What's new

Tim Horton's Coffee - Canadian Cultural Learnings.

LOL! My wife LOVES the place, me … yeah not so much. It’s a source of contention between us. :wink2:

Back when I lived in Canada, I really tried to “like” it. I guess because of SWMBO and also because well, everyone else liked it so much. But because everyone and their brother liked it so much, there were always such huge lines! So I started going elsewhere. I found Coffee Time, and actually like their coffee better and the best part is - it’s just as Canadian as Tim’s.

I like Tim Horton's... Almost wish it wasn't as Canadian of an institution so I could get more of it (although then I guess it would lose its appeal?)... Only times I've had it is on trips up to Toronto to visit my cousins. Where I live, unfortunately, is completely dominated by Dunkin Donuts :angry:. No less than 7 within a mile radius of each other.

- ice

This stuff sells like crack in WNY, everyone I know that drinks it says its the best around.

Hayden, I totally relate. Here in Buffalo there are two "Timmy Ho's" for every one other coffee shop.

There used to be a Tim Hortons here in Kandahar. It was absolutely the BEST coffee here. Unfortunately when the Canadians left Kandahar, they took their beloved Timmy Hos with them. It is missed greatly by many here.

We love Tim's in Detroit.

Whoooaa! Tim Hortons Really is a reliable place to get a coffee most anywhere in Canada. I had no idea that the name crossed the border though, it is nice to hear about a Canadian staple being recognized elsewhere. It is not the best place we have, but it sure is the most popular (more outlets in Canada than McDonalds!).

I like Tim Horton's... Almost wish it wasn't as Canadian of an institution so I could get more of it (although then I guess it would lose its appeal?)... Only times I've had it is on trips up to Toronto to visit my cousins. Where I live, unfortunately, is completely dominated by Dunkin Donuts :angry:. No less than 7 within a mile radius of each other.

- ice

Your part of CT didn't have one?
I remember when my area had a few Tim Hortons. They didn't do well. The one in my town went out of biz rather quickly.

All the Dunkin Donuts outlets in Penn Station in NYC switched over to Tim Horton's over a year ago. They seem to be doing good business. So far I've managed to resist.

My wife recently learned of Tim Horton's when she read some character in a book talking about it. She immediately tracked down some Tim Horton's grinds on Amazon and is anxiously awaiting her trial of this coffee... I'll have to check in once I've gotten a taste...

i found tim hortons driving truck across ontario.great coffee and food as well.seems to me like they had cookies too but it may have been a shop next door?

Never been to one...I remember I was in Calgary once and there was a plethora of them. Is Tim Hortons like a Dunkin Donuts or is it more like a sit down diner place(like Dennys)?

I found Coffee Time, and actually like their coffee better and the best part is - it’s just as Canadian as Tim’s.

I LOVE Coffee Time! The one closest to me is owned by a Korean family and it is one of the cleanest, friendliest establishments I've ever had the privilege of patronizing. The regular coffee is fine, at least as good as Timmies IMHO. I must say, though, that I like the French Vanilla at Timmies and I'm not much of a flavored coffee guy. In fact, I typically drink mine black, even at SBUX. The donuts for me at Timmies are meh, but I must say that I am convinced that the coffee in the shops north of the border is much better than what we get at the shops here in the States. And the donuts here are worse than meh.

Cheers!
-Greg

For a truly great experience, go into Tim's EARLY in the morning, probably around 4, right after they bring out the baked goods for the day. Nothing like a fresh bagel and some coffee to start the morning.

I LOVE Coffee Time! The one closest to me is owned by a Korean family and it is one of the cleanest, friendliest establishments I've ever had the privilege of patronizing. The regular coffee is fine, at least as good as Timmies IMHO. I must say, though, that I like the French Vanilla at Timmies and I'm not much of a flavored coffee guy. In fact, I typically drink mine black, even at SBUX. The donuts for me at Timmies are meh, but I must say that I am convinced that the coffee in the shops north of the border is much better than what we get at the shops here in the States. And the donuts here are worse than meh.

Cheers!
-Greg
Yeah, me: not so much. The last time I went to a coffee time was before the smoking ban and it smelled like a wet ashtray. I've never been back.

Leaving the yard every morning the first stop is for diesel and the Country Style shop. Even if the truck is fully fueled:wink2:.
I still prefer a timmies, but Country Style is quite acceptable.

I drink my coffee black and think Timmy's is very average at best - so I usually add some milk or cream when I do drink it. The one good thing about Timmy's is that its very consistent - so I do drink it when I'm on the road.

I agree with Doc about the doughnuts not being fresh any more - really a shame that Canadian kids won't grow up knowing what a fresh doughunt tastes like.

I drink my coffee black and think Timmy's is very average at best - so I usually add some milk or cream when I do drink it. The one good thing about Timmy's is that its very consistent - so I do drink it when I'm on the road.

I agree with Doc about the doughnuts not being fresh any more - really a shame that Canadian kids won't grow up knowing what a fresh doughunt tastes like.
I'm fortunate to have a small bakery in my area, they make the best donuts. Most kids won't know what anything good tastes like before long with the health food this and that, much of which isn't any healthier...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
... really a shame that Canadian kids won't grow up knowing what a fresh doughunt tastes like.

My brother's name is Doug ... I hope he never moves to Ontario. :scared:

I'm fortunate to have a small bakery in my area, they make the best donuts. ...

A month ago, someone brought in some Timmies doughnuts to the office ... and then someone else brought in some real doughnuts from the real bakery around the corner. I had one of the Timmy versions ("not bad", thought I at the time) and then a real one, which absolutely blew the Timmies out of the water.

Quoth Mom+Pop to the Big Chain ... "anything you can do, I can do better. I can do anything better than you."

Top Bottom