco Royale
  • Tallow & Steel: West Indies
  • Tallow & Steel: Maya
  • Proraso White (soap)
  • Arko
  • Proraso Red (cream)
  • Cremo Creme
  • RR XXX
  • RR Amici

Nick, when I saw that you came up with "Minute Method", I smiled, liked it, and didn't like it at the same time. It's catchy. TOO catchy. :001_tongu Maybe that will stick as a subset of the general idea. If it helps others try cutting down their lathering-building times, then I'd be happy with that. Maybe we'll come up with a more precise name for optimizing lather-building time, which generally involves minimizing it. I'm drawing a blank. Your catchy phrase is the best so far. Thanks. :001_smile

I'm so glad that your first experiment was a success. I really appreciate your help and feedback. This is a great effort here that I hope continues for some time. Wouldn't it be something if this thread starts a wave of knowledge and experimentation about cutting down lather times and making slicker lathers?

I wish that I could give you my optimized water-to-soap ratio (and lather-building time) for any one of those soaps, but I haven't tried any of them yet. Some of those are on my list. The best that I can say is to start with water:soap at about 10:1 and then maybe try ratios of 7 and 13 and take it from there. If 10 was okay, but 7 worked better, then you're on the right track. The optimum could then be between 7 and 10 or even less than 7. That's just one example.

Let us know how your next experiment goes! :biggrin1:

I've been thinking about it a bit. I worked out a thought experiment to help me visualize what happens when lather is made. Let me know what you think.

Lets assume that the same brand of soap is used at the same concentration & quantity.
Test lathers of different duration are made with it & with different brushes, as well as by hand.
The lather leaves a film of soapy water on the surface of the skin. Tiny bubbles of soapy water (the lather) lie on the surface of this film. They act as a cushion.
All other things being equal,
More air will be incorporated in lather if the brush is used for a longer time. Additionally the tiny soap bubbles that make up lather become smaller the longer the brush is plied, & the bubble walls also get thinner. The soapy water layer on the skin gets thinner as more of it is used to make lather.
A brush made of fine hair will make smaller bubbles faster, & so damage the slick lubricating soapy water film quicker. If no brush is used (lather is made by hand), the soapy water film will be almost undamaged & will approach its maximum theoretical thickness & slickness (lubricity).

Sent from my #!@☆¤¿ phone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've been thinking about it a bit. I worked out a thought experiment to help me visualize what happens when lather is made. Let me know what you think.

Lets assume that the same brand of soap is used at the same concentration & quantity.
Test lathers of different duration are made with it & with different brushes, as well as by hand.
The lather leaves a film of soapy water on the surface of the skin. Tiny bubbles of soapy water (the lather) lie on the surface of this film. They act as a cushion.
All other things being equal,
More air will be incorporated in lather if the brush is used for a longer time. Additionally the tiny soap bubbles that make up lather become smaller the longer the brush is plied, & the bubble walls also get thinner. The soapy water layer on the skin gets thinner as more of it is used to make lather.
A brush made of fine hair will make smaller bubbles faster, & so damage the slick lubricating soapy water film quicker. If no brush is used (lather is made by hand), the soapy water film will be almost undamaged & will approach its maximum theoretical thickness & slickness (lubricity).

You might have something there about a soapy water layer on the skin getting thinner as more time is used to build a lather that has smaller and more numerous bubbles. I don't know. My best guess is that with more lather-building time, with more bubbles that are smaller, you end up with more bubble surface contact with the skin, which results in more interfacial/surface tension and less slickness. We might be talking about the same thing but in two different ways. What do you think?

Is all lather bubbles? Lather is certainly created with aeration.

I would think larger bubbles create a less stable lubrication layer while finer, more compacted bubbles create a more stable layer of lubrication because there is more soap product within a surface area. The only reason tension might increase is because of loss of water with longer lather building time?

Just thoughts.

Is it possible for you to do two daily shaves in a row with the same lather ingredients, as best as you can be consistent, with only a difference in the amount of lather-building time?

