What's new

Tim Horton's Coffee - Canadian Cultural Learnings.

As my Canadian brethren already know, Tim Horton's coffee is a national institution. So, I decided to make a thread for those out there who love Tim Horton's coffee to check in and share some stories.

Personally, Tim Horton's has been a staple of my upbringing, and many a night has provided a warm refuge from the bitterly cold Canadian winter. I think for most Canadians, Tim's holds a very fond place in the heart, I know it does for me.

Cheers all.

Hayden, I totally relate. Here in Buffalo there are two "Timmy Ho's" for every one other coffee shop. It's hard not to get hooked. There is one in a Mobil station less than 1/4 mile from my current job site, so we go there every morning for our coffee break. Hard not to get hooked. I don't know if it's the best, but it sure as hell beats that acidic sludge Dunkin Donuts pumps out.

They tried to have a Dunkin Donuts in my town once. It lasted for a couple years, but when you are competing against 7 Tim Horton's, you don't really have much of a chance.

I don't drink coffee but I do wish they'd go back to making fresh donuts. I remember as a kid nothing could beat thier chocolate dipped donuts...

I do love me some timmy's. I work in a rural community in the Yukon which has strict heratage rules so franchises are not allowed. I go up for 5 weeks at a time and I tell you when we have cold and I mean COLD (-41C so far this winter) days I crave a tim hortons coffee so bad. Its usually the first place I hit in Vancouver Airport omw home

Yeah, there truly is nothing like the feeling of a fresh Double Double on a frigid winter day.

i'v tried to like their coffee but i just cant. i admit i like their iced cap's
and when they did that little stint into espresso like 5-6 years ago i actually enjoyed that. their tea is good too.

their late/cappuccino's are horrible unless they have recently started making proper ones with real milk and coffee not with powder.

i admit timmy's popularity is good for Canada economically i like some of their stuff but their coffee isen't what brings me there when im in an area that has one.

There used to be a Tim Hortons here in Kandahar. It was absolutely the BEST coffee here. Unfortunately when the Canadians left Kandahar, they took their beloved Timmy Hos with them. It is missed greatly by many here.

Tim's is reliable and solid, which is very Canadian, but the coffee is only mediocre for me. I will take Tim's over a lot of places, but Second Cup, Lettieri, or even Starbucks will get my business more often. That said, when you're on the road and want a decent coffee, you can't go wrong with a Timmy's.

We love Tim's in Detroit. My daughter's first job was there. It reminds of our closeness with Canada along the border. It also reminds us how crossing our friendly boarder has become much more difficult since 9/11, which saddens and annoys many of us....

It's refreshing to see so much love for Tim's here. I love getting the tea there, it just feels like home or something. Tea and an apple fritter, the ultimate Canadian comfort food.

:confused1 What are heritage rules? Are only franchises outlawed or any new enterprises? I'm not trying to be smart-alec. I just don't understand.

Basically no chains, no franchises, only locally owned businesses allowed.
I'm guessing John works on some kind of reservation or for a Native tribe, and they're protecting their indigenous culture by re-investing profits into the local community instead of letting outside chains roll in and take over.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I am kind of "meh" about Timmies. As with so many other Canadian "institutions", it seems to be a case of "it's all we got in town, so we might as well wax nostalgic about it and say it's an essential part of our national heritage" sort of thing. Canadian Tire Money, anyone? That's not to say that we haven't all eaten the Timbits from time to time and drunk the coffee (btw, I take my coffee black, so never have had a double double ... but I have rolled up the rim and won ... another coffee.) The coffee isn't bad for "regular coffee" ... beats Starbucks IMHO ... and the doughnuts are decent (used to be better) ... beyond that their attempts at "real food" are pretty sad.

I'm guessing John works on some kind of reservation or for a Native tribe, and they're protecting their indigenous culture by re-investing profits into the local community instead of letting outside chains roll in and take over.

Either that or he works in the hinterland around Dawson City ... perhaps they don't want to ruin the "1898 gold rush town" vibe with all the tourists rushing to the gold--en arches.

I've never really gotten the Tim Horton's coffee. Whenever I'm in Canada for work I hear that it's the greatest coffee, but I haven't been impressed.

I think it is mainly because it is so ingrained in Canadian culture, Canadians may tend to elevate it on a pedestal. However, I still prefer it as my coffee of choice, especially when I make it myself at home.

Top Bottom