What's new

Thrift Store Shave Bowl

I went to a few local thrift stores and found a new shave bowl:

proxy.php

proxy.php

It was tarnished all over when I bought it, so I scrubbed it with Bar Keeper's Friend. I wish I'd taken a before pic, because it looks nothing like it did!

I think it's silver. It looks a lot like some tarnished silver bowls I found when looking up tarnished metals. It said it was a Paul Revere reproduction, and I'd hoped to be able to better read it when I cleaned it, but the words left with the tarnish.

I cleaned it because I want to develop my OWN patina, but I kinda regret that now. All the character is gone.

$4 for a shave bowl that won't break if my brush hits it is a great deal, I am pleased!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I went to a few local thrift stores and found a new shave bowl:

proxy.php

proxy.php

It was tarnished all over when I bought it, so I scrubbed it with Bar Keeper's Friend. I wish I'd taken a before pic, because it looks nothing like it did!

I think it's silver. It looks a lot like some tarnished silver bowls I found when looking up tarnished metals. It said it was a Paul Revere reproduction, and I'd hoped to be able to better read it when I cleaned it, but the words left with the tarnish.

I cleaned it because I want to develop my OWN patina, but I kinda regret that now. All the character is gone.

$4 for a shave bowl that won't break if my brush hits it is a great deal, I am pleased!
Looks like a good one and also repurpose a lost great bowl. I kind of find used possible lather bowls also.

What a find. The best I've found at a thrift store is a cappuccino cup and a small metal mixing bowl.
I was using a cappuccino cup before this, and I went to thrift stores to find a small metal mixing bowl! I kept leaving empty handed, because until this bowl, I never liked the wall height or shape of any of the potential items I'd found.

I love this bowl! It's so light, perfect height for my Zenith to not clang, and it fits on my narrow window sill by my tub. Woohoo!

Nice score. Are there any hallmarks on it?

If you want to check if it’s solid silver just pour some boiling water in the base. If it’s solid silver, the rim will be too hot to touch in a few seconds. Silver is an incredible conductor of heat. Much higher heat transfer than any other metal.

I’ve got mine buffed up to a mirror finish with diamond paste. I use it everyday. It adds a touch of class to the den.

I don't see anything stamped. There was something on the base, but it came off when I cleaned it with barkeeper's friend. Nothing deeply stamped in the metal.

I'll try the hot water test when I'm home in a few days!

Top Bottom