What's new

Thumb notch cutout - what's it for?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have seen this and similar on a few SR's on B&B.

IMG_20220126_154242.jpg
The question is, what is this cutout for?

It's too small to use to open a beer bottle.

So @DrStrange, what you are saying is that it is only for aesthetic purposes. They also appear on some SR's without any other embellishments.

Yes, that's what I am saying.
I can't figure out any way to use the thumb spike.

A couple of the razors which I use, have thumb spikes,
so it is something which I have wondered about also.

Could it be an exaggerated "choil"? Similar to those found on some hunting/pocket knifes. Where it's main purpose is to clearly define where the sharp edge ends (and to have symmetry with the toe). Maybe a secondary purpose is to act as a stop/guard to prevent the thumb from getting close to the blade, even if the shank was slippery, or to when stropping as mentioned above.

I believe it is a finger choil, because that is what it looks like. A choil allows the user to choke up on the blade (get closer) safely.

I vote for a modified Choil, which on knives are often described as Dripping Choils, but are really sharpening choils. It allows the edge to be sharpened fully, to the Ricasso, Stabilizer on a razor, without hitting the ricasso/stabilizer with the stone.

In this case it may be a Drip Choil that actually works. On knives, small sharpening choils are too small to effectively work for dripping.

I cut sharpening choils all the time on knives to sharpen the whole blade.

Anatomy-of-a-blade-illo_03.jpg

Last edited:
A drip notch, most of the C.V. Heljestrand M**knr models Eskilstuna Sweden is to stop water and soap from going down towards the pin to keep it dry..

20180127_101159.jpg

Top Bottom