Well, yes, mostly . . .

Results
Inconclusive, though leaning against Grant's hypothesis. But see Discussion, below.

Method
First shave, 1/4 tsp (volume, pressed) of soap, and 1-1/4 tsp water. Agitated to the consistency I currently prefer (just past visible bubbles, thin but not runny). Agitation time: 1 min 50 sec. (Longer than I would have thought.)

Second shave, 1/4 tsp (volume, pressed) of soap, and ultimately 2 tsp water. Agitated to the consistency I used to strive for for over a year (dense, smooth, like yogurt). Agitation time: 2 min 25 sec. (Shorter than I would have thought.)

Discussion
If I were a better man, I would repeat this experiment 5 or 6 more times - and find a way to control for the amount of water used - in order to get some more significant results. But I'm not (a better man).

test.jpg

I usually leave the brush fairly wet, and then as I work up the lather I dip my fingers in the basin and dribble water into the bowl as necessary. For this experiment, I wrang out the brush and gave it a few good shakes, then added water to the bowl with a measuring spoon 1/4 tsp at a time.

Normally (and in both of these tests), I have more soap in the bowl than I actually need. So when I got to the second test, and continued agitating past the point of the first test, it was simply impossible for me to get the lather I was looking for without adding more (significantly more) water.

The primary condition I was testing for was the amount of residual slickness on my face after rinsing after the first and second passes. I think this was slightly better with the second (denser, more agitated) lather.

The secondary condition I was testing for was the overall comfort and result of the shave. This was effectively a tie.

I am a firm supporter of the method of science. (Yes, for any who may have been incompletely educated, science is a method, not a result.) And I am an equally big supporter of Grant's efforts to quantify how and why shaving works the way it does. But I still think how wet a lather is is of greater import than how long it's been agitated - though I can't prove it.

More importantly, this attempt to be scientific, and my whole experience of traditional shaving, leads me to the conclusion that traditional shaving is at least as much an art as a science.

Wish I had helped more . . .

Is all lather bubbles? Lather is certainly created with aeration.

I would think larger bubbles create a less stable lubrication layer while finer, more compacted bubbles create a more stable layer of lubrication because there is more soap product within a surface area. The only reason tension might increase is because of loss of water with longer lather building time?

Just thoughts.

Water evaporation while building lather is only significant, in my experience, with long lather building times. Lather is a foam, having bubbles next to bubbles with the soapy water mixture in between. The greater number of smaller bubbles, the more interfacial tension there is in the lather and the more structure/cushion there is with the lather. That's my understanding, anyway. With any soap, one can build a lather with a higher water-to-soap ratio that has more structure but less slickness compared to a lather with a lower water-to-soap ratio that was built in less time.

TIME as a factor in building lather, which relates to the methods that we use to build lather, should be given much more consideration and discussion. I think that differences in time/agitation used to build lather explains a good amount of differences that we have about soaps and creams, and people aren't even aware of it. We're all aware of hydration level beause we can see and feel the soap/cream and water. It's common to see discussion and advice about using more/less water and more/less soap, but where is the discussion and advice about using more/less time to build one's lather? As far as I know, this is the first place to have that discussion, and I really appreciate it. :001_smile

Last edited:
Well, yes, mostly . . .

Results
Inconclusive, though leaning against Grant's hypothesis. But see Discussion, below.

Method
First shave, 1/4 tsp (volume, pressed) of soap, and 1-1/4 tsp water. Agitated to the consistency I currently prefer (just past visible bubbles, thin but not runny). Agitation time: 1 min 50 sec. (Longer than I would have thought.)

Second shave, 1/4 tsp (volume, pressed) of soap, and ultimately 2 tsp water. Agitated to the consistency I used to strive for for over a year (dense, smooth, like yogurt). Agitation time: 2 min 25 sec. (Shorter than I would have thought.)

Discussion
If I were a better man, I would repeat this experiment 5 or 6 more times - and find a way to control for the amount of water used - in order to get some more significant results. But I'm not (a better man).

