What's new

Tiger Platinum (made in Czech Republic)

Has anyone come across these before?

I presume this is a new blade made at the SRO factory.

Sold by a few places on ebay

RBC, who are only selling by the 100 at this moment in time.
100 Tiger Platinum double edge razor blades | eBay

And Executive Shaving, who in their listing have the following info
"Tiger Platinum double edge safety razor blades are made in the Czech Republic.
Astra blades are being withdrawn and replaced by Tiger Platinum blades. These blades are made in the same firm that produces Astra blades and is an improved version of Astra blades."

Executive Shaving are selling them by the 5
Tiger Platinum Double Edge Safety Razor Blades (x5)

Very interesting, as the Czech Razor Blade CO. has stated many times " none of our blades are suitable for shaving "...Did they get new equipment ?.....I've tried both the 3 hole Tiger and the slot center Tiger , neither are usable for shaving, and are sold mainly to third world tailors and seamstresses....Wonder what the full story is ?..... Their new web page now says their blades are for shaving, maybe they did get new equipment ( after approx 14 years of no shaving blades ) click here: Czech Blades - CHYTRÉ A OSTRÉ

Has anyone come across these before?

I presume this is a new blade made at the SRO factory.

Sold by a few places on ebay

RBC, who are only selling by the 100 at this moment in time.
100 Tiger Platinum double edge razor blades | eBay

And Executive Shaving, who in their listing have the following info
"Tiger Platinum double edge safety razor blades are made in the Czech Republic.
Astra blades are being withdrawn and replaced by Tiger Platinum blades. These blades are made in the same firm that produces Astra blades and is an improved version of Astra blades."

Executive Shaving are selling them by the 5
Tiger Platinum Double Edge Safety Razor Blades (x5)
Tiger is a great name for blades!! A while back (5+ years??) Super-Max made an SP blade named Tiger which I really liked and wished that they still sold it!!

Following your link to the 'bay, the prices looks very good!!

Strange,,,,, these Tigers do not appear on the CZECH BLADE product list .......
tiger x.JPG

Very interesting, as the Czech Razor Blade CO. has stated many times " none of our blades are suitable for shaving "...Did they get new equipment ?.....I've tried both the 3 hole Tiger and the slot center Tiger , neither are usable for shaving, and are sold mainly to third world tailors and seamstresses....Wonder what the full story is ?..... Their new web page now says their blades are for shaving, maybe they did get new equipment ( after approx 14 years of no shaving blades ) click here: Czech Blades - CHYTRÉ A OSTRÉ

Some good questions raised and I have no to what the answers might be?

I hope RBC get around to selling them by the 5 pack at some point. I've made a few blind purchases of 100 blade cartons (Nacet, Permasharp, Winner) before but this is one I'd rather not take such a risk!

I thought Astras are now made in Russia. Have they also still been produced in the Czech Republic?

It would appear not:
Czech Blades - CHYTRÉ A OSTRÉ
Czech Blades s.r.o. has been producing high-quality razors and industrial blades for more than 60 years. This Czech-owned company is a leading producer of carbon steel blades throughout the world and continues the high standards of the previous owners Astra Diu and Gillette. Our portfolio of trademarks include the famous brands TIGER, TATRA, SOKOL, LUXOR, LEON and INDUSTRIAL, which are of very high quality and value for customers around the world, particularly in countries outside of Europe. Our motto is to be a reliable and dynamic partner.

It would appear that Gillette sold the plant and took the Astra name with them to St. Petersburg.

Gillette's original three hole blade got adapted to all kinds of uses where low load and keen edge are a requirement -- film slitting, leather work, scraping, etc. As a result there was (and is) a large market for blades of that size and shape for industrial uses that do not require the keen and polished edge shaving does. Many of those blades are platinum coated for the same reason shaving blades are -- friction reduction. Chrome and tungsten also, and now diamond like carbon, but no coating with make up for lack of the polished edge shaving requires.

Most of those blades are much too thick to use in a razor, it's hard to find them under 0.010".

We will see, it would be fun to try some of them if the manufacturer is actually making blades for shaving and not trimming leather....

It would appear not:
Czech Blades - CHYTRÉ A OSTRÉ
Czech Blades s.r.o. has been producing high-quality razors and industrial blades for more than 60 years. This Czech-owned company is a leading producer of carbon steel blades throughout the world and continues the high standards of the previous owners Astra Diu and Gillette. Our portfolio of trademarks include the famous brands TIGER, TATRA, SOKOL, LUXOR, LEON and INDUSTRIAL, which are of very high quality and value for customers around the world, particularly in countries outside of Europe. Our motto is to be a reliable and dynamic partner.

It would appear that Gillette sold the plant and took the Astra name with them to St. Petersburg.
A very old "ad line " , CZ blade co. has not produced a blade for shaving in many years, even though their current page would leave you to believe they still do...

I used a Tiger Carbon Steel blade in the past and it could barely cut my facial hair, but the blade itself looked cool and it was great for dicing up my fruit.

I bought a pack to try, and it was the single worst blade I've ever tried. Horrible irritation, and duller than a butterknife.

Hello there folks, so I tried them personaly as here in CZ they are actually easy to get by. And they are not bad really! Better than today's Astra I would say. They were planning to release staintless steel blades for western shavers and they finally did, but they haven't updated their web it seems... If you want you can try the blades on, they are purposed for confortable shave and made from staintless steel.

Hello there folks, so I tried them personaly as here in CZ they are actually easy to get by. And they are not bad really! Better than today's Astra I would say. They were planning to release staintless steel blades for western shavers and they finally did, but they haven't updated their web it seems... If you want you can try the blades on, they are purposed for confortable shave and made from staintless steel.
Always good to get news from someone who is actually there. And I'm really glad to hear they have upgraded their machinery.

Top Bottom