What's new

Timah's journey into the shave world

proxy.php

First use of a couple of new YAQI products...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

proxy.php

Second use of the YAQI Mellon head razor. It’s a really nice, simple razor. A very good 2-pass shave (WTG/ATG). I think I learned something about blade angle when going ATG which was great.

It’s stupidly hot here already in Bris, so I can foresee the Proraso green getting a workout over the next few weeks.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
proxy.php

Second use of the YAQI Mellon head razor. It’s a really nice, simple razor. A very good 2-pass shave (WTG/ATG). I think I learned something about blade angle when going ATG which was great.

It’s stupidly hot here already in Bris, so I can foresee the Proraso green getting a workout over the next few weeks.

Proraso Green is a great soap. It has been crazy hot here as well. I might have to give it another go tomorrow morning.

A couple of ‘interesting’ shaves this last week or so.

Saturday shave:
Yaqi Mellon head w/ Astra SP
Yaqi mysterious space brush
Derby extra soap
Bluebeards Revenge after balm.

A really rough shave for some reason. But also a heap of sting from the soap. So, given I’m going to purchase more artisan soaps this year, this went in the bin. For $6 I didn’t mind too much.

The Mellon could be a great razor, but I’d like to know why I’m getting weepers regularly again. It’s kinda frustrating.

Today’s shave:
GameChanger.68 w/ Dorco Prime
APR Florian soap
Proraso Pro boar brush
The Stray Whisker after balm

Again, a frustrating shave. I really struggled with lather on my second and third passes. So much so I went back to the tub for my third pass. Which is really frustrating given how well the Synthetic brushes seem to work. Maybe the boar works best on certain soaps - namely the Proraso ones in my collection I guess. Again, more weepers than I’d like. I’m not sure the Dorco Prime pairs well with the game changer.

I’m actually looking forward to getting my 6c back in a week or so. I’ve only used the GC for the last 3 months pretty much.

proxy.php

First use of some Christmas goodies!

RazoRock GameChanger .68
Dorco Prime Platinum blade
Face Fat ‘Iced Slice’ shave soap
Yaqi Deep Space brush
The Stray Whisker After Balm
Australian Private Reserve ‘Fresca Intensa’ EDP

First use of both the soap and the EDP. The soap is great. Has a fantastic scent and feels great to use. It will take a few shaves to dial in the water, but it’s a great summer soap.

The Fresca Intensa is awesome. It’s just awesome. I can’t wait for the wife to come home and smell it.

I’m still not sold on the GC/Dorco combination. I’ll go back to the Derby Extra with the GC next shave and go from there. I should however get my Rockwell 6c back very soon which I’m looking forward to using.

Some mail arrived this morning:
proxy.php

Other than the Rockwell blades which I’ve used before, I’m looking forward to trying the rest.

Today’s shave:
proxy.php

First use of the GC84. There’s definitely a difference, how big of one will take a few shaves to work out. I certainly feel like I got a better ATG pass than with the GC68.

First use of a Nacet blade as well. I probably should have used an Astra as my benchmark but hey...

I definitely need to adjust my technique with the Face Fat. I can’t seem to get quite enough for a third pass. Maybe a bit more loading with a wetter brush.

And I’ve still got some Bluebeards Revenge Balm left. It pairs pretty well with the soap but I think I’ll aim to finish it off in the next few weeks.

First shave of the new year. I’d been away for a few days with the intention of shaving, but a few changes in plans meant that didn’t happen.

Anyway, back home and back with my Rockwell 6c in the lineup after almost three months without it.

proxy.php

It really is such a point and shoot razor. Plate 3 and it easily handled the few days growth.

I got a really good lather with the APR today. I’m looking forward to trying the same method with the Face Fat to see if I get a better result.

The B&M sample is ... nice? I’m not a morning shaver so the balm I use is still a winner. But it had a great scent. I’d need to use a bit more of it next time I think.

It was certainly interesting to use the 6c again after so long using the game changers. I’ll be interested to see how the Bolzano blade comes along in future shaves.

proxy.php

After a few days away at the beach it was nice to get rid of the stubble.

The Iced Slice/Bluebeards Revenge after balm combo is brilliant. My daughter came up, had a smell and declared the scent was ‘amazing’.

Third shave with the Bolzano blade and it seems to be going very well.

And finally, the 6c. How good is this razor. I got told to hurry up today, so it was only a two pass shave, but I went ATG on my neck and seemed to have significantly less irritation than if I did three? Maybe my neck area just doesn’t like too many passes. I’ll keep this razor and blade combo going until this blade wears out, then will try it in a GameChanger and see what the difference is.

So I’ve been a bit slack checking in here.

I’m nearly through the month using Bolzano blades. I’m really liking them. Not sure I need to get another 100 pack of blades though.
I’ve just changed my current blade (4 uses) from the Game Changer.68 into the .84 so will see what results that brings.

I’ve been focusing on using the same combo for a week (razor/blade/soap) which seems to be proving useful. It’s been good to learn how to get more consistent lathers out of each soap.

I’m really impressed with the Aussie soap makers - I’m glad I’ve committed to using them.
I’d really like to try and find an Aussie brush and razor maker but sadly there seems to be very few of them.

Having said all that, I’m working hard on exercising restraint and not going overboard with any purchases. Not quite a full sabbatical, just being...picky?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
@timah083, there is a seller on the bay that is selling new DE razors out of Cooma N.S.W. I am not sure if the razors are made here in Australia but the price in not too bad.

proxy.php

Posting this update mainly cos I played around with the photo a bit more than usual and I think it turned out alright!

I feel like my ATG is getting much better. Still plenty of room for improvement, but certainly a nice feeling. The wife is happy with the results anyway!

Just saw this thread for the first time...I love these kinds of threads. It's really fun to watch someone's shave journey unfold over time! So, I have ask...you're a year in now. If you could go back to last January, what advice would you give to the beginner you? What (if anything) would you do differently?

Awesome stuff, and congrats on a full year (plus a few weeks) of shaving, from one 35 year old named Tim to another!:001_tongu

Just saw this thread for the first time...I love these kinds of threads. It's really fun to watch someone's shave journey unfold over time! So, I have ask...you're a year in now. If you could go back to last January, what advice would you give to the beginner you? What (if anything) would you do differently?

Awesome stuff, and congrats on a full year (plus a few weeks) of shaving, from one 35 year old named Tim to another!:001_tongu

Hey Tim!
Thanks for taking the time to read it.
It’s an interesting question - what advice would I give my younger self?

I tend to have a bit of an addictive personality- so the biggest thing would be to not caught up in the trap of ‘new shiny’. I probably didn’t need to buy the GameChanger razors, especially given how good the Rockwell is.

Likewise, I probably didn’t need to buy as many blades as I did. I’ve got years worth now.

I’d probably suggest skipping to a Synthetic brush early on. The two I have so far are brilliant.

Other than that, watch plenty of videos and take my time to learn more.

But it’s been a great experience so far, and I’m looking forward to being more selective in my choices and exercise more restraint in my purchases.

proxy.php

Just a very simple single pass shave today. I wanted to tidy up some of the scruffiness, even though I only have plans to be a homebody with the kids.

proxy.php

Just a very simple single pass shave today. I wanted to tidy up some of the scruffiness, even though I only have plans to be a homebody with the kids.

Sometimes these simple 1 pass shaves can beat the normal workday shave I find.

Top Bottom