View attachment 883187

I usually leave the brush fairly wet, and then as I work up the lather I dip my fingers in the basin and dribble water into the bowl as necessary. For this experiment, I wrang out the brush and gave it a few good shakes, then added water to the bowl with a measuring spoon 1/4 tsp at a time.

Normally (and in both of these tests), I have more soap in the bowl than I actually need. So when I got to the second test, and continued agitating past the point of the first test, it was simply impossible for me to get the lather I was looking for without adding more (significantly more) water.

The primary condition I was testing for was the amount of residual slickness on my face after rinsing after the first and second passes. I think this was slightly better with the second (denser, more agitated) lather.

The secondary condition I was testing for was the overall comfort and result of the shave. This was effectively a tie.

I am a firm supporter of the method of science. (Yes, for any who may have been incompletely educated, science is a method, not a result.) And I am an equally big supporter of Grant's efforts to quantify how and why shaving works the way it does. But I still think how wet a lather is is of greater import than how long it's been agitated - though I can't prove it.

More importantly, this attempt to be scientific, and my whole experience of traditional shaving, leads me to the conclusion that traditional shaving is at least as much an art as a science.

Wish I had helped more . . .

Thanks, Spike, for your detailed results. You've been helpful, buddy. :thumbup1: Your results are your results and I'm not here to discount them in any way. Actually, I think that your results make sense.

Even though the time difference was not very large, your second lather was built longer than your first and you ended up finding that the second lather's slickness was "slightly better". That means that there is a correlation between more lather-building time and more slickness with your two lathers, but we have to be careful not to confuse correlation with causation. Your second lather was seemingly made with more water. That could easily explain the results. Only controlled experiments with everything being the same except lather-building time can hone in on the effects of lather-building time. That's what the OP is based on. As you said, it's the scientific method. I get repeatable results with my measured lathers and consistent lathering process.

Your thinking is totally reasonable that lather hydration is more important than lather-building time. In general, I agree. In the OP, I wrote that lather-building time is "just as important" as hydration level. I probably should have written that it is "also important" without judging the degree of importance, which could be considered subjective. It's just that after controlled experimentation with shifts in slickness due to changes in lather-building time that sometimes mimicked shifts in slickness due to changes in water-to-soap ratio, I was excited to share my findings. Lather-building time is important and we should be aware it and find what works best for our individual lathering methods and equipment. That sounds good, right?

More and more smaller cells/bubbles results in more interfacial tension (similar to surface tension) within the lather between the cells/bubbles and the water-soap liquid phase. This increase in interfacial tension could be why lather built with more time is not as slick. It would seem that more interfacial/surface tension would correlate with less slickness. I don't know, though. This is only a guess.

I suspect that smaller cells/bubbles is what creates cushion. The more one works the brush, the more lather generated, the finer the lather, the greater the cushion, but the lesser the film of soapy water next to the skin & therefore, lesser the slickness...

You might have something there about a soapy water layer on the skin getting thinner as more time is used to build a lather that has smaller and more numerous bubbles. I don't know. My best guess is that with more lather-building time, with more bubbles that are smaller, you end up with more bubble surface contact with the skin, which results in more interfacial/surface tension and less slickness. We might be talking about the same thing but in two different ways. What do you think?
I think you're probably right.
I'm looking at a thick layer of soapy water film next to the skin as promoting or increasing the slickness. You're looking at an increasing number of micro bubbles next to the skin as reducing slickness. I see those micro bubbles eating into the layer of soapy water film as cannibalizing slickness. It's virtually the same thing, approached from different angles.

Last edited:
I suspect that smaller cells/bubbles is what creates cushion. The more one works the brush, the more lather generated, the finer the lather, the greater the cushion, but the lesser the film of soapy water next to the skin & therefore, lesser the slickness...

