What's new

Tim Horton's Coffee - Canadian Cultural Learnings.

A Doughnut shop that doesn't have good doughnuts, it not good business plan.

You wouldnt say that if you seen the lines in these places(if your talking about timmy hoes), its unreal. Were I live which is not big at all we have 3 timmys within 4 miles of each. Timmys is so cocky were I live that they just put what they call quick timmies right next to a Dunking doughnuts(basically the only thing that separates the two places is a two foot of grass). This place is about half the size of a regular timmys and literlly within a half mile of a normal tim hortons.

What I find cool about the place is I believe this was started by an ex Canadian hockey player. He must of made a ton more selling coffee then he has as a player. Can the Canadian brothers confirm this? Also by the way I dont drink coffee I hate the stuff, but my lady will wait in line for this place forever.

$Tim-Horton.jpg

$tim-horton-rookie-card-back2.jpg

Attachments

• $Tim-Horton-Penguins.jpg
    $Tim-Horton-Penguins.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 71
​From the ever reliable Wikipedia,

The chain's first store opened in 1964 in Hamilton, Ontario, under the name "Tim Horton Donuts"; the name was later abbreviated to "Tim Horton's" and then changed to "Tim Hortons" without the possessive apostrophe. The business was founded by Tim Horton, who played in the National Hockey League from 1949 until his death in a car accident in 1974.[SUP][22][/SUP]
Soon after Horton opened the store, he met Ron Joyce, a former Hamilton police constable. In 1965, Joyce took over the fledgling Tim Horton Donut Shop on Ottawa Street North in Hamilton. By 1967, after he had opened up two more stores, he and Tim Horton became full partners in the business. Upon Horton's death in 1974, Joyce bought out the Horton family's shares for $1 million and took over as sole owner of the existing chain of forty stores. Joyce expanded the chain quickly and aggressively in geography and in product selection, opening the 500th store in 1991.[SUP][23][/SUP]
Ron Joyce's aggressive expansion of the Tim Hortons business resulted in one major change in the coffee and doughnut restaurant market: Canada's per-capita ratio of doughnut shops surpassed those of all other countries.[SUP][24][/SUP]

For once, a wiki article has it pretty well spot on.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
​... Upon Horton's death in 1974, Joyce bought out the Horton family's shares for $1 million and took over as sole owner ...

Okay, it was only 40 stores then, and a buck was worth a lot more, but still ...

... selling a half-share in all of Tim Hortons for [DrEvil] ... one ... million ... dollars! [\DrEvil] ranks right up there with the first real estate deal in Manhattan.

Sorry,I guess I am in the minority as well here.. I don't get the hype ...mediocre at best.And I do like my coffee in the morning.

I used to drink Tim's all the time, but gave it up shortly after they introduced bagels and the like.

It's unfortunate, but they lost my business due to accepting ANY type of order at the drive-thru. Now people can order a bagel for themselves, and their half a dozen co-workers. Unless Tim's implements a new policy that only pre-prepared foods are allowed at the Drive-Thru, I prefer to just have my coffee at home.

You want a muffin? Great! You want it cut and buttered...park it and come inside!

It'll never happen, but they'll also never get my money until it does. :001_smile

Last edited:
I am well indoctrinated into the Timmie's culture by way of my lovely lady. It isn't just coffee in Canada, its a religion. It is much better than Dunkin' in my opinion. I thought this thread might be about the fact they are changing their cup sizes, to add a larger size. One of the first things I do when I cross the border and escape Quebec is find a Tim's. I'm fairly addicted to their coffee and the cheese tea biscuits.

Top Bottom