What's new

Thrift Stores

Both of my brothers visit our local Goodwill several times a week. Always on Thursdays when Target drops their overstock. They buy and sell stuff and make a killing doing so.

Had another great Johnston & Murphy find at my local Goodwill yesterday. Johnston & Murphy black plain-toe oxford in near-new condition. You could tell they'd been worn a handful of times and it looks like they had a third-party install a rubber wear liner on bottom, but basically like new. They're made in India, so probably anywhere from $120 - $180 new.

I got them for $13 (damn "Special Price", they should have been $4.60). I was in need of a dressier and more modern replacement for my black Bostonian loafers, and these are perfect (other lace-up not being as airport friendly as slip-on).

Looks like heat induced warping to me. Maybe it was left on the dashboard of a hot car?

I'd love to tee that baby up and see how it flies.

It seriously looks like the rocks that Fred Flintstone used to golf with.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I buy pants for my daughter at the salvation army. I need to go again she is outgrown much of her wardrobe. I also look for stuff for myself, and have been lucky sometimes.

Phil

I scored a like-new Hugo Boss/made in Italy tie for $2.99 the other day. it's one of those ridiculously priced $95 ties you see at Nordstroms or Macy's, and if you're lucky it might be marked down half price at Nordstrom Rack. aside from some slight threading at the bottom of the tie, the tie looked unworn. I just took some scissors and snipped a few of the loose threads away and it looks perfect. :thumbup1:

today I bought:

- Johan Santana/Minnesota Twins t-shirt for my wife
- Muppet Show 'Be Kind To Animal' t-shirt
proxy.php

- MC Escher book
- cocktail recipe book
- The Exorcist book
- The Taking of Pelham 1,2,3 book

Last edited:
I help out at a local charity shop once a week. Have picked up a few nice items there. Helps to be out the back of the shop when the stuff comes in!

Last few items are an as new Levi denim jacket for £9.00, a current model as new Gant windcheater jacket that retails for £199 for £9.50, several decent new shirts and jumpers.

My friend who also helps out has got several nice quality toys for her grandchildren at silly prices. (That's my department. I sort the toys!)

Gareth

Legion

Staff member
The thing about thrift stores is you have to be comfortable looking at 200 items at low prices and walking out of the store with nothing if nothing is up to your standard.
Ha. I rarely walk away with nothing, even if it is a .50c kids book or item of clothing. Finding something for myself often doesn't happen, though.

Ha. I rarely walk away with nothing, even if it is a .50c kids book or item of clothing. Finding something for myself often doesn't happen, though.
If you find stuff, great. My point is: don't lower your standards for a low price because later you'll have something not to your liking and whatever you paid for it was wasted. A perhaps small waste, but a waste nonetheless.

Late to the party:

I have been a thrift store shopper my entire life. I am presently wearing a 5.00 Polo Button Down ( retail 75+) and a 3.00 Talbot tie (retail 50) I am also wearing a pair of Jack Erwin Boots made in Spain boot that were 70.00 shipped on ebay that retailed for 275. ( I spent too much but I "needed" the Cordovan colorway.

My guidelines for me. YMMV:
1. It has to fit from the rack (if I had access to a consistent, quality seamstress/tailor AND I was earlier in my career arc, it would be worth it to alter certain suits, slacks and blazers. Now, not so much.)
2. It has to have to be wear ready after 1 wash or cleaning.
3. It has to be a Tier 1 quality maker or an absolute steal.
4. If I see something I like but am not sure, I carry it with me until I make up my mind
5. Sizing varies widely brand to brand and location to location. Just cause the lady put it with the larges does not mean it is a large. a Polo button down L classic fit is as big as many other makers' Xls. I know folks who are harder core than I who "shop" with a tape measure and have their measurements memorized i.e. pit to pit is 44. Seam to cuff is 25 etc.
6. If you let it sit and come back tomorrow, it will rarely be there.
7. Sometimes it ends up being a miss. Flip it on ebay or donate. Simply part of the process.
8. If it has a zipper and it is not YKK, that is almost always game over
9. Anything made out of nylon, I look for the brand name Cordura.
10. Prices have gone up considerably in the last 5 years
11. I avoid anything made in the PRC.
12. Made in USA and Europe is always a plus.

I tend to hold myself to the following price points USD:

Dress shirts 10
Ties 5
Shoes 10
Bags/Backpacks/Luggage 10
Pants 10
Pocket Squares/Hats/Scarves etc. 3
Cuff Links/Tie bars etc. 5
Blazers 15

Best Flip- TAD Combat Pants- 5USD Sold for 75USD

Best Find- Briggs and Riley 10x12x8 Roller Bag for 5.00 with broken wheel/bumper. Repaired by B/R repair store for free. Retail was 350ish.

Goodwill has a fancy upscale "resale" brand in the nicer neighborhoods around here - focusing on higher end stuff, consignment lots, that kind of thing. I'd find something really nice on every visit - but those were $300 retail / selling for $60 deals.

Now I'm spending more time in a little thrift shop near my coworking space. Also quality goods in great shape, but more geared to the $5 and $10 crowd. I can let my kids loose with a $20 bill each and they'll come back with 10 great pieces of clothing.

Top Bottom