What's new

Tim Zowada has inspired me

There is no denying a meteorite damascus blade is just flat out cool.
Well, I have a sample of iron meteorite and the type of printing I do is iron based--see where this is going?
The last launch at Cape Kennedy is coming up. I'm rendering the meteorite I have into one of the components I need for making prints. I'm going to take images of the last rocket to ever launch at the Cape and make prints of it out of a meteorite.

Tim, I don't know if you read this board but thank you for sparking the idea for me.

Allen,

That does sound like a great idea. I don't think I would have never thought of using the iron in a Meteorite for printing. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Tim Z.

Thanks, Tim.

Like all things, ideas on paper are easier than in practice.
proxy.php

My meteorite.
First step is to convert it into Iron(III). Basically it is the scale produced when Tim forges a blade. The experiment begins.

For the record, I dub this, The Shoemaker Process.

Shoemaker print: (n.) A photograph printed with meteoritic iron.

Last edited:
proxy.php

First attempt using chemicals I synthesized.
The chemistry used in cyanotypes is iron based. The iron in this print came from an old nail I found in the barn.

The project moves forward.

I don't have any idea either what is going on, but that picture is sweet.
I'll have to do more research into the process

But definitely keep it up that is awesome

I don't have any idea either what is going on, but that picture is sweet.
I'll have to do more research into the process

But definitely keep it up that is awesome
I am an alternative process photographer. Rather than buy my chemicals from a photography supply house I'm synthesizing them from scratch. The types of prints I make use iron based chemistry. For my source of iron I'm using meteorites. The cyanotype of the mums was my proof of concept attempt. I used a nail because it was free and meteorite samples cost more than silver per gram.
For a long time I have been collecting water from the area I originally capture my images to tie the print directly to the scene. Not only do my photographs capture a scene they are made from that scene.
I came about the idea of creating prints made of meteorite when I discovered Tim's meteorite damascus razors.

To my knowledge I am the only one making prints from meteorite. I've dubbed the process, Shoemaker printing, in honor of Gene and Carolyn Shoemaker.

Last edited:
I am an alternative process photographer. Rather than buy my chemicals from a photography supply house I'm synthesizing them from scratch. The types of prints I make use iron based chemistry. For my source of iron I'm using meteorites. The cyanotype of the mums was my proof of concept attempt. I used a nail because it was free and meteorite samples cost more than silver per gram.
For a long time I have been collecting water from the area I originally capture my images to tie the print directly to the scene. Not only do my photographs capture a scene they are made from that scene.
I came about the idea of creating prints made of meteorite when I discovered Tim's meteorite damascus razors.

To my knowledge I am the only one making prints from meteorite. I've dubbed the process, Shoemaker printing, in honor of Gene and Carolyn Shoemaker.

This is without question one of the greatest photography projects I've come across. I do wet darkroom work and therefore have some idea of what you're doing. To say I'm impressed doesn't even begin to describe it. Than you very much indeed for sharing your work. Subscribed.

This is without question one of the greatest photography projects I've come across. I do wet darkroom work and therefore have some idea of what you're doing. To say I'm impressed doesn't even begin to describe it. Than you very much indeed for sharing your work. Subscribed.
Thank you. That's incredibly kind.

Fresh from the print washer
proxy.php

Shoemaker test print-1

This is a kind of Kallitype print called a VanDyke. It is an Iron/Silver print.
The silver came from this US Silver Eagle, and the iron is from the meteorite on the right.
proxy.php

The meteorite is a Campo del Cielo meteorite that fell 4000-5000 years ago in Argentina.

Allen,

That's great! I was wondering if the Nickel in the meteorite makes things tricky? I was also wondering if you could use magnatite and hematite tand for a source of iron? That is what I make my Michi-gane (Tamahagane) from.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with next!

Tim Z.

Allen,

That's great! I was wondering if the Nickel in the meteorite makes things tricky? I was also wondering if you could use magnatite and hematite tand for a source of iron? That is what I make my Michi-gane (Tamahagane) from.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with next!

Tim Z.
This sensitizer is a bit slower than my normal VanDyke sensitizer and there is some streaking that is not normally present. That may be caused by nickel and other contaminates; I'm not sure yet.

Once I am satisfied that I can get a consistently good image from this sensitizer I'm going to use a rare earth magnet to sift 10 or so grams of ferric material from the sand at the beach where I live and try the same process with that.

Top Bottom