What's new

tickled by feather

So thinking about getting it. Is it as good as its price? As aggressive as R41 yet smooth as a tech? If not so much, then Lupo it is.

The AS D2 is the only one of 30+ vintage and modern razors that I have used that will not give me a decent shave. Feather blades work best but best is rarely an SAS that lasts till noon. Some swear they get a BBS shave but despite getting a BBS without irritation or blood with everything from a DE89 to an R41 I cannot get anything worth calling a shave from an AS D2. Various creams, blades, whatever, thwart razor does not work for me. At the complete opposite of the spectrum from the R41..FWIW it is a beautifully engineered and manufactured shaving instrument, if only I could make it work for me....YMMV of course

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I find the AS-D2 a very comforting razor. It never snarls or bites, but with a not too lofty but very slick lather it will yield an excellent shave for me after three passes, BBS everywhere but the hollows of my cheeks. It takes a bit of pressure and buffing to get those. It is safe for a five minute and half asleep shave. It is absolutely worth mastering IMHO.

Back to Lupo. Thanks for the replies. Frankly, not surprised cuz it looks like a tech. Good, but mild.

Find the right angle on an AS-D2 and it'll give you a superb shave. If you don't you'll write it off as useless - excellent technique required. Handle approximately 45⁰ from the face.

The AS-D2 is at the very mild end of the spectrum. It provides very fine shaves if paired with a Feather blade (so long as your technique is good)!

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
AS-D2 with Kai blade ain't too bad.
Agree with posters - R41 is aggressive with a ton of blade exposure too. Kinda like a straight razor.

Top Bottom