What's new

TIL That Real SRs are Different

So after using shavetts, including the Feather AC SS I figured that I had a good idea of what it was like to shave with a real SR, but today I learned (TIL) that it's not really so straightforward. I used a Dovo Bizmark that I finished myself, 😁 but I soon found that the 6/8" blade was a lot less agile than my AC, and the blade is also 1/2" longer so it took a bit of adjustment in tight areas. Also, the full hollow grind is more flexible than I'm used to so controlling the angle while sliding the blade along my skin was a bit tricky. Not to mention I was using Pro Guard blades and that the AC SS has some design points that make it harder to cut yourself.

It was certainly an eye-opening experience but I'm really looking forward to perfecting my SR technique.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Good to hear. Traditional SR's are similar but different to replaceable blade SR's. Keep on shaving and learning. It will soon start coming together for you.

Thanks, it was a smooth enough shave for the most part, but just took a bit of patience and figuring out the difference. I think I'll get comfortable in 2 or 3 more shaves and then I'll really start learning the art.

So second shave today and it was easier now that I'm a little more familiar. I reopened one of the moles and took a small weeper under the chin, but other than that it was pretty smooth sailing. I'm still scrapping and/or pressing too much on some of my strokes so I got a bit more irritation than I'm used to with the Feather AC SS, but it was just a tad bit of irritation so I think I'm getting the technique down a bit better.

Looking forward to trying out my Spartacus soon!

Today was an interesting day. I had no issue with my cheeks, but I rushed a bit on the neck and took a couple of weeps on both passes. I was about to pack it in thinking it was a bad day then I figured that if I didn't try to do a good solid pass I might have a bad shave tomorrow, or give up for a while, and neither of these sounded good. So I picked up my razor for a third, WTG, pass on the neck only and was very careful to stop and set my angles each time.

Success! The third pass was smooth and uneventful and was my best neck pass with this razor. I even did a fourth pass to clean up the bottom of my neck, which had been a problem spot with this razor.

Persistence and patience are definitely the key ingredients.

Last edited:
If you are not already doing it, consider finishing your SR edge off on diamond pasted balsa strops.

Thanks, this has come up a lot and I'm looking forward to trying it, but I'm waiting for the lockdown to end, hopefully, next week, so I can go get the supplies. I do have the 3 diamond pastes in the mail right now and they should be here next week. After that, I should be able to get the balsa strips and a substrate from a local craft store.

Top Bottom