What's new

Ties: The End

I loved dressing for work in the late 70's and through the 80's. I still have some timeless items, including a good number of BB ties (of moderate width so those were never in or out of style). Alas, I rarely have the opportunity to dress anymore but I do miss it and the country is worse for its slovenliness.

Reactions: ctr
I wore ties every day back in the 80s as a supervisor for 5 years, and had quite a collection that my wife gifted to me, so I can appreciate a nice tie, properly knotted.

As everything moved to business casual, ties became a thing of the past, and now, being retired, I rarely wear one but occasionally knot one up for a wedding or funeral.

There was a Greek restaurateur at my local ski resort who was known for cutting your tie in half with a chefs knife if you dared wear one in his establishment. It became a thing. There were half tie bottoms all over the walls. I never witnessed this myself. Back to the OP, I’ve always felt the tie was an unusual piece of mens fashion, never being a fan myself. In Back To The Future II, the future fashion in mens wear was two ties side by side. Ouch!View attachment 1459235

When I wore a tie as a supervisor of a group of union folks, they started a tradition of scissoring ties on the last day before Christmad break. I would always pick up the ugliest $5 Christmas-themed tie I could find to sacrifice on that day.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm too fat now.

I look like Porky Pig dressing up for Petunia in one now, sadly.

I'm thinking of getting some custom made ties that are twice as wide as the ones in the 70's doggone!
Image1.jpg

Ties are still part of my weekly life. After summer ends (the tues after Labor Day here in the US) The tie will be part of my everyday life. I concur re the style it can bestow. I wholeheartedly concur that thrift stores are where the bulk of ties should be purchased given the value proposition.

For those of you that no longer wear ties but still wear jackets, may I suggest a pocket square and shined shoes as your differentiators.

YMMV Greatly.

I wore ties every day back in the 80s as a supervisor for 5 years, and had quite a collection that my wife gifted to me, so I can appreciate a nice tie, properly knotted.

As everything moved to business casual, ties became a thing of the past, and now, being retired, I rarely wear one but occasionally knot one up for a wedding or funeral.
Same story here gpjoe.😊👍

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Looks like me Da in 1973!

I actually was TRYING to say earlier that I need custom made neckties about the width of an apron to disguise my fat mid- section.....

OR......I could just eat less JUNK and remove my carcass from my Lazyarseboy more than 3x a day!

I guess I will just sit here a bit longer and contemplate the pros and cons!

Top Bottom