Smaller cells/bubbles due to more lather building creates more cushion. That's true. Also, maybe it causes less soapy water next to the skin. Maybe we'll have an answer to this question of mechanics someday. At least I'm convinced that more lather building decreases slickness, even if we don't know how exactly it works. Controlled experiments have proven the phenomenon to me over and over again. I can only hope that more of us experience it, too, and spread the word. :001_smile

Yes, I agree, it’s definitely a component. I am trying to imagine a better way of isolating it as a factor.

You did a great job with measuring the soap. A 1/4 teaspoon is a lot---about 1.1 g by my estimation---so I hear you about the large amount of soap, but at least it was constant. For using the same amount of water and making things simple, you could start with all of the water in the lathering bowl. How about 2 1/4 teaspoons or 2 1/2 teaspoons? Starting with a dry synthetic brush is important for keeping the water amount the same. Then, for each lather, start the timer and build each lather in the same manner except build one with significantly more time. How about building the first lather in 1 minute and the second lather in 2 minutes? Or, how about building the first lather in 1.5 minutes and the second lather in 3 minutes? What about 1 minute and 3 minutes? 2 minutes and 3 minutes? 2 minutes and 4 minutes? The options are endless! :001_rolle

So I gave this a shot, although not measuring soap or water. :001_huh:
I normally bowl lather to soft peaks (adding water probably 8-10 times, 3-4 minutes) and then spend a minute or two lathering on a wet face.

Last night I added water in larger increments (4 total) building the lather in the bowl for about 2 minutes. It appeared to be a tiny bit wetter than usual, but I was still happy with it's appearance. Lathered on my wet face for about 2 minutes (didn't want to stop - very enjoyable!).

Slickness seemed to be slightly better than normal for this soap base (new scent). The Ikon Tech with Red Personna (7) glided over my skin with ease. Not a significant difference, but slightly noticeable. Enough so, that I think I will continue to try to decrease my bowl time, primarily by adding water a bit quicker.

I used to do some cooking, and there are some batters that should not be mixed or beaten too long, as it can toughen the end product. Pancakes, pie crusts, etc. I suppose a "tough lather" is cushiony but not as slick... LOL

Ok, Grant, I will admit that bringing a little science into my shaving can be done without breaking out any measuring devices. :a14:

SOTD_051318.JPG

So I gave this a shot, although not measuring soap or water. :001_huh:
I normally bowl lather to soft peaks (adding water probably 8-10 times, 3-4 minutes) and then spend a minute or two lathering on a wet face.

Last night I added water in larger increments (4 total) building the lather in the bowl for about 2 minutes. It appeared to be a tiny bit wetter than usual, but I was still happy with it's appearance. Lathered on my wet face for about 2 minutes (didn't want to stop - very enjoyable!).

Slickness seemed to be slightly better than normal for this soap base (new scent). The Ikon Tech with Red Personna (7) glided over my skin with ease. Not a significant difference, but slightly noticeable. Enough so, that I think I will continue to try to decrease my bowl time, primarily by adding water a bit quicker.

I used to do some cooking, and there are some batters that should not be mixed or beaten too long, as it can toughen the end product. Pancakes, pie crusts, etc. I suppose a "tough lather" is cushiony but not as slick... LOL

Ok, Grant, I will admit that bringing a little science into my shaving can be done without breaking out any measuring devices. :a14:

View attachment 883315

That's great, @Jaidmaster! Thanks for the update. I'm glad (and not surprised) that less lathering time worked for you and made slicker lather. The more that you try it, and the more significant the differences in time between lathers, the more that you'll notice slickness (and cushion) differences.

Your analogy with batters is very good! Overmixing batter develops more gluten and makes the batter stiffer and tougher. I think that the gluten development with batter parallels the interfacial tension development with lather. More mixing of lather develops more smaller cells/bubbles, increasing the total cell/bubble surface area and interfacial tension in the lather that gets less slick, but stiffer. The cell/bubble surfaces in lather seem like the gluten in dough. :001_smile

Last edited:
I don’t think the baking analogy works. Because in baking water is a minor ingredient in what’s going on, whereas in leather making, water is a major ingredient if not one of the most important ingredients. Also in baking, there are other chemical reactions going on.

Top Bottom