What's new

Tie knots?

I would never have guessed so many of you would go full windsor, I very rarely see someone with a full IRL.

Full Windsor, bespoke shirts with a semi-cutaway and the width of the tie at it's widest point NEVER exceeding the width of the lapel.

Always Full Windsor. I never understood the "it's too big of a knot." Just make it a little tighter and it will be smaller!:biggrin1:

I always wear a full Windsor, big fat knot. I hearing guys write "double Windsor," enlighten us... is it the same thing?

Half Windsor. It is symetrical, reasonably sized, not intricate, can be tied without a mirror in a pinch and leaves enough left over tie for a reasonable tall guy to look good without a jacket.

Half Windsor whenever I tie a tie. I only know half and full Windsor though. I'll have to check that link and learn a new knot or two.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Full Windsor. (I prefer it over the Double Windsor, immensely.)

I hear all the people talking about how they like the 4-in-H for its asymmetry, but I actually think that this is one time when symmetry is a good thing. Your outfit can be asymmetrical elsewhere, that's fine, but I like the "zig zag" of tie and collar to not attract attention through asymmetry.

The Windsor knot if tied too loosely is ... too big. Tie it tighter and all is well.

I occasionally use the 4-in-H when the tie is too thick (usually wool or knitted) for my usual Windsor.

... knot telling.

:em2700:

Nobody?

:001_unsur

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pdillon

I don't wear a tie often. Four in hand 100% of the time. I like the asymmetry. Perhaps if I owned some spread collar shirts I might go with the windsor, but until then, 4 it is.

P

pdillon

I hear all the people talking about how they like the 4-in-H for its asymmetry, but I actually think that this is one time when symmetry is a good thing. Your outfit can be asymmetrical elsewhere, that's fine, but I like the "zig zag" of tie and collar to not attract attention through asymmetry.

If I thought itr would go unnoticed, I would go Windsor. But I think the size would draw attention to the windsor. So when people look, I would rather them notice the imperfection.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If I thought itr would go unnoticed, I would go Windsor. But I think the size would draw attention to the windsor. So when people look, I would rather them notice the imperfection.

Tightness of the knot and thinness of the tie affect the knot size a lot.

I find that cheap ties tend to be thinner, and moderately expensive ties tend to be thicker (presumably to convince the customer that they are getting a better tie because it's thicker.) The really pricey ties tend not to be so thick ... it depends more in the individual maker.

Of course, ties are one area where it's easy to save money and not "look like it".

Tightness of the knot and thinness of the tie affect the knot size a lot.

I find that cheap ties tend to be thinner, and moderately expensive ties tend to be thicker (presumably to convince the customer that they are getting a better tie because it's thicker.) The really pricey ties tend not to be so thick ... it depends more in the individual maker.

Of course, ties are one area where it's easy to save money and not "look like it".

Agreed, a great example of this would be to compare the Donald Trump ties you can purchase at Marshalls vs. a Hermes tie. My Hermes ties are exqusite and are much thinner :)

Top Bottom