What's new

Throwing axes/tomahawks/knives

I got a set of SOG throwing tomahawks for Father's Day, but I've been so busy that I just now got a chance to play with them over the weekend! What a blast! I bounced them off of the target for about 15 minutes before it "clicked," and now I stick them about 80% of the time.

Speaking of targets, I'm throwing them at a tree in the backyard currently. Admittedly not the ideal target, but I don't own the necessary tools to build my own.

Who here likes to throw sharp objects into wood?

That reminds me of Ed Ames throwing a tomahawk on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. The throw stuck right in what would have been the family jewels of the target. Johnny lost it!

1600095630900.png

In KC you can throw axes while drinking beer......... We have two places that are set up for that here one downtown the other just across the border in Overland Park KS

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Love 'em, have many types. Been throwing for decades.

Won a T-shirt at the fair; that impressed the coworkers I was with ... professionally, not so much.

AA

Love 'em, have many types. Been throwing for decades.

Won a T-shirt at the fair; that impressed the coworkers I was with ... professionally, not so much.

AA

Very cool! What are your favorite axes? The SOG tomahawks I have are really nice, but of course I want to add to the collection. I'm thinking of a double bladed set so that my family can have fun too and stick them more often with less practice.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Very cool! What are your favorite axes? The SOG tomahawks I have are really nice, but of course I want to add to the collection. I'm thinking of a double bladed set so that my family can have fun too and stick them more often with less practice.

Mine came from Jason Townsend, but Crazy Crow has one I'd like to try.

They all (low end) come from China or India. Now I DO have one hand-forged beauty, Fort Turner... but it's a Rogers Rangers Hawk with spike. You want one, if you get into hawks.

Fighting with hawks is a great American tradition. Goes hand-in-hand with First American history, black powder shooting and patriotism itself, IMHO.

AA

Last edited:
A tangent -- when I was much younger a bunch of us (amateurs) juggled at work and the most fun was "passing" (three clubs each with one being tossed to another guy every beat, or every other, or every third, or whatever). At parties we'd often use torches and eventually we incorporated a (single) hatchet. Definitely helps with focus. You can usually drop a mis-caught torch without injury but you really don't want to catch a hatchet by the wrong end.

These days I wouldn't do it on a bet; however throwing at a target sounds like good fun!

My buddy and me found a place in Duluth, Blacklist Brewery, that does the same thing....

We both thought it was the coolest thing in the world.......:biggrin1:. Can't wait to try it.....

Don

You're going to be hooked the moment you hear "THUNK!" and see the axe sticking out of the target. It honestly scratches some kind of primal itch. I just finished cleaning up after dinner and I'm getting ready to go out and throw a few right now.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
When I was a pre-teen/teenager I became quite proficient with my knives. I haven't thrown them in probably 15+ years though. From what I remember, it was mostly about understanding how many revolutions per distance it takes to get the knife to stick.

20200914_191236.jpg

Last edited:
Have thrown axes at an establishment that sells alcohol also. Very fun!
Have two sets of throwing knives at home - great backyard fun:) I call it man darts.

Top Bottom