What's new

Three simple tips for edge care

Alfredo used my Oozuku hard asagi; hardness 9++, particle size 9+++. I believe the stone was from Alex Gilmore. As i understand, Alex has pulled back from online sales and does limited selling in person (California).

Thx,,, as used same type stone but interesting no slurry like in his vid
The edge however was awesome water 💧 only
Thx for these tips and this post
😀

With respect to slurry, it seems the trend has gone away from using naguras and moving towards using something like a worn Atoma 1200. I have read that many of the Japanese houses are doing this. My old notes from Alex state that Iwasaki-san and Mizuochi-san are now using the Atoma 1200 instead of naguras. If you watch my video again, you will see that the good doctor is using a worn Atoma 1200. And after creating the slurry on the stone, he uses a spray bottle to wash the remaining slurry off the Atoma and onto the stone.

So we can go from "throat cutter" razor to "forearm" or "palm" cutter......; I would suggest to people new to all of this to AVOID stroping with your skin....keep it safe. Why do newbies damage leather strops....they cut them.....now that in the palm....:cursing::straight::eek2:

Humm just re watched, somehow I missed first part with diamond plate
///////

I also note he used no tape on spine with this particular razor

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
So we can go from "throat cutter" razor to "forearm" or "palm" cutter......; I would suggest to people new to all of this to AVOID stroping with your skin....keep it safe. Why do newbies damage leather strops....they cut them.....now that in the palm....:cursing::straight::eek2:
It's quicker to develop a good stropping when using the underside of your forearm 😁.

Something about the quick and the dead.

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works here. With a hollow ground razor I go by sound. Be that 5 laps or 105 laps. Near wedge, quarter or half hollow razors, I strop until it feels right. I can't really explain how or why it changes, it just seems to do so to me. Again, I don't really count laps.

I have found some steels require more stropping before the sound or feel seems right though. Using X number of laps per razor doesn't work for me.

I don't palm strop, but do strop on my forearms when honing.
I experience the same, especially with "singing" razors. The pitch changes and the resistance on the strop increases. Under magnification you can actually see signs of plastic adhesive wear at the bevel plane and the edge. I do not think my palm can come close to doing this. I use palm stropping during honing, between stones, and when I apply oil to the blade after each shave.

can this help during a shave to keep your edge in good shape after stropping. or maybe even take out some of the unwanted tugginess? make it smoother?

I suppose you could try palm stropping if you experience tugging. But if you experience tugging, I'm not sure any form of stropping will help. If I feel a razor tugging, it's back to the stone.

Top Bottom