What's new

Thuringian Whetstone is this a good one?

That PDF is not "from" strazors. It's from Peter Buhlmann, aka hatzicho. He is the source of the document. He posted it at many razor forums when he created it. It is a good read though.

Also, if you read the link I posted, all Eschers were not the same.

No one here can say if a Timber Tools Thuringian is good or bad. Even if they have one or tried one, they are limited by their experience. If a reading member wants to judge a stone based on one person's opinion it their business.
Natural stones - you have to dial in. Makes sense. To each his hone. My parcel is processed in Melbourne now. Pics soon.

Here's the star brand.. arrived today full of dust. Never seen a thuri so not sure if it's one. :)
20190410_191132.jpg

Lol, its 150 x 30 x 18 mm.
Are these soft stones? Dmt 1200 is generating quick slurry compared to jnat finisher. I am yet to lap it fully.

Also, if you read the link I posted, all Eschers were not the same.

No one here can say if a Timber Tools Thuringian is good or bad. Even if they have one or tried one, they are limited by their experience. If a reading member wants to judge a stone based on one person's opinion it their business.
Those who have used them can in fact make a fair judgment at to whether the timber tools stone is good or bad, especially if they have genuine thuri or Escher hones to compare them to. Simply because timber tools may/may not get them from the Thuringia region does not make them genuine Thuringia hones. If yours works for you, great, justify it to yourself any way you want. Fact is timber tools is and has been for some time grossly overcharging and knowingly misleading people on what they are actually selling.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
They are soft, some are softer than others. One of my favorites is a dual layer Y/G that is very muddy. Lapping should be easy

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Those who have used them can in fact make a fair judgment at to whether the timber tools stone is good or bad, especially if they have genuine thuri or Escher hones to compare them to. Simply because timber tools may/may not get them from the Thuringia region does not make them genuine Thuringia hones. If yours works for you, great, justify it to yourself any way you want. Fact is timber tools is and has been for some time grossly overcharging and knowingly misleading people on what they are actually selling.

Well said

Absolutely!
This is where experience comes into play.

If it's okay with "those" who have compared their real rocks with my fake rock, I'll continue to use the Thuringian I got from TT because it works very well.....LOL!!:ciappa::ciappa:
I know that MOSTLY people are arguing on the semantical nature of TT CALLING their stones Thuri's, but my brain has me wondering "what if they DO shave significantly better off of an official Thuri?" I know my one unofficial "my grandpa used to be a carpenter" and my new official "the genuine water hone" are shockingly keen, but also smooth and forgiving.
I know you're very satisfied with your TT stone, it's just how MY brain convinces me i NEED to try new shaving stuff..."what if it IS better?" So I'm just trying to collect them all lol I've been lucky enough to find two great stones in the wild, otherwise i'd never be able to afford them.

It wasn't semantics. It was just calling them out about misrepresenting their products. They are not selling Eschers :)
Reading through the threads it seems that you just want to argue your point which is ok since we live in a free country but dont be surprised that other members will call you out on it.
Also take no offense but if I have to rely on the opinion of somebody regarding hones I will go with for example Keith or other members who have honed thousands of razors and tried 100's of stones instead of a new member with one coti and one thuri who started 8 months ago. Just common sense. I consider myself a new honer, with over 2 years of honing and that's why I refrain from giving too much advice because the edges I thought were great 6 month ago feel not good enough today. The things I thought I understood and mastered are just a bit different today. We are all learning, evolving and getting better at this so no need to take everything posted here as a personal insult. People are just sharing opinions.

I believe that your edges do get better, at least that's my experience. It's like everything we do, the more we do it the better we get at it. Of course there are limitations, I will never be athletic enough to play pro sports etc.
I have read this from multiple people on multiple forums and also experienced it myself, the edges that were good a year ago somehow seem subpar today. Yeah there will be a plateau at some point, I have not reached it yet.
One thing about razor honing, again for me, is that it's not just running the blade up and down. Some razors require a bit of gymnastics, roll etc. Subtle things. Technique evolves, things you didn't see a year ago suddenly become obvious. Scope has helped me see where my edges lag, for example toe isn't hitting all the way etc.

As you can see from my posts I dont say anything about the TT stones performance since I didn't try them and I have not tried film either so I cant judge. I agree with you if I tried one stone and didn't like it maybe it was just a bad one. It drives me crazy when people try one Jnat and start passing generalized judgments about them since stones of same color, mine, stamp will behave a bit differently.
At the same time some of those guys have tried multiple stones and even though I dont subscribe to the adoration/follower in life camp of some gurus there are some people that make sense, some that I have met in person and honed with and I tend to trust their opinion. Not saying you should not investigate and try for yourself.

It seems a lot of this boils down to your negative experience on the forums which tend to be dominated by certain members while others remain more reserved. Yeah, can't argue with that.

One question. How would you say the films compare to the thuri from TT? Comfort and sharpness wise. Just curious.

Well, most are just taking. An argument is based on evidence. Making libelous statements about a company and their product based on hearsay and anecdotal experience is in poor taste.

What a ridiculous statement. I've used literally hundreds of Thuringians. At one point I had one of the largest if not the largest collection in the world. I've used the Mueller stone. I bought it directly from Mueller. What Timbertools is selling is well known to be that stone. That stone would never, in a million years, be confused for a Thuringian in use by anyone who knows the first thing about Thuringian stones. It's not libel. It's facts. One leaves a beautifully clean edge that gives a sharp and comfortable shave. The other leaves an edge that looks like it got ran over by wheat thresher @ 100x and shaves worse than a DMT 1200. The stones are not even slightly similar in performance.

Selling that stone as a razor finisher, much less as a Thuringian (One of the best razor finishers of all time) is not only dishonest, it's damaging to the community. I'd put it on par with the guys who used to sell Norton honing sets while giving advice that everyone should learn to hone (and shave) on a Norton 8k (An absolutely horrible shave). I doubt we could ever know how many people tried to get a good shave with their Norton set, and then scratched straights entirely as not enjoyable... likewise how many people are getting turned off of again, one of the best options for a straight razor hone, by thinking the mid-range at best stone that Timbertools sells is an example of one.

Last edited:
It's been proven. They are selling Mueller "Water Grind-Stone". Which Mueller has confirmed is NOT the same stone as Thuringian.

To Clarify, since you seem to be confused why people are angry. Here is the chronological sorting of things.

Mueller sells a stone as coming from "a few miles from the source of Thuringian hones"

TimberTools and dozens of eBayers buy these and resell them as "Thuringian hones for razor finishing"

HUNDREDS of people who own and use Thuringian hones try them and confirm they are nothing at all like Thuringian hones.

People who saw the stones at Mueller's site point out that they clearly said they were not Thuringian hones.

You claim that there is no evidence they are not Thuringian hones and call it Libel to point out the very obvious and established fact that selling them as such is misleading.

Here's a post where Peter explains exactly where they are from and how they differ in origin from actual Thuringian hones.
Thuringian from toolshop.de?

Same thread is also him explaining where the smaller (real Thuringian hones) came from.

Last edited:
Top Bottom