What's new

Ties: The End

The pandemic has hastened the end of tie-wearing as a standard in certain professions. How long will it be before ties are gone entirely from the menswear scene? I stopped regular tie wearing as a schoolteacher 20 years ago, still wore one to the local house of worship until about 10 years ago, and aside from special occasions, haven't worn one since.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Haven't worn a tie regularly since 1970 when I graduated from Catholic high school. Probably no more than 5-6 times since then. My job never required a tie, so never wore one there. I do, however, still know how to tie one.

I started out in three pieces, cufflinks (have a collection of vintage ones) and the full Monty. Even before the pandemic a tie was something for trade fairs, the very first meeting with clients on board level or official functions.

Nowadays I don’t even wear one on fairs or talking to an audience. Business casual (Blazer, dress pants, buttondown shirt, loafers) is now pretty much my only workwear. In Summer I skip the jacket and switch to Chinos.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
There was a Greek restaurateur at my local ski resort who was known for cutting your tie in half with a chefs knife if you dared wear one in his establishment. It became a thing. There were half tie bottoms all over the walls. I never witnessed this myself. Back to the OP, I’ve always felt the tie was an unusual piece of mens fashion, never being a fan myself. In Back To The Future II, the future fashion in mens wear was two ties side by side. Ouch!
231DBDF3-CCC5-416F-88AA-5984D4E965FB.jpeg

I wore a tie one time.
High school graduation. Never did understand why as the robe covered the think.
I've been married twice, have graduated from other schools, been to funerals, and have been the best man at 3 weddings, still never put one on after high school.

Started off with a suit. I forgot to put on a tie once and my manager asked me where my tie was, so I kept a spare in my desk drawer. I was one of the last two people in my office (network engineers) who wore a tie. That ended around 2018. Now I don't even wear slacks or a dress shirt. It is jeans and a polo and I am still one of the best dressed people in the building. Any meetings with executives are now over WebEx and we don't bother with video, so what I wear makes no difference in how others perceive my knowledge. Jeans and a collared shirt is a more affordable attire with less maintenance.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I wore ties up through high school and in my career. Although I am retired and live in an exceptionally casual town, I still have a few gorgeous ties and wear them to church. I have noticed more and more men, including younger ones, doing likewise. I find ties, dress shirts, suits, and sport coats comfortable unless I am outdoors on a very hot and humid day. Even in those conditions I am fine in seersucker and a bowtie.

I wore ties up through high school and in my career. Although I am retired and live in an exceptionally casual town, I still have a few gorgeous ties and wear them to church. I have noticed more and more men, including younger ones, doing likewise. I find ties, dress shirts, suits, and sport coats comfortable unless I am outdoors on a very hot and humid day. Even in those conditions I am fine in seersucker and a bowtie.
Bow ties are my favorite.

I‘ve worn a suit and tie everyday for the past 17 years. It sucks waking up and having to match an outfit. I still wear a fedora most days as well. Professional attire they call it, I am often overdressed for the audience and venue but rules are rules. 😖

I haven't bought a tie in at least 15 yrs. Had a closet full but must have thrown out over 50 when I was cleaning before a paint job. I worked in midtown Manhattan for 2 years (17-18) and in a building full of law firms and financial firms I didn't see a lot of ties even though I saw plenty of suits.

Courtrooms are the last places in the law where a tie is still expected/required for male attys, courtroom staff and some witnesses. Pre Covid, I wore a full suit in district court, blue blazer with slacks in magistrate court. Now, Blue/dark grey blazer or grey Harris tweed has been creeping into district court. I would only where a full suit where there is a jury.

The private practice attys I know typically keep a few in case for the occasional first mtg with a client where it still matters and/or the execution of certain documents i.e. settlements, wills/trusts given the "seriousness" of the occasion.

Most days it is a blazer, collared button up shirt and slacks. Fridays and summertime (here in the midwest), a polo and khakis with a blazer mostly to hold a phone, glasses and to stay warm when the AC makes a room a bit too cold.

Bottom Line- The tie is hanging on in my neck of the woods.

Edited to add- Iwas just in NYC and saw many a suit, a few ties, and a ton of Cole Haan Zerogrand looking shoes.

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I’m down to once or twice a month on average now. I have about 25 at work but these days I usually grab the same one when I do need it. It’s that infrequent. I do not anticipate ever buying a new tie ever again.

Courtrooms are the last places in the law where a tie is still expected/required for male attys, courtroom staff and some witnesses. Pre Covid, I wore a full suit in district court, blue blazer with slacks in magistrate court. Now, Blue/dark grey blazer or grey Harris tweed has been creeping into district court. I would only where a full suit where there is a jury.

The private practice attys I know typically keep a few in case for the occasional first mtg with a client where it still matters and/or the execution of certain documents i.e. settlements, wills/trusts given the "seriousness" of the occasion.

Most days it is a blazer, collared button up shirt and slacks. Fridays and summertime (here in the midwest), a polo and khakis with a blazer mostly to hold a phone, glasses and to stay warm when the AC makes a room a bit too cold.

Bottom Line- The tie is hanging on in my neck of the woods.

Edited to add- Iwas just in NYC and saw many a suit, a few ties, and a ton of Cole Haan Zerogrand looking shoes.
Wow those shoes are seriously ugly and it's not only the soles. The top leather looks super cheap.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Ties will never disappear.
They may get to the point of not being the fashion standard, but they'll be around in one form or another far into distant days ahead.
The hat was a standard for a long time, and is no longer - but hats are still used, and there are still businesses that make and sell them. I suspect ties will be similar.
In the future, whatever format "online" discussions take, there will always be groups of people like the folks here, trading old hats and ties and suitcoats and other ancient artifacts, keeping classic and antique fashion alive by spreading the infectious collector disease we all share.

They may get to the point of not being the fashion standard, but they'll be around in one form or another far into distant days ahead.
The hat was a standard for a long time, and is no longer - but hats are still used, and there are still businesses that make and sell them. I suspect ties will be similar.
In the future, whatever format "online" discussions take, there will always be groups of people like the folks here, trading old hats and ties and suitcoats and other ancient artifacts, keeping classic and antique fashion alive by spreading the infectious collector disease we all share.
I've boiled my hat/tie to disinfect now it looks ugly - pls help ;)

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I wore a tie virtually every day of my teaching career. It wasn't required, but being the music teacher I had enough problems being seen as a "real" teacher, so I went for best dressed. I would often purchase the shirt and tie together so I could get a great color match. Some of my HS kids would ask me to wear a particular shirt and tie combo on their birthday.

Since retiring in 2011 I only wear a tie a couple of times a year - weddings and funerals. I still have about 50 in the closet, but I'm sure the width of what's in style has changed since then. I don't care, I'm certainly not shopping for more. It is fun to dress up occasionally.

As usual, Phil nails it.

My son just graduated from high school. His school required the boys to wear a tie to the ceremony (under the robes), so my son got a lesson in how to tie a tie and dressing to the occasion. I wore a tie to the graduation ceremony. Did I have to? No, but it felt like the right thing to do. I used it as an excuse to buy a new tie - a nice silk knit one.

I've never been a fan, but wore them as occasion demanded.

I suspect that eventually the last hold outs will be black/white tie affairs, some high level business, courts, and military dress uniforms.

and hipsters/eccentrics as mentioned above.

Top Bottom