What's new

Thrift Store Lather Bowl Shootout

A competition between several thrift store acquisitions and a Timeless Blue, Marvy mug, and Old Spice mug.

Methodology (with apologies to any scientist and/or engineers out there):

Keeping with the thrift store theme, use an old inexpensive Burma Shave Brush and Old Spice Shave cream. Rinse the bowl out then apply a pistachio sized (I don’t care for Almonds) dollop in the bowl. Brush was thoroughly soaked prior to the first run and thoroughly cleaned after each run. Water was added as needed.

I could have gotten by with any of these, or any cup/mug/bowl in my kitchen cabinet, but I wanted to see which was the best. I was looking for good lather production and ease of use. I ranked them 1 to 11 based upon a very subjective, “Would I use them again?”

I have included photos with a tape measure and the timeless bowl in the shot for scale.

#1 “Timeless Blue” (Easy winner)

Pros: Very Easy to use, lightweight, no worries about dropping it, great/quick lather production.
Cons: Not very sexy (unless compared to a Cool Whip bowl).

#2 Tie “Bless Your Heart”

I had little expectation for this petite bowl. However it was sitting on a shelf just as proud of itself as it could be. A shiny glaze and colorful front made it stand out and it was sporting its little plastic lid like Elton John working a hat at a concert. I just bought it so it could be a team mascot… maybe throw a few blades in there for storage.

Pros: Shockingly quick, and good, lather. Lightweight and easy to hold. (Biggest surprise of the shootout).

Cons: Breakable.

#2 Tie “Metal Dimples”

This bowl had led a previous life as a candle holder and was just happy to be in the competition. The others voted it Ms. Congeniality and it was judged to be no threat… they were wrong.

Pros: Very quick lather producer. Comfortable to hold and no worries about breakage.

Cons: Lather tended to come up over the sides (wish it were a bit taller).

#4 Old Spice Mug (it is what it is)

Pros: Decent lather and a decent feel.

Cons: Breakable, wish it were just a touch taller and just a touch wider.

#5 Old TOBS Tub (again, another it is what it is)

Pros: I would be happy to travel with this and can’t complain even if using it at home.
Cons: It’s not even as sexy as the Cool Whip bowl.

#6 Frontrunner (I thought this would be the find of the day)

Pros: Looks good (like a small Col Conk Sante Fe bowl), feels very good in the hand.

Cons: A bit slow to lather up and the lather tended to spill over, breakable.

#7 Blue Barn (Another one I thought would be great)

Pros: Very nice glace, handle, looks great.

Cons: Just did not like it… the way it felt and the lather production.

#8 Weird Handle

Pros: Spacious.

Cons: Very difficult to hold… uncomfortable.

#9 Red

Pros: Decent lather and felt pretty good in the hand.

Cons: Breakable, too deep and narrow (brush handle kept clanking against the edge).

10/11 Tie (Neither deserve even a participation trophy)

Marvy: (Purchased a few weeks ago but just tried it today)

Pros: Unbreakable.

Cons: Too deep… my hand kept banging against the rim and I could not see what was going on down there. I just don’t like a deep mug. Tried it later with a long brush and still just did not like it at all.

White Bowl with Hot Tub attached

Pros: None. What was I thinking?

Cons: Breakable. Difficult to hold, too big… just a mess.

I will keep “Bless Your heart” and probably “Frontrunner” (going to work on my technique)

I have a Turkish copper bowl on order that will carry on for metal dimples
I will keep the Old Spice mug… because it is an old spice mug.

Anyway, that’s the way I saw it.

Slide1.JPG
Slide2.JPG
Slide3.JPG
Slide4.JPG

Mugs are generally face lathers tools used as puck holders & brush loaders. I guess the puck centering "tabs" on the old spice mug helped to generate lather.

Good review though.

Excellent and very timely review! I have the Marvy and the Timeless, but was looking for the perfect lathering bowl just this morning. For me, it has to be unbreakable. I drop everything, eventually.

I too have the same issues with the Marvy. The only upside is unbreakable. Will be an item in a PIF. Maybe someone with skinny, long fingers will love it.

The Timeless is nice, but there is something missing that I can't put my finger on... maybe a handle? or a notch for the brush? Different color, for sure! Of all the colors. They should have kept it neutral... a grey, black, natural etc.

If anyone has recommendations for unbreakable shaving bowls, please contribute.

Top Bottom