What's new

Three Piece Suits, When did they go out of style?

I've been watching Boardwalk Empire. My GF and I have both been digging the three piece suits. this got me wondering. When did they begin to go out of fashion? I theorized the depression due to the cost of extra fabric, or even WWII. But I think they were still fairly prevalent through the 50's. Anyone know for sure? I tried googling it, but could not find the answer.

According til Alan Flusser in "Dressing the man", the three piece suit first lost its importance in the 1920's when central heating became common. Then the wartime fabric rationing put the last nail in the waistcoats coffin.

I still wear three-piece suits most part of the year. Hong Kong is hot, but they tend to overdo the air-conditioning here, plus that it make me look decently dressed even if I take the suit jacket off in the office.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I think they didn’t go out of style, but it’s just personal preference. I happen to like 3 piece suits because not only can I wear my pocket watch, but if I remove the coat…I still look professional.

That said, I also have many 2 piece suits, vests and various sport coats. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"Let them see you and not the suit. That should be secondary". Cary Grant

Attached Image - My 1936 Longines 14K, 16 jewel Pocket Watch attached to a 14K Double chain w/ a 14K small engraved (CBJ), pocket knife (to cut my cigars). The chain has four (4) Catholic and one (1) 'good luck' Charms attached and has a 'Mustard Seed' as the Watch Fob.

Attachments

• $wm_normal_my_pocket_watch.jpg
    $wm_normal_my_pocket_watch.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 651
They are slowly creeping back. A few years ago Jones New York was the only main stream brand I could find them in but now other companaies are branching out a bit.

My office looked at me like I had two heads when I wore them just a few short years ago. Now there are at least three other guys that wear them.

3-Pc suits were pushed out of style by the 80s Leisure Suits! Naw, that can't be right!

Anyway, things have gotten so casual now that I amazed anyone wears suits at all ... except funerals, weddings and NASCAR events.

(Seeing if you were paying attention!)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
According til Alan Flusser in "Dressing the man", the three piece suit first lost its importance in the 1920's when central heating became common. Then the wartime fabric rationing put the last nail in the waistcoats coffin.

I still wear three-piece suits most part of the year. Hong Kong is hot, but they tend to overdo the air-conditioning here, plus that it make me look decently dressed even if I take the suit jacket off in the office.

Not quite sure that I'd go so far back as the '20s, but certainly central heating had a good deal to do with it. Somewhere in the mists of time ... 20s, 30s, 40s ... the 3-piece took on a connotation and was worn by certain 'types' of men ... it's what the boss would wear, what the bankers and corporate big-wigs would wear, rather than fashionable gents and younger drone officeworkers.

The 3-p became a status symbol ... with some negative connotations thrown in. "I have arrived; I'm a successfull businessman ... but don't expect me to be hip, cool, or have any of my physical prowess left. I can afford expensive cigars and smoke them regularly, but don't expect me to be able to run for the bus. Of course, I don't have to take the bus anyhow, but still ... "

Of course, by the '60s, the 3-p was so out of tune with the slim aesthetic of the times that you pretty much had to be a Bond villain to wear one.

More recently, they have become one of the 'floats in and out of fashion' things, with less and less of those earlier negative connotations ... so if you personally like them, and either hit one of the "in fashion" times when you can find them in the store or want to go MTM/bespoke, then ... go for it!!

I guess I should have qualified that question: out of the mainstream style. Like I said, I love them and will be buying one. But they were once the norm (I think everyone in Boardwalk Empire wears one, if they are wearing a suit). I think all this info really cleared everything up. Seems it was just a lot factors.

They were around in the 70's to mid 80's at the latest. They were nice when you took the jacket off you still had something on, being the vest that is. Could also use your pocket watch and chain on the vest if you like. Don't know if you can get one today or not.

I still wear 3-piece suits pretty regularly around the office. Especially now that the weather is getting a little bit more brisk, here in Colorado, the necessity of extra warmth is becoming more prevalent. The double-breasted vests are very attractive, this season, and I'm considering having my haberdasher fit me for one.

Cheers!

I still wear one (I'm a 30 year old academic though) and I wore my three piece black/white herringbone suit today and I often wear my Bookster dark brown herringbone tweed suit to campus, too:
proxy.php

It's very nice in cooler weather and it's impressive since I layer up with a trench coat and hat (grey tweed hat or a black bowler). I wish I had a better picture though but that's the suit fresh from the box it was posted in last spring.

Suits will never go out of style, they might not be worn as much as they once where, but it is still the classiest clothing a man can wear.

Top Bottom