What's new

Tia Chi

I had my first block 3 days ago. I have always been active exercising my whole life. My question is , would Tia Chi help me in the long run. I hope to keep walking,and doing what I can. I have to much I want to do and see. If any of you are doing Tia Chi let me know. I'm 65 be 66 next month. Hope to retire in May . Thanks David

I had my first block 3 days ago. I have always been active exercising my whole life. My question is , would Tia Chi help me in the long run. I hope to keep walking,and doing what I can. I have to much I want to do and see. If any of you are doing Tia Chi let me know. I'm 65 be 66 next month. Hope to retire in May . Thanks David

I do not do Tia Chi but, as I see it , mobility will be the deciding factor in the quality of life as I age.
Range of motion will be paramount and something I will pursue relentlessly.
I have thought about Tai Chi as an option and quite possibly the route I will take.
I'm not there yet but it is something that is on my mind and Tai Chi is a very viable option.

I do something called Qi Gong (pronounced chee-gung), similar to tai chi. The slow, deliberate movements are good for balance, breathing, and moving fluid throughout the body. Coming from a meditation background, I like how it integrates the mind & body. As someone with severe hip arthritis and lower back tightness, it's something I can do, and pair it with stretching and bits of walking.

I use some beginner DVDs from Francesco and Daisy Lee Garripoli, also on YouTube. A few of my local libraries offer some free group classes too.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I had my first block 3 days ago. I have always been active exercising my whole life. My question is , would Tia Chi help me in the long run. I hope to keep walking,and doing what I can. I have to much I want to do and see. ... I'm 65 be 66 next month.

I think the best advice is "do something" ... and tai chi is certainly something. Beats the heck out of sitting on the couch.

Is it "the best" for someone your age in general? Dunno. Is it the best for YOU? Dunno even more. Try it for a while. See how it goes ... for you. Keep exploring other options (by which I may mean "go to other classes and trainers" and I may mean "read a lot and research on the internet a lot") and thus keep refining your approach and tools for your best results.

Next, spend an hour here and see if it's of interest.

I was beginning my Tai Chi journey when this corona broke out and all classes were cancelled. I highly recommend it. Good for mind and body. I'm 73, but all ages participate together.

A long time ago I took tai chi and push hands. Loved it. I also took to it very easily so that helped. The more experienced people in class enjoyed watching me learn and knocking em on their butt. I ended up moving and couldn’t drive that far for it. My wife brings it up every now and then to try to get me to take it again.

studies have been done on tai chi to decrease risk of falls.... maybe bone density too. they have done fall risk studies on all sorts of similar activities. Like someone else commented, i think it most important juist to get into something that speaks to you. ive done some tai chi, pilates, yoga, barre3 etc etc. tai chi definitely is a little more friendly as you are older. i would think of much greater benefit than chair yoga. and thats just the physical aspect. the psychological benefit (particularly in this time) is underlooked.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have had an interest in Tai Chi, but have been unable to find any local classes. I have some DVDs, but really need some hands on instruction/critique of technique, etc. I did some Aikido about 20 yr.s ago, but there is no way I could do that now. Only things local are all geared for younger folks, JKD, BJJ, Krav, etc. I need something low stress/ low impact to regain some lost mobility and keep what I got as I age.

I've not done a great deal of Tai Chi, have managed the first third or so of the Cheng Man Ching shortform and have done a little pushing hands. Spent a lot longer on wing chun kung fu but my favourite training/sticking hands partner was a long time tai chi guy.

As long as you have a good teacher it seems pretty much ideal for a long term plan but that goes for most of the internal Chinese arts imo.

Since the virus has hit the most useful stuff I've come across and passed on has been simpler gentle qigong type stuff like marrying up the breath with movement, running through slow joint rotations and basic weight shifting.

I'd be a little wary of learning full forms, or anything overly martial, without a decent teacher present as small issues in form can lead to excess strain on joints and other things that might not like it.

More tai chi would also serve as justification towards buying one of these: https://lkchensword.com/shop/ols/products/flying-phoenix-han-jian

I've not done a great deal of Tai Chi, have managed the first third or so of the Cheng Man Ching shortform and have done a little pushing hands. Spent a lot longer on wing chun kung fu but my favourite training/sticking hands partner was a long time tai chi guy.

As long as you have a good teacher it seems pretty much ideal for a long term plan but that goes for most of the internal Chinese arts imo.

Since the virus has hit the most useful stuff I've come across and passed on has been simpler gentle qigong type stuff like marrying up the breath with movement, running through slow joint rotations and basic weight shifting.

I'd be a little wary of learning full forms, or anything overly martial, without a decent teacher present as small issues in form can lead to excess strain on joints and other things that might not like it.

More tai chi would also serve as justification towards buying one of these: https://lkchensword.com/shop/ols/products/flying-phoenix-han-jian
Tai Chi with sword is wonderful. I never got that far. I always wanted to but I think that window of opportunity has closed for me. Maybe in my next life.

Top Bottom