What's new

Thumbs on a 1911

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I have fairly large hands and sometimes my thumb will hit the slide release on recoil. Not a big deal unless it is your last round. Anyone else have this issue and what did you do?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Strong hand (R) thumb on (wide) safety, support hand (L) thumb wrapped over right thumb, pulling both downward. I have average sized hands with short thumbs? I find the popular "thumbs forward" grip unnatural and of little benefit, YMMV greatly.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Strong hand (R) thumb on (wide) safety, support hand (L) thumb wrapped over right thumb, pulling both downward. I have average sized hands with short thumbs? I find the popular "thumbs forward" grip unnatural and of little benefit, YMMV greatly.
I am actually trying to teach myself that, John. It feels very awkward but with all things I am sure it will feel natural eventually.

If you are using thumb over thumb, your left thumb should actually be pressing the side of the dust cover.

This, YES.
1679582109330.png

This, NO. (Shooting Illustrated, I'm not even sure what they are trying to depict here, no surprise. It looks like he's trying to show the controls to the camera without touching anything.)
1679582204775.png

This is a badly executed #1, and probably following the instructions he read in #2:
1679582238498.png

#1 is a pretty radical forward angle and I have some difficulty with that, firearm-dependent, but your thumb should always be hitting that dustcover on a 1911.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
If you are using thumb over thumb, your left thumb should actually be pressing the side of the dust cover.

This, YES.
View attachment 1625584

This, NO. (Shooting Illustrated, I'm not even sure what they are trying to depict here, no surprise. It looks like he's trying to show the controls to the camera without touching anything.)
View attachment 1625586

This is a badly executed #1, and probably following the instructions he read in #2:
View attachment 1625587

#1 is a pretty radical forward angle and I have some difficulty with that, firearm-dependent, but your thumb should always be hitting that dustcover on a 1911.
It does but its fat enough to occasionally hit the slide release. :lol:

It does but its fat enough to occasionally hit the slide release. :lol:
:biggrin: Ok! I have been known to get a Wilson's Extended Slide Release and do a bit of reprofiling:

1679591349782.jpeg

They used to be 2-3mm wider than the current ones, but I still use a thin Dremel cut-off wheel to cut off that outer band(referring to the section of metal on the pad closest and facing you immediately in front of the closest serration cut), then grind & blend. I like a functional slide release for several reasons, and the Wilson profile lends itself about the best to reprofiling in several dimensions, and still providing a nice ridge to hit. Stainless is so much easier than blued, but if you go blued, Mark Lee's "stove top" hot blue is fantastic!

Better to show, I suppose. I sometimes shave off the circled edge at the serration cut, if it is too wide after profiling:
1679591788364.jpeg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
77411222-892E-4DB9-838A-A15FE780718F.jpeg
4BEFA956-DD58-49D8-B36C-17D90540311F.jpeg
EAFD5004-6959-4028-8C4F-BE9A1A7E9E2E.jpeg

How I do it right or wrong. In the last pic you can see neither thumb is near the slide release. I have seen some "flag" the left-hand thumb straight up rather than wrap it down over the right-hand thumb.

Last edited:
Wichita Arms, considered premium compared to Bomars by the cognoscenti back in the day.

Damn, how do I know that?! I'm only twenty-ahhh, twenty-... Ouch.😜

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
As for the thumb forward on the dust cover, that is a relatively new construct by modern competition shooters. It certainly was not taught by Col. Cooper at Gunsite when I attended nor is it seen in the book "The Modern Technique Of the Pistol" by Morrison.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
A further observation on the support hand thumb position. Cooper and his contemporaries taught the Weaver stance back in the day. So that's how I was taught. Modern competition oriented shooters tend to use the Isosceles stance. The thumb forward on the dust cover requires an unnatural (to me) forward rotation of the support hand in order to get the thumb forward. That can't be done by most folks if using the traditional Weaver stance, YMMV. The Weaver stance is a fighting stance developed back in the day when law enforcement carried magnum pistols. The Isosceles stance was developed as a competition stance used with relatively soft recoiling race guns. The art of pistol craft is ever evolving and Iso has found it's way into tactical applications as well.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The Weaver was also created at a time when officers weren’t wearing ballistic vests and the bladed stance of the Weaver made for a lesser backstop for adversaries bullets.

Once ballistic vests were more mainstream, officers taking hits from incoming rounds during gunfights while in the Weaver stance, had higher percentages of rounds slipping in between the sides of the vests and under the armpits.

The initiative of the Isosceles which presented more of the front panels and hard plates, brought these percentages way down. In a civilian carry where ballistic protection isn’t being used, I can still see the logic of a Weaver stance which presents a smaller target profile, being a viable shooting position.

Top Bottom