What's new

Tikka T3 lite ammo

Hi all, hope everyone is doing well. I have just recently purchased a second hand Tikka T3 lite 223 and it came with many rounds for me to use. Some new and some reloaded. But one bag was some new Horrady Match Case rounds. These have a case that is an army green color, and I believe they are a steel case. My question is, are these safe to use? Cause the manual for the gun clearly states "DO NOT " use steel case rounds as they can cause damage. The manual also recommends not to use reloaded rounds, but this is not a bold "DO NOT ". Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Peter.

Those sound like steel cases, so proceed accordingly. Unless you know and trust the person who assembled those reloads I suggest you pull the bullets and reuse the components, if you reload. I won't use reloads of unknown origin.

Thanks for the quick response, I do trust who I purchased the firearm from so I think the reloads should be fine, but I am just not sure about the steel case rounds. But as you say, I think I will proceed accordingly and not use them. Thanks. Peter.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Thanks for the quick response, I do trust who I purchased the firearm from so I think the reloads should be fine, but I am just not sure about the steel case rounds. But as you say, I think I will proceed accordingly and not use them. Thanks. Peter.

I'm kinda perplexed to the mention of not using steel cased rounds. I understand why semi auto rifles suggest not too. It's because alot of the cheap Russian stuff will coat their bullets in lacquer which then heats up in the chambers and can get the lacquer in the chambers and receiver. when this lacquer cools down, it can gum up the works pretty hard. But that's usually meant for semi's who dump alot of rounds down range. Steel casing can be hard on semi's extractors as well, but AR extractors are pretty cheap to buy and easy to replace, so i have no problems shooting steel case.

I just don't get why for a bolt rifle?

Last edited:
Thanks @OkieStubble , I am glad to hear your views on this issue. As I mentioned it is just that the manual boldly states DO NOT. I have sent a message to the seller to see if he had actually used these rounds before, cause I can't see an issue but you never can tell.It's not like I have any warranty concerns as it's second hand. Guess I will have to wait until the seller responds, unless anyone here has the same gun and rounds and hasn't had any problems. Thanks for your information. Peter.

My guess is because bolt guns are ment to be pin point accurate steel case grinding down the Chalmer could lead to it scraping metal off, as the round is fired it fire forms to the chamber and could cause a pressure spike in chamber but I’m talking after 100s of rounds it could happen but if it was me I’d stick to brass cases softer metal and make the chamber last longer but this is just an educated guess.

Thanks @Omarz for your input. I have fired the gun at the range and it is pin point accurate at 150 yards, so the last thing I want to do is compromise this accuracy. Regards, Peter.

Thanks @Omarz for your input. I have fired the gun at the range and it is pin point accurate at 150 yards, so the last thing I want to do is compromise this accuracy. Regards, Peter.
Yeah I’d imagine it’s is my uncle had one in 308 and he was grouping 5 shots with like 3 cm spread That was at 300 meters I seen him shoot a kangaroo at 350m standing one hell of a shot let’s say there wasn’t much left of its head (also kangaroos in aus are over populated so most of not all hunters cull them as there running out of food faster then they reproduce)

Last November I was in outback NSW shooting roos, with a Howa 223. I lost count of how many I got.The drought is just devistating up there. That is why I purchased the Tikka. I think with a few slight adjustments I will be dropping Skippies at 200+ meters no problems.

Last November I was in outback NSW shooting roos, with a Howa 223. I lost count of how many I got.The drought is just devistating up there. That is why I purchased the Tikka. I think with a few slight adjustments I will be dropping Skippies at 200+ meters no problems.
Yeah I’d imagine it’s is my uncle had one in 308 and he was grouping 5 shots with like 3 cm spread That was at 300 meters I seen him shoot a kangaroo at 350m standing one hell of a shot let’s say there wasn’t much left of its head (also kangaroos in aus are over populated so most of not all hunters cull them as there running out of food faster then they reproduce)

Hah all good yeah didn’t realise your an Aussie sort have to explain most stuff as I’m not sure if the know what I mean.

Top Bottom