What's new

tie brands

This thread caught my eye and it made me think about the days that I would have to wear a suit and tie to work every day and the massive tie collection I gathered as a result.

I have a good 30-40 Versace ties that are in excellent condition but never get worn. Would any of the folks be interested if I listed them in the BST?

I would think so. I have a couple of Versace ties that I really like. How old are they? How wide are they? Pictures would be a big plus.

I beat you sell some ties. For that matter I bet you sell some ties to me.

Are all of your ties Versace? If so, how did your end up focused so much on Versace ties? If you were paying full retail you were paying a fortune!

I would think so. I have a couple of Versace ties that I really like. How old are they? How wide are they? Pictures would be a big plus.

I beat you sell some ties. For that matter I bet you sell some ties to me.

Are all of your ties Versace? If so, how did your end up focused so much on Versace ties? If you were paying full retail you were paying a fortune!

I'll take some pics over the wknd. Literally, the only times I've worn ties recently have been for when I have attended weddings. They are the standard size and probably about 10 yrs old. Of what I would I sell (which I would guess would be about 30 or so ties) all would be Versace. I probably paid full retail for about 50% of them. At that time, I was young (and dumb), single and probably spent somewhere around $10k/yr at the Versace store :eek:

Check out Sam Hober; go to his web site. Nice selection, hand made, unique fabrics, from Thailand. Really a nice site to browse. And ditto on Land's End.

Hardy Amies - new and vintage
Ermenegildo Zegna (hope I spelt that right)
Michel Rouen
Jeffry Beene

And you can't beat silk in my opinion

Hermes - they have made ties the same width for as long as I can remember - just right. Not the awful "kipper" ties of the 90s and not the weedy bootlaces that are getting trendy again now. Just an honest width and a decent fabric well put together.

I almost never wear a tie, so I own one Hermes and 3 or 4 other non name ones that I have picked up at different times.

Charvet makes fantastic ties that you'll never regret owning. They do the best job I know of being elegant, classy, kinda flashy and yet conservative all at the same time.

They don't age either- i.e. they don't look "out" in two years-- or ever really.

Stefano Ricci also makes magnificent ties that scream 'i'M REALLY A PRICEY *** TIE" even when it's a simple solid. And they really are pricey *** ties. Holding it in your hands you know it's inordinately well made and a cut above.

Last edited:
I agree with most people. I go by appearance and feel. As a result, I have stuff from Macy's private label to Jerry Garcia to BCBG. My favorite brand for years has been Jerry Garcia for their appearance. Lately, I do not know if I will continue to purchase them as some of my style has changed.

Depends on what knot you use. Some are better fabrics than others for knot tying. Denser fabrics look killer with a Pratt knott on wide collars. Softer or silkier are nice with narrow collars and smaller knots or tighter packed knots.

I use Jos A. Banks brands.

This thread caught my eye and it made me think about the days that I would have to wear a suit and tie to work every day and the massive tie collection I gathered as a result.

I have a good 30-40 Versace ties that are in excellent condition but never get worn. Would any of the folks be interested if I listed them in the BST?

If they are solid colors or single color patterns.

Went to Nordstrom Rack today, nicest ties they had were Hugo Boss. I bought one. Was tempted to buy two, but at $45 a pop...could not bring myself to buy another one. Mr. Boss sure knows how to make nice stuff... He makes nice suits too. Good suits, not the best suits, but better than good enough.

Went to Nordstrom Rack today, nicest ties they had were Hugo Boss. I bought one. Was tempted to buy two, but at $45 a pop...could not bring myself to buy another one. Mr. Boss sure knows how to make nice stuff... He makes nice suits too. Good suits, not the best suits, but better than good enough.

I like Hugo Boss but think their prices are a little ridiculous. there's a Hugo Boss pea coat I want from Nordstrom's but it costs $600 :glare:

I would recommend trying to find a Ralph Lauren/Polo store (not an outlet) that is having a Friends and Family sale. They will have some good quality RLPL and RLBL ties at significant discounts. Also Off Fifth and Last Call have some great looking Zegna/Varvatos/Brioni offerings. I would never pay over $50 for a tie. One pen mark and you're screwed.

I like Hugo Boss but think their prices are a little ridiculous. there's a Hugo Boss pea coat I want from Nordstrom's but it costs $600 :glare:

You should buy it in my size and then return it because it doesn't fit so it shows up at Last Chance where I can snag it for $50. :thumbup1:

Seriously though, if it weren't for Last Chance, I would never buy a Boss suit. Simply could not afford it.

You should buy it in my size and then return it because it doesn't fit so it shows up at Last Chance where I can snag it for $50. :thumbup1:

Seriously though, if it weren't for Last Chance, I would never buy a Boss suit. Simply could not afford it.

is Last Chance affiliated with Nordstroms? are they similar to the Nordstrom Rack, except a little cheaper?

is Last Chance affiliated with Nordstroms? are they similar to the Nordstrom Rack, except a little cheaper?

They are the Clearance center for Nordstroms. More like a very upscale Ross. Everything they have is severely discounted because the stuff is either returned from the Nordstrom stores or they were unable to sell it at the Rack.

For example. I've picked up two Santoni shoes for $70 apiece. Three Allen Edmonds for $40 apiece, and two Boss suits for $100 apiece.

So, every time you shop and Nordstroms and return it to them...I get a crack at it for basement prices. :biggrin1: :thumbup1:

Some of the stuff looks brand new too.

Can't wait for the Christmas returns to start coming in... *drools* Oh, the savings!!! Still need nice loafers. Everyone keeps holding on to those. Its not fair.

They are the Clearance center for Nordstroms. More like a very upscale Ross. Everything they have is severely discounted because the stuff is either returned from the Nordstrom stores or they were unable to sell it at the Rack.

For example. I've picked up two Santoni shoes for $70 apiece. Three Allen Edmonds for $40 apiece, and two Boss suits for $100 apiece.

So, every time you shop and Nordstroms and return it to them...I get a crack at it for basement prices. :biggrin1: :thumbup1:

Some of the stuff looks brand new too.

Can't wait for the Christmas returns to start coming in... *drools* Oh, the savings!!! Still need nice loafers. Everyone keeps holding on to those. Its not fair.

hmmm, sounds good but I don't think there's a Last Chance located in Minnesota. it's a shame cuz I'd love to take advantage of those prices. Nordstrom Rack doesn't offer much of a discount

hmmm, sounds good but I don't think there's a Last Chance located in Minnesota. it's a shame cuz I'd love to take advantage of those prices. Nordstrom Rack doesn't offer much of a discount

Only one is in Phoenix. :thumbup:

Of course, if you were to come down here, we could get together over some beers and talk about straight razors. And you could check it out. They've got smoking deals. People buy stuff there and resell them on ebay.

I was in a Nordstrom Rack yesterday, too, and they had maybe a dozen different Robert Talbott ties for $24.99 each. Beautiful materials used. I was in a rush and didn't want to deal with the checkout line -- "we'll be able to serve you in less than 30 minutes" -- but I plan to go back on a weekday.

Top Bottom