What's new

Three Platinum Izumos

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
As many of you know I really like Platinum (and Nakaya) pens and in particular the Izumo model. I've never tried the larger wood based Izumos but love the ebonite and urushi ones.

I've found that since each body/cap is hand turned they vary slightly in dimensions and weight but all still have a sensuous feel in-hand.

It's a fair size pen, large but not overwhelming and there are no straight lines only gentle curves; here you can see a Izumo Kurotame between a Platinum President and Montblanc 149.

proxy.php

There are four varieties of the basic Platinum Izumo, a Kurotame (all black), a Soratamenuri (a green undercoating with a black overlay), an Akatamenuri (red undercoating with dark red overlay) and a Biwatamenuru (a yellow loquat collored undercoating with a black overlay). I do not have one of the Loquat versions yet but perhaps someday even that will happen, but here are the first three for you folk to compare.

Top to bottom: Akatamenuri, Soratamenuri, Kurotame.

proxy.php

The nibs are all 18K and all the Izumos are cartridge converter filling and designed for the Platinum proprietary cartridges and converters. BUT, as with Nakayas, there is a small adapter that costs about a dollar and allows folk to use the International standard cartridges/converters.

proxy.php

I've found all of my Platinum and Nakaya pens to be moderately wet, reliable, and not ink picky writers. They just seem to work right out of the box. The last one though (Akatamenuri) was a little hard starting and dry but about ten seconds and two fingernails later it behaved just like all the others.

If you like Japanese pens and are interested in Urushi finished ones, the Platinum Izumo may be one to consider.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The adapter, not so much the pens, intrigues me.

It's a shame all companies that use proprietary cartridge/converter do not off something similar. I found it also works with the old Aurora DuoCart and earliest cartridge pens as well.

Top Bottom