What's new

Thrift Store find - going to use it as a lather bowl

I walked down to a small thrift store near me - hoping to find some vintage shave stuff but they had nothing. Then I spotted this odd bowl and thought it might make a good lathering bowl. I can't tell what it's made of - it's not pottery. It might be wood but I almost think it's some kind of plastic and it probably is even machine made to look like it's hand carved. Or could it be hand carved wood?!? Either way it looks and feels pretty cool. The inside is smooth though so I'm wondering if I should take a stab at carving a few spirals into the surface of the inside to assist with lathering (or with holding the puck in place if I use it as a storage bowl for a puck of MWF or something).

Any ideas what this is?

1672265559252.png

1672265599573.png

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I walked down to a small thrift store near me - hoping to find some vintage shave stuff but they had nothing. Then I spotted this odd bowl and thought it might make a lathering bowl. I can't tell what it's made of - it's not pottery. It might be wood but I almost think it's some kind of plastic and it probably is even machine made to look like it's hand carved. But either way it looks and feels pretty cool. The inside is smooth though so I'm wondering if I should take a stab at carving a few spirals into the surface of the inside to assist with lathering (or with holding the puck in place if I use it as a storage bowl for a puck of MWF or something).

Any ideas what this is?

View attachment 1579054
View attachment 1579055
That's a beauty!!! Greay find and I'll identify it as your awesome lathering bowl. See how it does before scratching it up. Otherwise you can always find some nubs of one kind or another to superglue in order to help build that lather.

Looks like you can get a good grip on that thing. If it doesn't work out as a shave bowl (on you can lather in) you can use it to store a soap puck in. Lather on top of that.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
From its unique layered marks, I guess it is lacquerware.

Lacquerware is a traditional craft that is based on wood and other materials, and is repeatedly coated with multiple layers of paint made of natural resin, and finally carved. It can be waterproof and insect-proof.

Many fine oriental antique vessels or tableware in Japan or China are lacquered, and some are even decorated with gold powder.

Top Bottom